New Update: Introducing the...

King of the Hill mode announced, 2 new maps, and 2 converted maps.

Both Koth and snow have been done in community maps but it's nice to see Valve adding these features official. I am wondering if the grenades Valve talked about adding back into TF2 will be in this update. Having looked at the models in the SDK I think they will be a nice addition if they are going to work the way I think they will.

I'll tell you now, if they add grenades back like they were in TFC and I'll be done with TF2. I can't stand the grenade spam that is TFC and I really don't want TF2 to turn into that.

I'll tell you now, if they add grenades back like they were in TFC and I'll be done with TF2. I can't stand the grenade spam that is TFC and I really don't want TF2 to turn into that.

Yeah I heard they where terrible originally but I don't think they are going to put them back in the same way after taking them out becuase of the problems (assuming Valve has half a brain... hoping). I'm thinking if they make it so you can only carry one, class specific grenade and can only replenish it via the weapon locker then it would be a nice addition.

Last edited:
So updates today apparently and brings several surprises. I really like the FaN nerf, but I'm really unsure about the changes to the Sandman. Also as a spy I really don't like the fact that an engineer can now remove sappers from the teleporter entrance by hitting the exit. It is nice how sapping one hits both, but it will make it so much harder to kill the engy's teleporter to slow his team down.

I also love the fact that spys no longer trigger the medics +3.

I'm not sure yet on the FaN nerf, I'll have to see it in-game to be sure. The spy sapping both teleporters at once seems interesting, but if I agree of the spy can sap both in one shot the engy should be able to fix both in one shot. Personally i would have left the teleporters alone.

FAN nerf = easier Pyro job. Hardest part about killing FAN scouts is they used to be far away and take pot shots at you, wearing down your health. Sounds easier for me now. ;p

Sandman balance sounds reasonable enough. :)

"Teammates no longer block friendly radius damage. Prevents nearby teammates causing rocket/grenade jumps to fail." = woot. Hated that when playing Soldier.

Maps look cool, haven't tried them.

I want Fireman hat. >=|

Apparently there was a bunch of hidden pages in addition to the medals but I still haven't found the links on the teamfortress page. I only found them by searching the web. http://www.google.com/search?q=site:http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/&hl=en&filter=0

Also here's my opinion of the changes so far...

The Good...

The running away animations.

Improved critboosted visuals.

Teammates no longer block friendly radius damage. Prevents nearby teammates causing rocket/grenade jumps to fail. (I hope this doesn't turn out like allowing the sniper to be able to shoot thought his teammates).

Many bug fixes (always good).

New hats.

Right click to throw the ball and left to bat. My only question is why Valve did not do this at start as it is extremely obvious. Maybe they where afraid holding the ball in reserve would make it too powerful idk???

The Bad...

Source mod is now broken.

The spy gets the shaft again... with Engineers being able to repair their teleporters by hitting the other end. I mean when you sap the entrance you want to get as far away as possible before some someone comes out. Now an Engineer will be able to prolong the time it takes to kill a teleporter thus making it easier for the enemy to come out of spawn and kill you.

The scout sandman debuff change from no double jump to less hp. I mean the scout has low enough hp as it is and I kind of thought the entire point of using the sandman/fan combo was to compensate for the lack of double jump. I mean I thought they where originally created to be used together.

Hats which will apparently only be gotten by people who want to idle on servers all night. Don't get me wrong I like the addition of new hats it's just useless to me until Valve puts in a way to earn one legit because they aren't dropping for me and I play tons. When/if one does drop with my luck I'll get the one hat I don't like, the heavy's football helmet...

In addition...

Capturing the flag in a CTF game mode gives the entire capturing team 10 seconds of critboost. I guess this is to break stalemates but I am wary of how this will work.

The majority of the "update" seems to not be in new content but in gameplay, small feature additions and bug fixes. The only actually new content seems like the running away animation, one map and the hats. I had actually already played koth and Yukon before the update. The update is not bad but it doesn't seem like a full featured update.

I also kind of find it odd that Battlefield Heroes gave away medals to wear to it's beta players not two months ago and now Valve gives away medals to wear. I guess it's fair enough seeing all the things BF heroes seems to copy from TF2.

Edit: Ok I looked in the sdk and the new hat models are...

Demo = Scottish hat (its a Scottish style hat, IDK what they are called, but they are frequently worn with kilts)
Demo = Top hat (seems like it should be for the spy not the demo IMO)
Enigineer = Cowboy hat
Engineer = Train hat (like the ones engineers in trains wear)
Heavy = Stocking cap (its a winter style stocking cap)
Heavy = Ushanka (the Russian military hat as seen on Teamfortress.com)
Medic = Mirror (YES the doctor headpiece I said they should add!)
Medic = Tyrolean (Bavarian hat I've seen worn with those green overall shorts they wear)
Pyro = Fireman Helmet
Pyro = Chicken (it's really a glove on his head, epic :D)
Scout = Bonk Hat (Beer hat with bonk in it. YES another hat I suggested! :) )
Scout = Newsboy cap (paper gov'ner?)
Sniper = Jarate Headband (it's a yellow headband)
Sniper = straw hat (its a white looking hat)
Soldier = a pot (yes it's a cooking pot :p )
Soldier = Viking helmet
Spy = Derby hat
Spy = Camera beard (From the fake spy update items, made real. I kid not :p It doesn't look like the spy beard adheres to his face as much as hangs around it)

Other than the Demo's top hat they all seem appropriate. Guess I'll have to wait for my Heavy Zangief beard and mowhawk some more...

Last edited:
IMO once again the Pyro gets the best hat (the chicken one). The Soldier's cooking pot comes in a close second for me though.

I personally don't like the FaN nerf. I finally got a weapon that I was being really effective as a scout and now I have to completely re-learn how to work the knockback... they could have at least boosted the damage taken if they took away the effective range of knockback.

Overtime....
Overtime...
Overtime..
OVERTIME...
OVERtime...
overTIME...

/sigh

Carrying the sandman is basically like a dead sentence. For the most part you are almost dead if you get hit by any class and carrying around a ball that rarely actually hits isn't worth the health penalty. Now if they gave the scout a flame proof suit on the other hand... :p

The FAN's damage is pretty much on par. Especially considering a good salvo is enough to kill most classes. If anything valve screwed up by giving a lot of classes shotguns, as it makes closing in a suicidal move and nullifies melee potential when 80% of your targets can kill you with 2-3 shots or worst. If anything they need to lower damage across the board a tad, which will allow for things like status effects (krits/mini crits/fire) to play a larger roll, reduce "What the?" kills and spawn camping.

Last edited by a moderator:
So any idea on how we get these great hats?

Many people are using something that allows you to idle without needing TF2 running and you can get items from that. IDK what the program is but I am sure one of the other Toj can point you towards it if you want it (I've seen Rev Rog) using it. For my part it's just not my style to use such a thing but then I haven't gotten a single hat and I play more than most Toj... or sane individuals :( .

Many people are using something that allows you to idle without needing TF2 running and you can get items from that. IDK what the program is but I am sure one of the other Toj can point you towards it if you want it (I've seen Rev Rog) using it. For my part it's just not my style to use such a thing but then I haven't gotten a single hat and I play more than most Toj... or sane individuals :( .

Sounds like a scam if anything. Enter your password and they will be off selling your account in a heartbeat.

Sounds like a scam if anything. Enter your password and they will be off selling your account in a heartbeat.

More that likely there is someone who will create a program that will do that but there is a huge amount of people using one. If you look at your friends list you can tell by right clicking on a persons name and then server info if they are using an idle program. According to it (if it is telling the truth) 8733 people are currently idling. (googling) I think this is the source (off site warning)http://www.sourceop.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1611. Regardless the chance of viruses, Valve reprisals and mainly because it's just not my style will keep me from using it.

Last edited:
Back