New patch, warlocks, and deathcoil

Its 'I win' until the warrior hits berserker rage, intercept and hamsting followed by 2 big MS crits.

Assuming the warrior hasen't used it to avoid a regular fear cast, is not in zerk stance(which has its draw backs), or zerk rage is on cooldown(again assuming the ms warrior hasen't spec'd for death wish). If the warrior is lucky enough to get a crit string on you then its pretty much over. If not, or if he misses or some avoidence occurs, the warrior isen't angry enough to finish the job :) Lock fights are a toss up on my warrior. If the lock catches me with a fear I cannot avoid(ie out of zerk stance) I am pretty much done for. Even 2 fear casts before immunity woudl be enough to bring my health low enough from dots and possible insta cast shadow bolts that the fight is lost. If things go well. the lock is toast.

Perhaps I may not be popular, but I think lock fearing is balanced enough right now. The periodic damage breaking fear that seems to be implemented in the patch is excessive, breaking fear from a shadow bolt is a good thing. A chain fear senario where the lock is guaranteed to win is not fun, for either players in an engagement, there needs to be an element of challenge. Fears should not be broken by periodic damage imo, but any other forms of damage should break fears. The deathcoil horror effect shoudl be unbreakable, but short in duration. It is a fairly lengthy cooldown after all that ensures it wont be available constantly, and if it is short enough it will not be an I win button.

Warlocks are hardly easy mode, and that is a good thing. I've gone up against some amazing locks in battlegrounds that ate me alive, does that mean the class is op? Hardly. Sometimes your the windshield, and sometimes your the bug.

Sean

I dono my charge / intercept macro always puts me in zerker. The only time im out of zerker a quick change to arms for a charge. Not sure zerker has any drawbacks in a BG when a BG is all about quick offensive damage. =)

Last edited:
Well I've been playing around with fear/dots/nuking today, not in pvp in pve.. Granted I don't have DC yet so it may be different, but I've still been doing my 3 mobs at a time, dotting/fearing/nuking and still mobs for the most part aren't breaking fear..

<shrug>

The draw back of zerk stance being the 10% damage increase against. There already is not mitigation against the spell damage of the caster(lock in this case). The extra 10% does take its toll. I agree the benefits of increased crit chance and possible fear/incapacitate break is worth it, but it is a notable drawback.

Sean

My warlock is lvl 43 or so now. Once he dings lvl 48 I will try some pvp with my alleged "I Win" button. I will let you know how I see it from the warlock side. I know already my perception of warlocks as being top dog in pvp wained once I saw how weak they are vs rogues pre-DC.

Ok I have been 70 for a bit, and over the past few days have been pvping (is that a word?) here and there. First off I still have a lot to learn about the class in pvp, but I have a long way to go I am sure. This certainly doesn't make me an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I thought I would share my thoughts so far.

Deathcoil is every bit the "I win" button I thought it would be... in the right situation. Combination of felhunter and deathcoil (when it's up) gives an excellent 1-2 punch that will finish up any fight with a ranged caster (provided I didn't get 2-3 shot by a 3 minute mage) :p

Also, against any non UD character seduce + nuke is still a nice opener... especially when followed up by a DC as an "I win" finisher.

Against rogues who get the opener, I pretty much always die... unless I get help. Stun lock ftl :( I don't bother using DC when I have been stun locked and I get that little breather. Pretty much I am toast, and I just accept it. The only cooldown I will pop is ihot (instant howl of terror), to try and turn the tide. Most of the time they are either UD, or have a trinket so it does no good.

Warriors who know what they are doing just tear me apart, so I don't bother wasting my DC cooldown on them either most of the time... unless I get the opening shot(s). If I manage to get the opener, it can help turn the tides against a rogue/warrior... but only if it's close.

As others have said, fear is almost worthless since it seems like in BGs just about 1/2 of the horde is UD. :p I rarely use it, outside of ihot.

My most hated ability these days: Cloak of Shadows. Rogues already had the huge advantage against any warlock they could open up on... now basically they are unbeatable unless you have insane amounts of stamina and can outlast their initial stun lock, and still have enough health to last through a counter attack. It seems like I would need a huge amount of heath too.

Back