Money: Stewardship vs. Provision

Well, my family has come to the decision that my wife will stay home with our 2 year old, as we believe we have been called to make the necessary sacrifices in our lifestyle to make a better home for him. Obviously, finances are a major concern, as my job alone will not be sufficient to make all of our bills consistently. We've got a bit of a nest egg built up, and I'm in line for a promotion and pay increase at work, so I'm not too worried... but my thoughts have been on money and how I as the provider for the family will be able to do that by myself given our current state.

So, I'm going to do a topical study on money. I'm basically going to take a look at any verse that mentions either money, provision, or stewardship. My goal is to determine how much of our finances are our responsibility and how much we should lay at the feet of the Lord. I mean, we can pray to God to show us a job opportunity, but unless we fill out the application, go to the interview, and then perform adequately, we won't be getting a paycheck. (Whether or not we had a choice in the matter or if it was predetermined is another topic for another day.)

Questions I have before I start this project:
1. Are there any verses that you guys know of that I should pay special attention to? Maybe one or two that have impacted how you look at finances?
2. Would you like me to report my findings here?
3. Is there anything in particular you think I should specifically look into within this topic that could benefit me in my situation, or you in yours?

I would make sure everything adds up and then rely on god for spending money, if I were you. Cut your incoming after you've studied your outgoing and don't make the switch until you know how to get column B down to column A.

If the payrise or Lucky the Leprechaun's lucky charms come through for you, then that's all to the good, but it's way easier to spend extra money than pay extra bills. Believe me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done my study, and WOW, did God's word open my eyes.

I started out the study trying to figure out what % of finance was my responsibility and what % was God's. I figured out that, basically, things are 100% my responsibility and 100% God's... just as marriage is 100% husband and 100% wife, just as salvation is 100% God calling us and 100% our acceptance of His call, just as Jesus was 100% God and 100% man.

Specifically, there are several things I am responsible for:
1. Realizing that nothing I have here on earth is totally my own, but rather that everything I "own" is actually just on loan from God.
2. Being a good steward of God's property. (His stuff, not the gospel choir.)
3. Not worrying.

However, the passage that made the most impact on me was the parable of the dishonest manager. Luke 16:1-9 is copied below from the NKJV:

1 He also said to His disciples: "There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. 2 So he called him and said to him, 'What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.' 3 Then the steward said within himself, 'What shall I do? For my master is taking the stewardship away from me. I cannot dig; I am ashamed to beg. 4 I have resolved what to do, that when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.' 5 So he called every one of his master's debtors to him, and said to the first, 'How much do you owe my master?' 6 And he said, 'A hundred measures of oil.' So he said to him, 'Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.' 7 Then he said to another, 'And how much do you owe?' So he said, 'A hundred measures of wheat.' And he said to him, 'Take your bill, and write eighty.' 8 So the master commended the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light. 9 And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home.

I had always just glossed over this passage and taken it at face value-- that we should be shrewd in our business dealings. However, when I considered it from a spiritual perspective, I asked myself some questions.
1. How often have I, the steward, mismanaged the rich man (God)'s resources?
2. Don't I deserve to be fired for the way I manage His resources?
3. Who is it that can give me an everlasting home? (Jesus, of course.)

So, we are called to use our resources to "befriend" the one who can take us in and save us from being left out in the cold when the just rich man rightfully fires us. We need to use what we have been given stewardship over to further the work of Jesus.

I realized that for my entire life, I've been working for a paycheck, not working to further God's kingdom. That is changing right now.

It sounds like you made some incredible discoveries. Thank you for sharing them.

I realized that for my entire life, I've been working for a paycheck, not working to further God's kingdom. That is changing right now.

On another note, I have also noticed in my own life that when I work for Him instead of the person on Earth, the quality of my work improves too. Is that right? Mmmm, probably not. I should be giving the same excellent quality no matter what. Just something I have observed.

Gen

At Westminster Chapel in London, they started each service for 20 years by reading Revelations chapters 4 and 5. Why? To fix their eyes on the coming Kingdom and it's glory and majesty, and then use that as a filter to see their lives through.

When we have a firm focus on God's vision for our lives, we can't help but do better work. If we focus on the drudgery of the task, we will lose focus on the ultimate goal. As the old spiritual goes, keep your eyes on the prize.

And yes, that was a pretty startling revelation to me. In fact, my behind is very sore from how hard God's been kicking it lately regarding my attitudes about things.

Thanks for sharing this. I love the concept of reading Revelations chapters 4 and 5 to fix our eyes on the Goal. I may talk to my hubby about doing this a bit more regularly

Gen

Thank you WB for taking the time to share this with us. It is truly a blessing. I love how you spoke of giving 100% in all things.

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
When we have a firm focus on God's vision for our lives, we can't help but do better work. If we focus on the drudgery of the task, we will lose focus on the ultimate goal. As the old spiritual goes, keep your eyes on the prize.

This reminds me of Brother Andrew Lawrence. I am not sure if you are familiar with him but he learned to Practice the Presence of God as the book title suggests, even in the most menial of task, always giving his 100% and always focusing on the Saviour.

This book is in the ccel.org library.
http://ccel.org/ccel/lawrence/practice.ii.html
Thank you again for sharing, the Holy Spirit used your words to speak to my heart.

Sounds like you found the best advice there is. God's Word and His voice. The three you stated are essentially the same three things I would have said too. I would also add a fourth one: Thank God for being the Faithful Provider. I have many stories of God's provision in both my own and my family's life.

Thanks for sharing your findings. This is a topic I really enjoy. I enjoy studying personal finances and have always wanted to arrange a study at church on Biblical finances.

I do recommend taking a look at Larry Burkett's book "Women Leaving the Workplace". It's been many years since having read it, but I remember getting some good insight from him. I have enjoyed all his financial books.

There is more to this than finances. It will change the family dynamics and personality issues may arise. With you both working, perhaps you both come home and feel equally responsible for your child. If your wife stays home with your child, she may feel it is now your time when you come home from work and she can take a break. Plan now what types of cheap/free things there are to do during the day in your area. Play at the park, go to a wading pool, read books at the library, etc. Your child will probably want to get out. How will you and your wife react to an unclean house?

I hope I'm not scaring you, but these are real situations you may need to deal with and it is extremely important to discuss potential issues with your wife, prior to the issues getting out of hand.

My wife quit work 3 months after we got married as we wanted to start a family right away and wanted to give her time to just relax and enjoy herself. Our kids are now 4 and 6 and there are HUGE benefits to having my wife at home. She is so good with our children, and they love her right back. There are so many things we would have missed had she not been at home with them. Believe me. It is very tough on my wife. It can be extremely tiring some days, but she states she wouldn't want to have done it differently.

I hope you come to clear decision. I pray all goes well.

It will change the family dynamics and personality issues may arise. With you both working, perhaps you both come home and feel equally responsible for your child. If your wife stays home with your child, she may feel it is now your time when you come home from work and she can take a break.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head with that one. That is a HUGE issue with us right now. I don't mind much, because there is nothing in the world that can tear me away from my son in the hour or so I have with him between when I get home and when he goes to bed... but weekends is a different story. At least we are in agreement that we will work those things out, and if there's something that either of us want to do, the other is de facto babysitter. Thanks for the advice.

Back