Moonking Raiding 101

Angryson

This thread is intended to help all my fine feathered friends who decide that they would like to better themselves at being at true Boomkin in end game raiding.

First off...a TON of the info I pull from is found at elitistjerks.com. This link takes you directly to the druid forums. There is a plethora of information here if you're willing to wade thru all their theorycrafting and number crunching.

SPEC
For starters we'll talk about spec'ing. Your ICC build should look something like this. You can switch one point out of owlkin frenzy to grab typhoon if you feel like you need to have it for adds on Saurfang. There is no real need to take points in mana regen talents as well. With gear and raid buffs, the only time you will run into mana issues is if you're spamming hurricane or helping heal. There are also other small tweaks you can make, but this is your best bet for all around high dps...especially single target.

STATS
Your #1 stats to watch for is your hit. With the previous spec listed above, your hit cap is 263. I would advise against using +hit gems since you will hit the cap just by farming emblem gear and a couple other pieces. After hit is spellpower. Spellpower is your strongest stat after the hit cap. Nothing tops it...EVER. After SP is haste. The soft haste cap (to bring your wrath down to a 1 second cast) is 401 with Wrath of Air totem (from a shaman) or 585 without it. Your best bet is hitting mid 400's since there might be server lag, user lag, etc. After haste is crit.

In short Hit>>>Spellpower>>>Haste>>>Crit

GEAR
Gearing will follow your stat priority. As a new 80, you will want to just farm random Heroics using the Dungeon Finder until you have your 4 piece T9 gear, idol,Band of the Invoker. For choices on which T9 piece to leave out, I would personally get the 245 head piece instead of the tier IF I could afford to miss out on the hit. If you need the 72 hit it gives to stay above hit cap, then sub out your Tier shoulders for these.

Once you've exhausted all your Emblem of Triumph gear, it's on to Emblem of Frost stuff! As soon as you hit 80, you should be doing whatever you can to get as many of these bad boys as possible. As of right now, the only way besides killing bosses in ICC is doing your Daily Random Heroic, Weekly Raid, and 10/25 Vault of Archavon (VoA). Make sure you stay on top of your Frost Emblems as they are hard to come by and take a while to accumulate.

On choice for Frost gear, I would buy your T10 pieces and get your 4 piece set ASAP. Again, you only want 4 pieces as you can sub out 1 piece of 251 tier for a 264 non-set piece. I would suggest leaving out your tier hands and get these instead. Again, this is assuming you are able to stay over hit cap. Once you have your 4 piece T10 and 264 hands, grab up your new idol.

Updating after my Physics final

Last edited:
GEMS

Runed Cardinal Rubies will be your #1 gem found in gear. For your Meta, you will want a Chaotic Skyflare Diamond. In order to meet req's, you'll have to socket two Purified Dreadstones somewhere(spell power + spirit). The only socket bonus you'll ever want to meet is a yellow socket with +5 spellpower or more; any other bonus/sockets NEVER match up to putting in a Runed CardRuby. For your Orange gem going in yellow sockets, you can go with a Reckless (+Haste) or Potent (+Crit) Ametrine.

SPELL ROTATION

The actual casting mechanics as of 3.3.3 for a solid casting sequence have been well fought over. Check Elitistjerks.com's "Moonking Raiding" Thread w/ over 3,400 replies and you'll see what I mean :p

What I have seen to work best for me is an adaptation of their countless testing (much thanks to them, of course).

Assuming you can proc Lunar Eclipse rather quickly, I will open with:
Faerie Fire
Insect Swarm
Moonfire (all WHILE RUNNING to wherever I need to be standing for that fight!)
Spam wrath until Lunar Eclipse procs
Spam Starfire
Reapply Insect Swarm after Lunar Eclipse is done and keep Starfire'ing
Spam Wrath once Solar Eclipse procs

BASICALLY you want IS up when you're spamming Wrath and MF up when spamming Starfire. The best time to reapply is after an eclipse.

Back