New to CS source, have a few questions

dorkelf

1 - What is a good way to practice this game? (I don't particularly like playing it with experienced players when I hardly know what I'm doing at all.)

2 - Where can I get strategic and technical info on the various CS weapons?

3 - Other than the E key how do I switch between weapons? (edit: or, um, maybe it was another key I was using...)

4 - How does knife fighting work, from a technical aspect? How close do you have to be to hit and how do you aim to do the most damage?

5 - What is the best strategy for using a sniper rifle in a tight, enclosed area?

I think my CS 'handle' is wcarey - if you see me logged in be sure to join the opposing team for some easy kills. :p

Paul

Last edited:
Hmm I don't play Source as much as I do 1.6 but I'll try to help out:

(1) Play with bots. There's 4 difficulties (I think) and while they're not too smart on any difficulty, they DO have wallhacks and aimbots.

(2) I checked CSNation, but all I see about Source is pre-release nonsense, and it wouldn't pertain to the updated version anyway. Steampowered would probably be your best bet there, there's thousands upon thousands of forum threads on help there.

(3)You can re-bind keys in the options menu OR you could download a buyscript equipped with quick-buy keys, quickswitch to weapons, and other goodies. I prefer the mousewheel to switch weapons, but quickswitches are fantastic once you get the hang of it. Counter-Script has a lot of options in that department (but I would stay away from things like burst fire toggles, most servers frown upon that, and I find them distasteful, seeing as how a lot of them toggle sensitivity and other such things). Autoscript is what I use for 1.6, Condition Zero, and Source. NextWish is good as well.

(4)For knifing I'm pretty fond of just running up to someone while they're busy shooting at someone else, or sneaking up on a sniper. Otherwise it's really just what works best for you, basically get in close, and stab away.

(5)I'm not too great at close quarters with sniper rifles, however I do like to run around trying to noscope with scouts. Someone else might be better to answer this one than me.

Hope that helps, my steam is g3edblack@yahoo.com, so if you see me on feel free to ask questions and I'll try to jump on sometime to give you some target practice

:D

Bots could help, though with their aimhack and wallhack, it will make it frustrating, especially for a newcomers. Hint: Bots are mostly blinded from smoke grenades.

http://keepitreal.nuclearfallout.net/Weapons_Guide/index.htm

Its a good guide for each weapons strengths and weakness. Though, compare to 1.6, just small differences: AUG now uses 7.62mm rounds instead of 5.56mm, makes it balanced due to the Terrorist's AK47. HE grenade is now a Frag Grenade, causing explosive damage and also partial blinding/deafing the person.

The default key to buy weapons is B key. I'm confused how anyone uses the E for buying as it is used for opening doors.

Though, its your own customization for your keys. Bindings are mostly used, however, isn't scripting illegal in most servers? It was in ToJ's CS servers, don't know now though.

15 dmg with primary, 55 dmg with secondary, I think. In some servers, knifing in the back is an instant death and its rare to get a headshot knife kill in CS: Source.

If your sniper, come with a back-up weapon, your pistol! Far range with your sniper rifle, medium to close range with your pistol.

AWP with Deagle is a perfect sniper's arsenal, not mine though, I hate AWP's!

As far as scripting being illegal, buyscripts and quickswitches are perfectly legal now, CAL will let you use them these days as far as I know. I stick to strictly buyscripts and quick switches, and cancel reload. All of the quickswitch exploits (awp quick zoom, m4/deagle) were fixed long ago. It is good to find out if the people running the server you're playing on have certain rules pertaining to scripts.

Thanks guys, for some reason I didn't think the game had npc bots. I'm very glad to know there's a way for me to practice offline. I'm wondering if the original CS has bots - I have that game too but haven't played it yet.

The last time I played CS source we were in a mode where weapons were auto-selected, and you got new ones as you scored kills. So in that game I was only switching between a single weapon and a knife.

Speaking of buying stuff - exactly how does 'money' work in these games? Can you just buy anything you want any time, or do you have to earn money to buy stuff? If so, do you earn it by scoring kills or what?

Paul

You get money with kills, round wins, and I think at a steady rate throughout a map. Each team has a certain arsenal, and a few weapons are available to each side. The kicker is the new Dynamic Weapon Pricing system, which I'm not too fond of, but oh well.

As far as bots in 1.6, you have to download them and add them manually, but Condition Zero (if you got that as well, with a pack or something) has NPC's built in.

You get money with kills, round wins, and I think at a steady rate throughout a map. Each team has a certain arsenal, and a few weapons are available to each side. The kicker is the new Dynamic Weapon Pricing system, which I'm not too fond of, but oh well.

As far as bots in 1.6, you have to download them and add them manually, but Condition Zero (if you got that as well, with a pack or something) has NPC's built in.

wow that was long explaination, all my brother said was "sit, kill, get money" when i first started lool

I'm good at adding fluff, it comes in handy for term papers :D

Hey, you must be the guy who writes the textbooks we use in library school. :p

Atown, being young your brain readily absorbs and adapts to new stuff. I on the other hand, being older as well as what the heck was I just talking about?

Paul

Yeah, dislike the Dynamic Weapon Pricing system too. Played a server that had it, over $1000 to get a Deagle, over $10,000 to get a Helmet and Body Armor. Though, that was facing hordes of zombies, not players/bots with guns.

dorkelf said:
The last time I played CS source we were in a mode where weapons were auto-selected, and you got new ones as you scored kills. So in that game I was only switching between a single weapon and a knife.

I think your talking about a CS:S Mod, GunGame. Its very popular and challenging. Start with pistols, then machine guns, then rifles till finally, only a knife. FISH clan server has them and many others.

Back