Music To Write To

tjguitarz

Hey all,

I've recently realized that I write so much more efficiently when I'm listening to some good tunes. Not like Pillar, Relient K, or the Newsboys, more along the lines of E.S. Posthumus. I was wondering if you guys do the same, and what it is you listen to.

TJ

oh definately. and it doesnt stop at writing. I do much better when i have my iPod plugged in and my brain working. I use it on homework, chores, even videogames. Music makes me calm and at ease (which is why i have to listen when i do my chores or else i would explode).

BTW: i have 260 songs, 169 of them are Christian. (and i only listen to those, the others are for my sibilings)

I've never thought of this before... good idea! (btw thinking back I do get cool ideas while I listen to music, for me it's dc talk)

Hi there,
I love listening to music when I write... in fact it is the only way I can write. For some reason my brain is backwards and I can only seem to write when I listen to secular rock. I am not sure why. I love picking out songs to represent my stories or set the moods in them. I used to love listening to Metallica and I wrote a story to go with their instrumental "Orion." Just my two cents...

Music is usually distracting to me - probably because I'm a musician and I can't help but aurally examine (and often, harmonically analyze) what I'm hearing. In fact, I rarely understand the words to most songs until I've heard them several times, because I'm too distracted by the underlying music. Also I have more trouble falling asleep when music is playing in the background, and then I don't tend to sleep as well.

I'm also a very ADD kind of person, which probably explains in part why I'm so easily distracted by virtually everything I see or hear. :rolleyes:

Paul

I use music when I write. It is always according to what I intend to write. Christain to write christain (contemp=my heart). I am still learning my skillz n low points and music may cause a problem within my writing. Perhaps I should be thinking and not listening, I Dunno but I am experimenting.

When I need background music for things that require really intense mental concentration, I usually listen to:

Autechre
Boards of Canada
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Explosions in the Sky
The Cinematic Orchestra
Sigur Ros
Thievery Corporation

If, on the other hand, I need music for something that requires really intense reflexes (i.e. UT2004 or table tennis) I usually listen to stuff by Dieselboy.

I usually listen to a random collection of music(not songs - no lyrics or voices) sucked from various games and TV shows while I'm writing. :)

I've crafted a Pandora station of mainly instrumental music that I listen to when I'm writing essays or (the little that I do) stories.

Nobou Uematsu (the Final Fantasy soundtracks), Hans Zimmer (Gladiator soundtrack and others), George Winston (piano impressionist), Joe Satriani, Dark One Lite, Paul Oakenfold, PPK, Lalo Scriffen (Mission Impossible and Dirty Harry soundtracks), Yoko Kanno (Anime soundtrackist: think Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in a Shell) and many others.

It can be linked from www.pandora.com/people/patronjude

Just be aware, it doesn't like to behave all the time -- sometimes it will play non-instrumental music.

thanks :) I'm constantly fine-tuning it. Coise you people-who-put-words-into-songs-that-sound-like-the-instrumental-ones-that-I -want!!! :)

The other 3 stations... one's Christmas music and the other two don't behave. lol.

Most of my work lately has been off the computer, but I'm just getting back on to made edits. I'm listening to Neirai's Elementalism station, and DUDE. It's awesome. Love the guitars.

Elementalism? dang! I just killed that station because I wasn't happy with it :p

Right now I'm working on a project with two of my stations -- one is classic rock and one is more modern rock. Once I have them fine-tuned, I'm looking to try figure out a question that's been nagging me for a while... What is it that classic rock has that modern rock is missing?

Maybe I'll try make myself a new elementalism-type station.

Joe rocks. Doesn't sing so well though, at least not last I heard, but I love his instrumental guitar stuff. He was never very popular down South but I got 'Flying in a Blue Dream' back when that album came out and was instantly hooked.

Paul

What I love about satriani is that his music is both technically difficult and extrmely catchy/listenable, unlike some other guitar heroes that are so technically superior that you can hardly stand to listen to them.

Back