Official release date

Exo-Slayer

Blizzard is pleased to announce that in fewer than three weeks, World of Warcraft will begin hitting store shelves throughout North America. Starting on November 23, players will be able to pick up a boxed copy of the game, or the collector's edition, and finally begin playing! See the Press Release for further details.

Edit: They have announced the pricing as well.
After the initial free one-month subscription ends, players of World of Warcraft will be able to continue playing under one of three different subscription plans. The month-to-month subscription plan costs $14.99 per month, the three-month plan costs $13.99 per month, and the six-month plan costs $12.99 per month. World of Warcraft subscription fees can be paid by major credit card, PayPal, and pre-paid game cards, which will be available in stores where World of Warcraft is sold. World of Warcraft has received a Teen rating from the ESRB.

Question to beta testers:

The game price is $50USD = $70 Canadian
The monthly subscription is, at best, $13.00USD which is $18 Canadian
This will make the cost to me for 7 months (1 month free + 6 month subscription) $178.00.

Is it worth it?  Honestly...leave your feelings about how great the game is.  Would you be willing to drop just under $200 to play a game for 7 months?

In the end, it will just be me playing the game. My wife just is not interested in it, and given the online gaming on BNet is not moderated, I wouldn't let my son touch it with a ten thousand foot pole. And if I did, we would have to play together, which means, hello, another $178 outlay.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The game price is $50USD = $70 Canadian
The monthly subscription is, at best, $13.00USD which is $18 Canadian
This will make the cost to me for 7 months (1 month free + 6 month subscription) $178.00.

Is it worth it?  Honestly...leave your feelings about how great the game is.  Would you be willing to drop just under $200 to play a game for 7 months?

Peon,  I don't even plan to play for that many months straight; because I'm afraid I just won't have that much money to invest, nor do I want to invest that much in a single game.  Consider playing for two or so months straight, and then having a down time where you don't play for a little bit; this is what I'm thinking about doing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In the end, it will just be me playing the game.  My wife just is not interested in it, and given the online gaming on BNet is not moderated, I wouldn't let my son touch it with a ten thousand foot pole.  And if I did, we would have to play together, which means, hello, another $178 outlay.

The servers that WoW runs on are not at all related to b.net.  In fact, they're completely new servers built from scratch specifically for this MMORPG.  And, part of the monthly subscription goes toward a full Game Master staff.  This staff will be available 24 hours a day, and will help moderate the chat channels from offensive or generally rude behavior.

Um, I've posted my concerns about family accounts on the WoW forums before...I'm interested in my mom and dad playing with me from time to time.  Also, family accounts could help benefit brothers and sisters, and also roommates who are in college.  So instead of paying for two full accounts, they could somehow get a little bit of a discount.
Anyway, I'm looking into this, and I'll definately contact Blizzard about it.  To me it sounds like a good idea.

well worth it, though i would say play for the free month then choose whether or not you want to drop the money for the additional six months.

Even better, you can use the free 10-day tryout that comes with a Collector's Edition. I plan to buy the Collector's Edition, so you can always use that if you wanted to.

Have they annouced if Open beta characters are carried over? If so, I'd have to reserve some character names ASAP.

okay, I am confused.

The collectors edition comes with a 10 day tryout
The regular editions comes with a free month?

---

The reason why I have never done MMORPGs is the cost factor. It seems you are overly penalized for enjoying the game. Maybe if they billed you usage at the end of the month. I could see myself playing for about 10 hours a months, a couple hours a week. A rate of $0.75/hour would be reasonable for me ($7.5/month).
---

Another question, if you play for a month and then take two months off because, well, groceries for the family is more imporatant at that time, then when you get back on, what happens to your character(s)?

With the collectors edition, you get both.

If you stop playing and come back later, your characters are still there. I have yet to play a MMORPG that deletes your characters after a period of time (although they usually reserve that right for those who don't play for a year) after UO. While your method would be reasonable, I'm not sure why they don't do it like that. The added pay is to maintain the servers and the staff that works on them, and in some games to pay for a GM staff for in game needs, and in some instances in game activities. Hope this helps.

Cory

I have no problem what so ever with the pay to play concept. And there is "no perfect" solution. I did the price survey that blizzard put out about a year ago and let them know my idea's then.

When it comes to price, it is all relative. If you aren't going to play that often, then a pay per play idea is great, but if play a lot, you get burned. A flat fee is great for those who play a lot, but those who don't, get burned.

A good compromise: Offer both. And if you find that you are paying more on a pay per play based structure then a flat fee, then switch to the flat fee. This ensures people who play a lot don't pay large sums of money and those only play a few hours a month pay a smaller, more reasonable fee.

They could even do a pre-paid idea, like the cell companies do. Pay $10 and get 15 anytime hours
smile.gif
That has my attention all of a sudden
smile.gif

===

And family accounts...As far as I am concerned, this may well be the one game I ever come across that I would be an advocate of being allowed to have multiple installations so that more people can play together. Limiting it to 3 or 4. I have alot of software that links hardware id's to cd keys for activiation purposes. This would be one of few instances in Gaming that I would actually advocate this.

Cory,

I emailed Blizzard about the family accounts I was talking to you about earlier.  I'll let you (all) know when I get a response.

Bow's got all the connections
smile.gif

I will also delay my purchase most likely because of exams and stuff...lol don't wont addiction during crunch time.

I'm wondering, say if I go on pay as you go does my account expire after that or do I have a chance to use it in the future?

I'm sure you can use it in the future. If not, then I'd be plenty upset at Blizzard for deleting an account that you paid for.

Back