Mike & Bob's ICC Run

No raiding until I get my new computer (no firm date yet) but wish you all the best of luck in there and hope to return if there's room once I'm up and running again :)

Sorry about not being able to make it last night. When I got on, I decided to try a few bg's on a couple of lower toons. Everytime I went in, I would lockup or dc a couple of minutes later. Tried disabling my mods and it still did it. Tried to enter a couple of instances on 3 different toons and the same thing happened. Was pretty frustrating and needless to say, I didn't think me trying to run ICC would have been a good idea. Hopefully I can figure out what it is with one of these hotfixes that has caused my system to go wonky or that Bliz can figure it out. Sent them a msg with the issues and my system stats but as of yet, no reply.

Why tank damage has gone up dramatically in ICC lately:

If you've been tanking since patch 4.0.1 dropped and noticed you were taking more physical damage, it's not just a case that you lost armor in the class changes. Armor also does less now. Poster Valen performed a test on the first boss in Forge of Souls and reported some changes observed with the way damage was mitigated. Ghostcrawler (lead systems designer) soon responded that yes, the formula for armor value and its mitigation had been changed for Cataclysm. Furthermore, those changes are in place as of now, meaning that if you feel like you're suddenly taking a lot more physical damage in ICC, well, you probably are.

It's probably less of an issue for me since I tend to prioritize mitigation stats over EH anyhow. It felt (to me) like the change didn't make much difference, as if the armor nerf and the mitigation buff were about equal.

But then again, I wasn't healing me.

Another discription in words of how to deal with the defile/Valk situation:

That said, these abilities can occur in 3 separate ways: a) each several seconds apart, b) Valk quickly followed by defile, and c) defile quickly followed by a Valk. Someone in your raid (but really everyone) should be watching DBM timers to see what is coming next and how soon another ability follows. Based on what's called out, either stack or spread.

The first scenario is the easiest and doesn't warrant explaining.

For the second scenario, someone calls out "Valk soon, defile right after." Everyone stacks close in the middle. Valk spawns. Get a stun on it. Everyone immediately spreads back out loosely around the edges of the inner circle. Defile spawns. Nearby people avoid it. If spread properly, it should never hit a 2nd person. As for the person it targets, it's fine if it ticks once or twice on him. As you said, sometimes latency is an issue for some players. The mechanic is forgiving enough to accommodate my often 500+ms latency.

For the third scenario, someone calls out "defile soon, valk right after." Everyone spreads loosely around the edges of the inner circle. Defile targets one player and spawns. Everyone runs back toward the center in preparation for the Valk (be aware of who the defile was on and shy away from that person's quadrant within the circle, in case it grows a little more than desirable.)

As far as your specific issue goes (basically scenario 2), just make sure someone stuns the valk. It's paramount that your melee and tanks don't stack up anywhere, let alone on the valk if defile is about to spawn. Stun the valk, wait for the defile, run around to the outside of the defile in the Valk's path and resume melee dps + snars, stuns and slows when the valk reaches them. Executed perfectly with snares and stuns, you can kill a valk before it moves more than 5-8 yards. There's no rush. Avoid the defile first.

Also the Lich King Warning Pack is uploaded into the file storage area on TeamSpeak3 in the lobby. Right click on the lobby, select 'open file browser', file is labeled ICCLichKing... download unzip and install. You really only need the LKwarning folder in your addons...

Great Progress!!

Saturday was a GREAT RUN. We made some wonderful progress and saw Phase III for the first time.
That being said, plenty of avoidable mistakes were made (including several by yours truly). :(

Execution, Execution, Execution is our key to vanquishing the LK.
We all have the gear and Healing/DPS/Tanking madd skillz - so let's do it. :)

Back