New Spamming Thread....

Icthus

So we are not taking nominations for the best spammers on the forums.

We are also looking for the best example of spam in a thread on the forums.

Go forth and uncover the fun the is the SPAMMAZORS!!!

MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS MAPS

er...either I'm really into geography, or I'm somehow getting this whole thing backwards...

steamloller.gif

I've been asked by the California Attorney General's Office to post this request for samples of spam sent to California residents, via California mailservers, from or advertising California companies that violate the California laws.

I'd like to ask that if people forward this elsewhere they do not just post the email address listed, rather forward either this entire post or the URL to the page on the CA AGs webserver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message is being posted at the request of the California Attorney General's Office.
The California Attorney General's Office is interested in obtaining information about spammers who are sending emails to Californians in violation of California law, particularly those who are operating from California. The spam posted in various newsgroups and mailing lists provides some valuable leads, but we would really like to obtain certain kinds of examples directly from individual recipients who would be prepared to verify, in a written statement under oath, information about spam they received.

Because of the potential for disruptions of our own network, we are not using a Department of Justice email address. For the same reason, we have opted not to post the names or email addresses of the individual DOJ employees working on this investigation. Instead, we are requesting replies to an external email address set up with samspade.org:

caspam@cadoj.samspade.org

We recognize that this approach may raise questions about the genuineness of this posting. To provide some assurance, we have been in direct contact with several regular participants in this forum, and have asked them to respond to this posting to verify its authenticity. we have also posted a notice on our own website confirming our request for certain types of spam to be sent to this email address. That notice is at: <http://caag.state.ca.us/_misc/content/spam.htm>

If you would prefer to submit spam samples in printed form, you can download and print our complaint form for that purpose, available at: <http://caag.state.ca.us/contact/unsolicited_email.pdf>. If you are submitting spam on paper, please be sure to include all headers.

At this time, we would like to receive samples of spam that meet all of the following conditions:

You are the recipient of the spam and you are a resident of California.
The spam was delivered via servers located in California.
(Sender's, recipient's or intermediary server will suffice).
There is some indication that the spammer is operating in California, such as:
a California telephone number or
a California address for orders.
If you can identify the spammer and have information from other sources showing that the spammer is in California, that will also work.
The spam fails to comply with the statutory restrictions. To comply:
the unsolicited advertising emails' subject line must begin with "ADV:",
the first text in the message must offer a toll-free number or functioning email address for removal of the recipient from further unsolicited emails, and
that statement must be in a type size as large as most of the other text.
[Note: The statute also makes it an offense to fail to honor a request for removal included as outlined above, and we would like to get evidence of specific instances of that involving California residents.]
We will only use the external email address for receiving emails. When we follow up on the submissions, we will do so by telephone or from an official email address (____@doj.ca.gov).

For those who are not familiar with it, the relevant statute is Section 17538.4 of the Business & Professions Code:

<http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=17001-18000&file=17530-17539.6>

Comments and suggestions are also welcome, preferably by posting here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Deut, have you verified that message? The email address listed to send info to looks dodgy to me. Could be spammers trying to spoof people into giving them their email addresses. That'd be a bummer.

That's assuming, of course, that you didn't just make that whole thing up, but that's WAY too much work for spam. Spam needs to be quick and simple.

So sayeth me.

Back