May 24th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
The Reality of Grace

Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you.

-Isaiah 41:10 (NRSV)

MANY years ago, I taught in a teacher's training college. As a young teacher I was involved with several Christian activities. On Saturdays I would take a team of Christian students to share their faith in nearby villages. First the group would sing to gather the people. Then, following a short message, we would distribute Christian literature. Because I was acquainted with the Bible, I was expected to give the message.

I soon discovered that though I knew the biblical texts, I was not able to communicate the love of Jesus and his forgiving grace. On one occasion I opened my Bible, read the above verse from Isaiah, and confessed my inability to preach with conviction. Suddenly, I felt within my heart a new joy. I realized that knowing the Bible and experiencing God's grace are two entirely different things. I could feel God's grace surround me. And feeling that grace changed my life.

At the end of that school year, I left my teaching job to attend seminary. For the last 50 years I have experienced God's faithfulness -- often in very trying times. God continues to strengthen me daily. I know that grace is real.

S. K. Parmar (Andhra Pradesh, India)

Prayer
God of all the world, give us the courage to proclaim your love wherever we are and in whatever we do. Amen.

Back