Max Payne 2

T

Tyler_Durden

Well i noticed a link in the Planet Deus Ex forums to your website and i figured hey what the hell why not take a gander at some of your game reviews. For the most part, they are positive (i rarely saw below 80 percent on any game at least in the shooter section) so its nice to see that you Christians are a cheerful lot.

But cmon now, why give a great game like max payne a low ratin' just cus of its mature themes? The whole game is the bloody noire portrayal of one man's fall into insanity, so you can bet its going to use some pretty graphic and disturbing themes as the engine for its compelling story. You don't buy a game like that if you aren't looking for some grim ####! Well in any event, I loved Max Payne 1, and i've just finished MP2 which is clearly alot better , and just as dark. (UNfortunately no baby slaughtering in the new one but the body counts are comparable in both games). So I would ask you to be a little more fair if you review Max Payne 2, as it is a great game made better by its mature portrayal of love, death, and slow motion weapons akimbo cinematic action sequences.

Blaze one max!

And i'm Christian too, but I frankly don't like to involve my religion with games cus honestly most games are going to bump heads with Core Christian values at some point or another?

Why?

Simple. Cus games give us the freedom to do stuff we can't always do in real life, like kill, pump up on heroine etc etc.

Anyway, you've got a nice site, and I had fun  laughing my butt off when you suggested that the "sorceresses in warcraft 3 cover their midriff" and such mumbo jumbo! Hah, you guys are lots of fun! Keep the Christ Powered, high octane reviews coming guys, and dont stop thumping those bibles!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tyler_Durden @ Dec. 28 2003,3:24)]And i'm Christian too, but I frankly don't like to involve my religion with games cus honestly most games are going to bump heads with Core Christian values at some point or another?
So you are basically telling God to go sit out for a while while you fulfil some sinful desire or another? Shouldn't be that way. Rather the opposite. Now since these are games that we are talking about, something that is neither right nor wrong in a general sense, most people don't have a clue about how they should feel towards them. IN using my example from 1 Corinthians 8 again, I'll put my opinion on all this again. First off, I play games for just that, and no more. Does the content of games bother me. For the most part, no, as I do not mind in the least bit a ton of violence and blood and gore in a game, and some games liike DOOM and Diablo that have occultic stuff in them, again, some people have a problem with this stuff, but I do not becuase I place no value or merit in worldly falsities, and I will pla games that have that stuff in them as long as they do not promote it. Now when it comes to sexual themes, here I draw the line for myself, as I will not deliberately put myself in a position that might cause me to sin. What all this has to do with the passage I gave earlier is this: Paul was talking about eating meat sacrificed to idols, whether it was right or wrong. Is it? No, because after all, it is just meat, but some people, and there is nothing wrong with this, still will associate it [the meat] with the idol, as if something was done to the meat, but in reality there was nothing done to it, as again, an idol is false, and therefore what merit or credibilty could be placed in it or anything regarding it. None at all. SO he told people that if they truly had no problem with eating the meat, that it was fine for them to do so, if their faith had grown to the point the undoublty trusted God in this area of their life. To those who did have a problem with it due to its associations, he advised them to stay away from it so it did not lead them into sin by recognizing the idol as something more them being false. Apply this to games and other things today that the Bible does not specifically talk about, and you will be able to draw biblical conclusions regarding varioos situations.

On a side note, reviews of anything reflect the reviewers opinion, and since there is no way to factually say that one game is better then another, every opinion given by a person about a game has merit, altho some people may disagree and have their own opinions. As for the game Max Payne 2, never played, so don't really have an opinion. Will I play it, probably not, as I'm not a big fan of third-person shooters, and I perfer getting more then 10 hours of game play out of a game.

we try not to be fan boys/girls of game, yes there are many fun games out there that have objectionable content so we factor in game play/graphics/sound and to make our site unique; appropriateness. A game can get an F in Appropriateness and still score decent, take Armed and Dangerous for example. Parents and Christians find the site useful, others get a laugh out of it, in the end everyone benefits.
laugh.gif

thanks for stopping by, try to keep an open mind.

hah! No problem, im glad you guys take all your religious business with a grain of salt.

can't WAIT to see what Doom 3 gets in the approprietness portion of the review LOL! I was playing the Alpha today and It's one hell of a gory ride, complete with instestine spilling half dead corpse welded to a glowing pentragram and other cool stuff like that made all the more intense by the wicked graphics!

mad.gif

biggrin.gif

well the purpose is to point out what's in games, even if it doesn't bother me. Yes I am Christian, yes I play games I don't cram the Bible down people's throats in the reviews. If people want to talk faith, that's where the forums come in.

And as I've said before, these games, like Doom 3 and Max Payne did revolutionize the genre. Same with GTA. BTW, I wrote the Max Payne review....personally, I found it highly objectionable, dark, and disturbing. This coming from a guy who loves film noir, like the classic A Touch of Evil. I love dark, dystopian movies. Maybe it's because I'm so discontented with the way the world is today that I can see all of this crap that is going on is turning into a possible future exhibited in science fiction dystopian stories, like 1984, or Blade Runner.

However, on the subject of Max Payne, the game is just plain disturbing. Sure, it's innovative. Sure, people bought it. But they did the same with GTA, and Dead to Rights, and True Crime. Probably the best part of Max Payne: former WCW wrestler Maxx Payne is suing because of Rockstar playing off his success. It's not like I hate Mature games, either. I love the Resident Evil series, I love Halo, and I love Metal Gear Solid. I love playing shooters. They're often awesome games. Except for Minority Report (don't buy that). There's even games with minor occultic themes that I love, like Alpha Centauri.

Cheryl, I tried sending the commentary, but I couldn't get it to you. I got a flash drive for Christmas, so I'll try to send it to you that way in a couple of days.

wow, this kid is somethin else... your like one of those pretend christians... sorta along the lines of the seasonal christians which only show up to church on christmas eve and easter...
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]wow, this kid is somethin else... your like one of those pretend christians... sorta along the lines of the seasonal christians which only show up to church on christmas eve and easter...

Substantiate it or retract it.

I think he was getting at the part where he wished to keep his religion separate from gaming, meaning he did not wnat God at the center of all he does, and this sad way of life is usually held by people that only call themselves christians but in truth are not, and only follow church traditions. At least that is what I get from the first posters willful neglect of God.

Back