Nintendo Chapter Ideas Thread

Kendrik

Staff member
*crickets*

Not a lot going on around here, eh?

I've been trying to come up with ways to help breathe some life into the Nintendo Chapter, but I'm still new at this, and ideas can be slow going.

So I's like... "wait... why not ask the members what they want since, y'know, it's their chapter."

So... got any ideas on how to improve our chapter? What would you like to see happen around here?

start with Pokemon (lols here) and then branch to other games, like mutilplayer games. or do a weekly rotation of a genre.
find out what people play/have and do something with that.

Mario Kart Wii game night?

The old "who has what game?" threads are likely outdated by now, so you might try starting new ones to try to find out who has what now. Gamers are far more likely to trade in console or handheld games; PC gamers are pretty much stuck with their purchases once they're made (though they may not have them currently installed).

I won't turn this thread into a "The differences between PC and console/handheld gaming" essay, but the point remains that our old games list threads may be obsolete by now.

Without an "always connected" messaging system (like PSN for the PS3 and Xbox Live for the 360), we may want to adopt a secondary communication system. Whether it's AIM, Yahoo, Facebook Chat (which users can connect to using any chat client able to connect to Jabber networks), Xfire, or something else entirely, it will help to have a quick and easy way to invite others to join a game at any given time.

Recruiting might also be necessary to bolster the Nintendo Chapter numbers. We may have several Wii and DS owners already active in Tribe of Judah, but not all of those members will own the same games. Of those members with the same games, some may not be able to play at a set time.

There are some fantastic Wii and DS games with online play, but their value is lost amidst the static of the larger "core" gaming community. If you try your hand at recruiting, I recommend Christian forums that don't specialize in gaming. ChristianForums.com comes to mind.

Just some ideas. :D

Building activity in our console chapters is more difficult than in our PC game chapters for a number of reasons, but there's also tremendous potential in our Nintendo, Xbox Live, and Playstation 3 chapters. It will take patience to see that potential realized.

start with Pokemon (lols here) and then branch to other games, like mutilplayer games. or do a weekly rotation of a genre.
find out what people play/have and do something with that.
Started a Pokemon thread just recently. No responses yet, though. Sadness. I heart Pokemon.

Mario Kart Wii game night?
I couldn't participate, but if there's interest, I would help facilitate it.

The old "who has what game?" threads are likely outdated by now, so you might try starting new ones to try to find out who has what now. Gamers are far more likely to trade in console or handheld games; PC gamers are pretty much stuck with their purchases once they're made (though they may not have them currently installed).

I won't turn this thread into a "The differences between PC and console/handheld gaming" essay, but the point remains that our old games list threads may be obsolete by now.
That was sorta my thinking in consolidating the old threads. Just haven't had bites on the new ones yet.

Without an "always connected" messaging system (like PSN for the PS3 and Xbox Live for the 360), we may want to adopt a secondary communication system. Whether it's AIM, Yahoo, Facebook Chat (which users can connect to using any chat client able to connect to Jabber networks), Xfire, or something else entirely, it will help to have a quick and easy way to invite others to join a game at any given time.
Mebbe I'll set up an IRC channel and have an easy to use, web-based client ready to go. Good call on this.

Recruiting might also be necessary to bolster the Nintendo Chapter numbers. We may have several Wii and DS owners already active in Tribe of Judah, but not all of those members will own the same games. Of those members with the same games, some may not be able to play at a set time.
Probably true. Recruiting's never been my strong suit unless I'm reppin' something among people I already know.

There are some fantastic Wii and DS games with online play, but their value is lost amidst the static of the larger "core" gaming community. If you try your hand at recruiting, I recommend Christian forums that don't specialize in gaming. ChristianForums.com comes to mind.
Hmm. I'm not involved in that forum, or many other forums for that matter, but I see your point in recruiting beyond Christian gamer forums. I'll keep it in mind.

Just some ideas. :D
Appreciate 'em all.

Building activity in our console chapters is more difficult than in our PC game chapters for a number of reasons, but there's also tremendous potential in our Nintendo, Xbox Live, and Playstation 3 chapters. It will take patience to see that potential realized.
And I'd definitely like to see growth in all of these chapters.

Mebbe I'll set up an IRC channel and have an easy to use, web-based client ready to go. Good call on this.
I don't know if IRC is the best choice. Both the CGA and ToJ have IRC channels and, after several attempts to draw in new members, the channels remain ghost towns. :(

I don't know if IRC is the best choice. Both the CGA and ToJ have IRC channels and, after several attempts to draw in new members, the channels remain ghost towns. :(
This makes me sad. I was thinking that it'd be the easiest way to get people connected (especially since Mibbit, an AJAX-based web-client for IRC, is really good and easy to set up for something like this). If IRC around here unsuccessful, well... that's unfortunate.

Gonna have to go back to the drawing board.

As long as I don't start thinking too big... well... mebbe we'll see what I can come up with. :p

This makes me sad. I was thinking that it'd be the easiest way to get people connected (especially since Mibbit, an AJAX-based web-client for IRC, is really good and easy to set up for something like this). If IRC around here unsuccessful, well... that's unfortunate.
Most unfortunate.

You can try to convince people to use the IRC channel, but we tend to have rushes of activity (usually 2-3 days following a post promoting the IRC channel on the CGA General Discussion Forum) then tumbleweeds the next week.

I wonder if using the Tribe of Judah Facebook page in conjunction with Facebook Chat (I connect using the Jabber functionality in Trillian) would be more helpful?

I wonder if using the Tribe of Judah Facebook page in conjunction with Facebook Chat (I connect using the Jabber functionality in Trillian) would be more helpful?
Perhaps. I know that Facebook is more or less my primary communication tool online. Biggest concern is that not everyone wants to connect their outside lives with their gaming/internet lives, and that could prove a hindrance.

Perhaps. I know that Facebook is more or less my primary communication tool online. Biggest concern is that not everyone wants to connect their outside lives with their gaming/internet lives, and that could prove a hindrance.
That's why people who like to maintain their privacy create two separate accounts: One for personal use one for gaming!

...Other people do that, right? Right?

I'd be game for some Mario Kart Wii!
Awesome! Be sure to post your Friend code in this thread so I and other ToJ members can add you.

Would using the TS3 server work for wii gaming at all? I have a laptop with it on it and that could work pretty well...
Sounds great to me! I might have to toy around with the voice activated transmit settings (I use push-to-talk now), but that sounds like a good idea.

Ever think you've responded to a forum post only to realize quite some time later that you didn't? Yeah. That happened here. Oops. >.>

I'd be game for some Mario Kart Wii!
Sweet. I see Tek would be, too. I'm currently without Mario Kart, but I'll try to rectify that in the not too distant future (ie, sometime after I get some cash).

Would using the TS3 server work for wii gaming at all? I have a laptop with it on it and that could work pretty well...
I like the idea of using a TS3 channel. Would need to have active members to make it worthwhile, but simulated in-game voice communication would be nice.

What would it take to get a Nintendo channel, Tek?

I like the idea of using a TS3 channel. Would need to have active members to make it worthwhile, but simulated in-game voice communication would be nice.

What would it take to get a Nintendo channel, Tek?
Done.

Named the channel "Nintendo (DS & Wii)."

Back