May 21, 2005

RED

The Heart of the Matter*

Read John 14:1-14

Jesus said to [Thomas], "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
-John 14:6 (NRSV)

DON was a brilliant student who became an outstanding pastor. I remember the turning point in his spiritual and academic life. One day he asked, "Professor Morris, what's the heart of the matter? During my undergraduate work, I was bombarded with philosophies and ideas that were often diametrically opposed to one another. What is the center -- the heart of it all?"

I responded, "Jesus Christ is the Son of God, Lord of Creation, and Savior of the world. By God's grace, he is our Lord and Savior. Allow that truth to move from the top of your head to the bottom of your heart, and you'll never be the same." That is the heart of the matter.

The center of faith and life is not a philosophy but a person. The "heart of the matter" is Jesus Christ, "For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell" (Col. 1:19).
George E. Morris (Georgia, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Lord Jesus Christ, help us to bear witness to your all-sufficient grace and love. Amen

Back