Minecraft

Quick question when you register a new account at minecraft.net is the username you put in the one that is displayed to others, like in their forum/on a profile, or is it a private username that is used for logging in only. I really wish sites would learn to clearly show the distinction :/ .

Not sure I'll get the game or not. Minecraft sure looks right up my alley unfortunately too much so as in I'm thinking if I play it it will suck up way to much of my time >.< .

Oh I bummed across an interesting article. I'll just post the article here due to content/language reasons elsewhere on the site.

PayPal Freezes $750K in MineCraft Dev's Account said:
The creator of MineCraft has run into a bit of a snag with PayPal, which has frozen his account with over $763,000 in it and refuses to let him touch it.
Because it's a struggle for me to scrape together 750 bucks, much less 750 thousand, I can't really imagine how much it would suck to have it but not be able to get at it. So I'll let MineCraft creator Markus Persson describe the situation in his own words.

"Paypal. On the 25th, they limited my account for unspecified reasons (a suspicious withdrawal or deposit! wow, thank you for that amazingly detailed information), and asked me for a bunch of vague documents. I did my best to give them what they asked for," he wrote on his blog. "My account is still limited. I've called them three times, they keep telling me it's being reviewed. Most recently they told me it'd take up to two more weeks for it to get resolved, and that if they decide something bad's being going on, they're going to keep the money. There's over 600000 euro in there. Money I was planning on investing in the new company."

In response to people suggesting that it's somehow his own fault for letting all that money build up in a PayPal account, Persson noted that he actually clears out his account every week. "They limited my account just as sales started spiking, so this money has accumulated since they limited the account," he said.

One obvious question emerges from Person's ongoing troubles with PayPal: How the hell does one guy rack up more than three quarters of a million dollars off a single indie game? My first thought was that it had to be a typo, but apparently MineCraft is just a really good game. As one commenter on Slashdot noted, "I bought the game a couple of months ago and every other game in my collection had been neglected... Single player is an amazing time waster, it's so easy to get completely sucked into a world made up of giant pixels. It's one of the best indie games I've ever tried and it's made by just one guy."

Persson said he's sure he'll get things sorted out, but described the situation as "kind of frustrating" in the meantime. Hopefully he'll have better luck than Something Awful did during its 2005 run-in with PayPal: After raising over $30,000 in nine hours to aid Red Cross efforts following Hurricane Katrina, SA's PayPal account was frozen for suspicious activity, ultimately resulting in all donated funds, minus service fees, being returned to donators.

YAY Paypal you never cease to surprise me with your scummy tactics (and I have some experience in this department).

Looking very nice!!! But I have a question...how are you uploading full rez files in photobucket?

Control+print screen -> control-v to MS Paint. :)

Gerbil: I paid them directly with my credit card.

Last edited:

Ah well unfortunately I only have Pay Pal to use :/

What about putting in the username on their web site though? Is your username viewable to everyone or is it private? I use two different usernames. If it's going to be viewed I use The Mighty Gerbil or some such variation but if it's private I use a higher security one. I'd just try it myself but if I use the wrong one I end up with two accounts and twice the spam. I have so many useless extra accounts as a result XD .

Last edited:
Control+print screen -> control-v to MS Paint. :)

But when I upload to photobucket it shinks them down badly... :p

Ah well unfortunately I only have Pay Pal to use :/

What about putting in the username on their web site though? Is your username viewable to everyone or is it private? I use two different usernames. If it's going to be viewed I use The Mighty Gerbil or some such variation but if it's private I use a higher security one. I'd just try it myself but if I use the wrong one I end up with two accounts and twice the spam. I have so many useless extra accounts as a result XD .

Your username will also be your characters name in game...

Also...it will suck away all your time...I have went quite a few days only getting 3 hours of sleep because I was up so late...so pacing yourself from the start is a good idea...

EDIT: if you end up playing, join my server, http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_166189806740992 , multiplayer is a lot more fun (IMO) than single player...plus we all work together creating the world...we currently have 4 people active and will have another definitely joining at the end of this week... :)

Last edited:
EDIT: if you end up playing, join my server, http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_166189806740992 , multiplayer is a lot more fun (IMO) than single player...plus we all work together creating the world...we currently have 4 people active and will have another definitely joining at the end of this week... :)

I've been watching a youtube series of a guy playing it and I can see my goal on your server now.

Step 1: acquire lots of red stone and tnt
Step 2: hide tnt under all your houses
Step 3: create hidden master control to all tnt
Step 4: declare self ruler of server :D

No I wouldn't actual do that but it's cool you could :p .

I think creating a labyrinth of terror and challenging people to find the hidden treasure in it would be neat though :)

I've been watching a youtube series of a guy playing it and I can see my goal on your server now.

Step 1: acquire lots of red stone and tnt
Step 2: hide tnt under all your houses
Step 3: create hidden master control to all tnt
Step 4: declare self ruler of server :D

No I wouldn't actual do that but it's cool you could :p .

This would be very possible...but my server is password protected, and that would make me have to lay down the ban-hammer... :p (It is an actual written rule: Do not destroy other's structures...even though my server is backed up on and off-site once a day...)

I think creating a labyrinth of terror and challenging people to find the hidden treasure in it would be neat though :)

I thought about this...but haven't had the time to do anything of the sort, due to all the other stuff I am doing in MC...LOL... It would be awesome if you put one together on my server :D

I had to pry myself off my computer last night when I was working on my house, haha.

Due to the (unexpected) popularity of my server, and some people not using facebook (slackers), I am currently making a website/webpage for my Minecraft server... Most news and updates and that junk will only be viewable through the Facebook group...however, IP address changes and major downtime/update news will be found on this website/webpage...

Here ya go (will be going through many changes and updates in the next few days: http://xtsp.zssites.net/new/minecraft/

I can't hold out any longer, I need to get Minecraft. I'm surprised it took me this long to cave in.

So I bought the game, downloaded the .exe, but when I try to start it I get this message-
Could not find the main class: net.minecraft.MinecraftLauncher. Program will exit.
Anyone know what that's about?

Didn't seem to work.

If you are on Vista, that's the issue...but I am not sure how to fix it...but does it work when you play from the website...you can play the alpha from the website...but if that doesn't work, it isn't the game...and might be an issue with your java...there was a fairly recent java update...

EDIT: After reading a little more into it, it is a Java issue...and should fix with the recent update... :p ...if not...reinstall Java...the "cannot find main class error" is a Java error...

Last edited:
Back