New website: Do we or dont we ...

Allanon

Well, I think I am pretty much rested up from my 5 years of running solo the TRiB website and stuff and I am slightly interested in developing a new site for our guild. What I am most interested in hearing from our guild mates though is if they think its worth it and if they are willing to contribute in time to being part of maintaining the site. I am considering a standard x-nuke (post, php, whatever other flavours out there) as I like the standard templates out there and there are some great WoW themes available. Basically I would provide our rank Veterans and up access to posting news (posting news is key to "maintaining" an active site). So let me know what ya'all think. (ya'all is just for you Tinie and all our southerners)

I think it would be a great idea! I have some experience doing website stuff so I would be willing to help out on that.

Thanks Alan but I checked them out before. Not really interested in that approach but thanks for the tip. I would prefer something stand alone, leveraging people then money unless someone is donating some :)

I think, given the size and continued growth of the guild, a guild website is almost a must. Once thing to consider though: Think of how many people the forum has drawn in. Imagine how many a website would. I hope you all are better at remembering names than I am!

I'd be glad to help with the site. If we need hosting space, I can provide that. A standard PHP Nuke site sounds good. Should allow for very democratic content control and still infinite tweakability on the back end. And of course, good community support.

So what will the purpose of the site be? I see two uses: A recruiting tool / face to the world. And a way to better coordinate within the guild (Roster, Events, etc)

Do we want to start discussing content? I guess I will start:

Guild Roster / Member Bios
Forum (Keep using CGA I assume?)
About The Forgiven
Links

News Topics
----------------
Guild News (Joining SGA, Policy changes, etc)
Events (Runs, Parties in IF, Meetings, etc)
New lvl 60
Promotions
Blizzard News (Patchs, Rumors, etc)
Funny Stuff

blogs? lol

I think each member should get in their 'bio' page the ability to throw whatever they want in there... You know, a link to their blogs, maybe some favorite pages, maybe a blog on the site, SlavidZee's cartoons, some pics, etc.

I think group bios are a must :)

Also adding to the news list: Major SGA news

If we had a dedicated forum to post item needs/ grouping needs/ raiding schedules that would be good. I know a lot of players are using the guildadds mod right now, but I think it could be a good thing for people who check the page regularly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of my comic, the next one isn't going to surface till next week, but there's a preview up, as well as the first strip at http://slavidzee.deviantart.com. One of the protagonists WILL be playing WoW in the upcoming strip :-D.

Sounds great to me:)...several good guild sites out there for examples to help decide what we want in ours:)
Thanks for adding the y'all to your post Adam...it made it much easier for me to understand:)
Tinie/Angie

I love the website of my old guild - there was a place where raids were posted, help needed, general guild talking, crafting needs, and potential members and then a general forum where anyone could post and ask questions abotu the guild etc.

I do miss that about my old guild since here it seems pretty much a 'hi how are you place' to post but no where to find out what is going on etc.

Yeah, most of the interaction we have is on teamspeak itself but it doesn't lend itself to static or informative postings :) My goal would be to have a site that all of us will have a part in. A site that has dated content is a waste of all our time. I am committed to this if the guild is as a whole. I will attempt to solicit more guildies in-game.

Ok, the basics are up and running. You can see the style/layout we have to work with @ 65.255.231.189. I will be adding a wow theme shortly and registering a domain name in the coming days. Please get on and register an account. Once you are registered, I'll add you to admin so you too can play around and see the various options available. I am requesting we use our primary WoW account character name for the username as it will be easier to associate the two together as people find us from our site and look us up on Terenas.

Hehe, messed around with an option I didn't want enabled. Expect a few of these "problems" to come up as we are playing and determining the site layout and style.

Ok, the new WoW theme has been applied. Comments? I am changing the center graphic to show our guild name, just waiting for photoshop demo to finish downloading, I got 30 days ;)

** EDITED ** Thanks to [7F]Steel's generosity, we have a great WoW theme that is not spread all over the planet. Thanks many times over Steel, you da man!

Last edited:
Back