Match v. pdX

Better teamwork is key. Several times, Shags was pinned down two-on-one and I was too far away to help; and the same with me.

Granted this was mostly on Goose2k4 which I am not familiar with, but still teamwork is key.

I am noticing a commonality with the teams we play:

1) They all are hitscan dominant. I haven't encountered a single team that doesn't use lightning or shock as a crutch.

2) They all stick together and have superior teamwork.

If we can master those things, we will win more often and become a stronger team all around.

In related news... Late last night I changed my colored name and am now much more stylish. :cool: :D

Last edited:
Well, like I said, there's a *server* demo of the first game...you'd have to ask Landslide/Kraniac (man, which one do you want us to call you?) if he can get into his server and pull it down. Besides, aren't you guys suppose to be recording your own demos? :)

I used to, but then he told me to stop recording my own demos because he would get them server-side; therefore I was only creating lag for myself.

Besides, maybe I want to see some of my bio-shots from the perspective of the recipient. :D

Oh, I just discovered that I have it set to automatically record demos! I have a demo of that match if you want it. It's client side of course, and there's a really really long warm up, so I'm not sure how useful it'll be for you. I also have a demo of our first round against those guys we played a couple of days ago.

Call me whichever you want.

Also, the reason you see so many lg/shock dominant teams is because hitscan is simply more powerful than projectiles in this game. The best gun hands down is the shock and lg is a close second. They aren't using it as a crutch; in reality, we aren't using it enough.

Killerah said:
I have a demo of that match if you want it.
Yes please. :D

kraniac said:
Also, the reason you see so many lg/shock dominant teams is because hitscan is simply more powerful than projectiles in this game. The best gun hands down is the shock and lg is a close second. They aren't using it as a crutch; in reality, we aren't using it enough.
The Railgun in Quake 2 & 3 is more powerful (raw damage-wise) than the LG and Shock Rifle comparatively; and you don't see nearly as much usage there. Also, the teams here use LG and Shock even when it's not practical; like short and mid range when the Flak or RL would be much more favored.

It's a strangely high amount of usage no matter which way you slice it; that's why I call it a crutch.

Well, I think it's only a crutch when it's something that they use to make up for/mask a weakness in another area. So far I don't think that's been the case...

And yea, I know *I* don't use shock nearly enough - it's one of the main weapons I'm weak with.

I'm not talking about raw damage alone. I'm talking about how it combines with other weapons, rate of fire, etc.

Map design is much different for ut2004 than it is for q3. Maps are generally more open, thus adding power to hitscan. As broadband becomes industry standard, pings have come down since the days of q2/q3, thus adding power to hitscan. The dynamics of weapon switching and weapon combinations are much different in ut2004 and most of the best ones involve the shock rifle or minigun. Also the rate of fire of a lightning gun is faster than the rate of fire of a railgun. Rockets in ut2004 move slower than in q3 or even ut1999 and thus have a shorter maximum effective range. CPMA weapon switching is closer to ut2004's weapon switching than q3's is (although CPMA, to me at least, most closely resembles 2003's weapon switching), and in CPMA you see more use of the railgun than you do in vanilla q3. Granted, however, I have not spent more than a few hours observing CPMA matches and from what I hear CPMA is very, very deep.

Yea, CPMA's pretty insane...basically takes all the best and most compatible movement tricks from all three Quake games (air control and weapon switching from Q1, ramp/crate jumping from Q2, strafe jumping from Q3) and put 'em into one game, and then release really high quality map packs that are built around these physics and one on one/small TDM matches.

It's sorta fallen out of favour as of late - the game engine IS pretty old now - but I'm not sure if there's any other game out there that was as demanding, physically and mentally, than CPMA.

I only speak as an outside observer though - I never played it enough to get to the level where I could compete with even the weakest players on a CPMA pub server - but just read some of the articles written about the game, about the tricks (physical skills) and map strategies (mental skills)...yea, pretty insane.

As for the shock, yea, Kraniac's right. Rate of fire is higher than the LG, you can do pseudo-juggling with it thanks to the kick back and jump when you hit opponents with it, damage is good (for shock hits will take you out if you don't have shields) and it's versatile (fat shock for hallways, hit scan and shock combo for explosive attacks). I'm not going to get into that Quake vs. UT conversation though. :)

Back