Need Help Please

princessterri

Please someone help. I have an 11 year old son who wants to play an online rpg game that doesnt have any bad magic crap, he was reacently playing runescape and I really did not feel comfortable with the praying to alters and magic wizard stuff or the rune stuff because we know that runes are highly used in the Wicca. So please does anyone know of an online game that is suitable and that has pretty good graphics.:confused: I have only been able to find babyish games suited for 3 to7 year olds. While it is wonderful that we have games for that age group it just does't cut it for the tween crowd especially 11 year old boys. Thanks so much for the help.:)
Terri

Disney Toon Town....

My 8 and 12 year olds play it. It might be a bit cartoonish depending on your son.

World of Warcraft is not bad, but I would not let my son play it at 8. Maybe my daughter at 12. But, you also have the undead side of Warcraft which may make you uncomfortable.

Do you mind paying a monthly fee?

And what have you tried?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I do not mind paying a monthly fee for something that is good for him. As far as World of War Craft uh My husband checked it out and he didn't care for it to much, besides is'nt that a first person RPG , my son is more in to Command & Conquer, Star Craft, Battle for Middle Earth, Age of Empire, Ect. he really liked Rune scape but there again not to comfortable with that. He also wants something to be able to play online similar to Rune scape, to meet up with his friends so I guess it might need to be free for him to get his friends involved, but I know some of his friends parents would not mind spending money on something they could play together what did you have in mind? Once again thanks for the info, hoping to hear more.

Terri

princessterri said:
Command & Conquer, Star Craft, Battle for Middle Earth, Age of Empire, Ect. [...] He also wants something to be able to play online similar to Rune scape, to meet up with his friends
Aye, real-time strategy games don't focus on social interaction nearly as much as MMO (massively multiplayer online) games. Recommended RTS games: Dawn of War (and the Winter Assault expansion pack), Age of Empires III, and the always-groovy Starcraft.

World of Warcraft is (and someone correct me if this assumption is incorrect) the most popular MMO game out there right now. WoW has over 4.5 million subscribers and two Christian Gamers Alliance affiliates (TribForce and Tribe of Judah) have in-game guilds. If WoW has been ruled out, there's still Guild Wars (no monthly fee but includes a few scantily clad female characters) and Dark Age of Camelot (monthly fee and not as popular as World of Warcraft). If the content in WoW was deemed offensive, then GW and DAoC likely won't fly, either.

princessterri said:
As far as World of War Craft uh My husband checked it out and he didn't care for it to much, besides is'nt that a first person RPG
Nope! It's a MMO game.

There aren't too many online RPG's that you can play that don't have some measure of magic involved.

The only one I can think of that MIGHT be acceptable to you would be Anarchy Online. No magic elements there.

Unfortunately, its ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) rating is TEEN, as are most online games. There's also a BIG asterisk that states the rating may change during online play.

I recommend checking out www.esrb.com to help guide your decision.

Well... most MMORPGs either involve shooting each other to itty bitty pieces or magic.

(so I choose both :D but I understand why you wouldn't for your 11 year-old

i would never trust ESRB, ive always felt they either over rated a game or under rated it, (i.e. GTA series was under-rated. metal gear solid for ps1 and metal gear solid 2:sons of liberty over rated.) however, magic plays a role in almost any rpg type of game and is hard to escape from. i played FF7 from about the time i was 8 and never had any issues. however i believe that maturity plays a big part of things. how he percieves "magic" and other game images is very important.

We just found a new one.

Puzzle pirates i think is the name. It is free and my son has started playing it.

puzzle pirates is still around o_O yeah that could be a good one to setup with

Thank you all for your responses. It is not so much the magic or the shooting. As you all know Star Craft has alot of the gore and blood and magic. I guess it is really the whole Rune thing and well... the praying to alters to get prayer points, ect. I am not a parent that doesn't do research on the game before I say no. I just feel Runescape has some very questionable things, more so than any other game my son has ever played. When it starts to play with things in reality rather than things of fantasy that is when I think it just is'nt the best thing for my son. He is a very good kid and respects our judgement with out complaint, which is why I am trying so hard to find something he and his friends will really enjoy. The friend that he wants to play with is a PK's kid so his parents are pretty strict on what he can play, so suggestions are warmly welcomed. Silent Assassin- thank you for your reply and the info, I did veiw the other thread but sorry I really didnt find anything to helpful. I have checked out city of heroes, my son doesn't seem to interested but thanks, same goes for WoW he just does'nt seem to interested once again thanks. Any more info or suggestion are appreciated. Ircs- the pirate game were do I go for that? is there a web site?
Thanks everyone, Side note My husband and brother inlaw are BFME players are there anymore out there? they are always looking for people to play with.

princessterri said:
Thanks everyone, Side note My husband and brother inlaw are BFME players are there anymore out there? they are always looking for people to play with.
I played the first one. Don't anymore, but am seriously considering getting into the new BFME II that is coming out Feb. 28. I'd love to play with someone I can "know" (i.e. regular play times with the same people) rather than complete strangers.

Freelancer-
its a first person shooter RPG.(yes both) Its a space ship shooter that had me addicted for a good 3 months. Your a freelancer guy who can either trade goods or fight bad guys for money. The more money you get the better ships you get and the better guns you can equip on the space ships. You fly around an unbelieveably huge galaxy, gaining levels, and forming squads(groups) with other players online and get into mischief. I was impressed with the graphics. The only thing possibly wrong with it could be foul language, but I"m 80% sure there is no language.(its been a little while and I can't remember) worth looking into.

Back