Match v. DøM

A run-jump-shoot key? Like for bunnyhopping around? That sounds like a very bad idea, in my opinion. Jumping or double-jumping constantly is the worst form of movement and I could prove it to you in a 1v1 sometime-- jumping moves you in a constant arc, providing easy headshots, it's slow, predictable, and hard to aim when you're doing it. The only macros I have on the nostromo are item-timing macros, and I don't use those except on newbie servers like Tribal Instinct that I don't mind getting booted from.

However, some people make a dodge macro so that they push the key to the left of their left arrow and it dodges them automatically left without having to double tap. I've never found it that useful but some people do.

Still, the nostromo n52 is a great leap forward in ergonomics and useful button placement. It feels pretty funny at first, especially coming from a keyboard, but once you've spent 2 weeks with it you won't want to go back. It's got this black plastic wrist rest on it that always felt weird to me, but it's adjustable to 2 positions by lifting it straight up off of the unit, so I just removed it completely and now it feels fine.

Here's my current key setup on the Nostromo (keys are numbered from left to right, starting from the top left corner, and left on the d-pad is the direction closest to the orange button):

Default Shift
01: Show Scoreboard
02: Translocator (never used)
03: Move Forward
04: Switch weapon to Shieldgun
05: 50 Shield Taken message
06: Walk (silences footsteps, useful for TAM and 1v1s)
07: Move Left
08: Move Down
09: Move Right
10: 100 Shield Taken message
11: Crouch
12: Cancel That message
13: not used
14: Damage Amp taken message
Scroll wheel up: FOV 80
Scroll wheel down: FOV 110
Scroll wheel pressed: stop all macros
Orange button: Cycle to next Shift color
D-pad left: Switch Weapon to Redeemer
D-pad down: Switch Weapon to Assault Rifle
D-pad right: Switch Weapon to Shield Gun
D-pad up: Weapon Thrown message, then Throw Weapon
15 (space bar key): Jump

Red Shift:
05: 50 shield teamsay timing macro
10: 100 shield teamsay timing macro
14: Damage Amp teamsay timing macro
All other keys function as usual

Green Shift:
05: not used
10: not used
12: not used
14: not used
All other keys function as usual. This is for when I don't need speech binds, i.e. TAM

Blue Shift:
No change from normal setup. Not sure what I'm going to put on Blue Shift yet.

Last edited:
I have always had problems when trying to use the keyboard so I'm a bit hesitant with any device that seems to be just a modified/mutated keyboard.

I wish I could play around with it before I make a commitment to it.

Back