New Underwater Mob?

Josh2415

Tribe of Judah Minecraft Server Operator
Per Jeb's tweet:

I'm working on a new hostile mob. It lives under water. It's not a shark. It's going to be nasty, but currently doesn't do much.

Any guesses? I haven't headed over to Reddit to see what more researched people have said, so I'm in the dark. :D Jellyfish, Super Sea Cucumber, Octopus (reskinning ftw!), Starfish on Steroids, Stingray... so many possibilities!

I'm really excited for the new underwater content. They're adding a new block too! Unfortunately, they aren't releasing a snapshot for a few weeks. :/

I'd want a sticky block so i can make really big sliding doors. As for underwater creatures.. hmm.... "Nessy" would be neat. :D

I'd want a sticky block so i can make really big sliding doors. As for underwater creatures.. hmm.... "Nessy" would be neat. :D

Sticky block? You can do that with slime blocks now. Slime blocks will pull most blocks (not obsidian) along with it when it gets moved by a piston. So a slime block can pull more slime blocks or other pistons. I'm sure YouTube must have some pretty neat doors on it by now. :D

Pheeeew... Aaaalmost done with the new water dungeon, items and mob. Last thing to do is to make it generate in old worlds. -Jeb

/me is excited!

Pheeeew... Aaaalmost done with the new water dungeon, items and mob. Last thing to do is to make it generate in old worlds. -Jeb

Did they fix that? Does the new content generate in existing worlds when they are converted? I have a couple of old worlds from the Alpha that I haven't worked on because they don't have the newer content. I would love to be able to go back and play it with new content.

Did they fix that? Does the new content generate in existing worlds when they are converted? I have a couple of old worlds from the Alpha that I haven't worked on because they don't have the newer content. I would love to be able to go back and play it with new content.

I imagine "old worlds" still refers to Anvil-based worlds with the latest world generation method (since, what, 1.6?). Having it remember every format and every generation algorithm since alpha would be way too impractical. Formats are changing often -- if you go search the bug database, you can find a lot of people getting worlds messed up from going back to an older (even one week prior) snapshot or older server version.

Edit: For a while now, new features would show up in newly generated chunks of a world. So if you wanted new ores or animals, you had to walk to the edge of the explored map and keep going. Since he mentions it "generating in existing worlds," I wonder if it is going to be the case again or if this will somehow appear in chunks already created.

Last edited:
After some exploring, I found a spot where Guardians spawn, but there is no water temple there. There happens to be an island where I can stand on the shore and watch the Guardians shoot squids, perhaps 50 or so meters away, so maybe I can figure out some sort of farm? I'd have to build out into the water to get close enough to attack them. Has anyone tried in a single-player world yet? I did yesterday, and found out that the Guardians are tough. Melee is risky because they have Thorns when the spikes are out, plus they try to swim out of reach. Arrows only go a short distance in the water, so ranged attacks aren't very ranged.

There's a lot of ocean to explore out there... happy hunting, everyone!

After some exploring, I found a spot where Guardians spawn, but there is no water temple there. There happens to be an island where I can stand on the shore and watch the Guardians shoot squids, perhaps 50 or so meters away, so maybe I can figure out some sort of farm? I'd have to build out into the water to get close enough to attack them. Has anyone tried in a single-player world yet? I did yesterday, and found out that the Guardians are tough. Melee is risky because they have Thorns when the spikes are out, plus they try to swim out of reach. Arrows only go a short distance in the water, so ranged attacks aren't very ranged.

There's a lot of ocean to explore out there... happy hunting, everyone!

There's a new enchantment for armor that lets you move quickly underwater. Its effect does not stack however, so it's best to enchant one piece of armor, like your legs.

I was thinking of how to describe a guardian. One of my wayward trains of thought lead me to a swimming underwater mine, like an aquatic creeper. That would be cool.

Edit: I described it as a cyclopian underwater mine with a tail, and it shoots lazer beams.

Last edited:
Note: There is more than one elder guardian in each temple. Kill them all to stop getting mining fatigue. That stuff is soooo annoying.

Yay! I found a temple now! It's pretty close to an island as well, so I have a little home set up there. Prot IV armor helps a lot.
I'll have to go find those elders... I saw the top of one from the top of the monument (broke a block before the Mining Fatigue started).

I killed all the elder's in my temple, and promptly harvested all the blocks and gold. :D

Haha, so no more temple there? Those guardians will haunt you now.

I just got rid of the elders, so now I am making a glass path on the sea floor all the way to the temple. Then I will gut the inside and turn it into a tourist attraction. Man, sponges make water tunnels SOOOO much easier! :D

Haha, so no more temple there? Those guardians will haunt you now.

I just got rid of the elders, so now I am making a glass path on the sea floor all the way to the temple. Then I will gut the inside and turn it into a tourist attraction. Man, sponges make water tunnels SOOOO much easier! :D

Did your temple have a sponge room in it? I don't think mine does. :/ I only have three spongi.

Back