One More for Demon's Souls

Kendrik

Staff member
Had some Amazon credit finally show up in my account, so I finally ordered Demon's Souls (new with OST for $19.32... it's in the CGAstore *hint*).

Pretty hyped. Looking forward to playing what I'm told is the most brutally hard (but still well designed) game in quite some time.

And I like beating down big beasties.

Dude, Demons Souls is so hard it made my PS3 get the red blinky light. Will extract my vengeance as soon as I get a fix.

"Do you think I'm too hard?"
-Tequila, Hard Boiled

Game is out for delivery according to tracking.

/clinch fist

Bring it on.

/arrogant smirk

Okay, so, the game is definitely hard. Very hard, even. It's so, so engaging, though. I can't believe I put this game off for so long.

I'm dying constantly in trying to move forward, it seems. Having taken so much damage, I'm now having to go back to easier areas to collect some souls (currency) in order to repair my armor in order to survive a little longer in the more difficult sections.

Big bosses are awesome. There's just something satisfying about bringing down something ten times taller than you.

This is absolutely an RPG with its exploration, stat building, and collection elements... yet it feels like (an awesome) beat-'em-up at the moment in combat. Fatigue makes mashing a bad idea, but spatial awareness and twitch reflexes are definitely present.

It's pretty much a gaming dream for me. Hyyyyype.

At this point, I think I'll wait for the Demon's Souls sequel, Dark Souls. I've read about Atlus extending the life of Demon's Souls' servers and that leads me to believe they'll go dark eventually. With my backlog having grown as long and epic as it has, I wouldn't want to purchase Demon's Souls, get distracted by another fantastic game I still have yet to start (like, say, Uncharted 1 or Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction), and miss playing Demon's Souls as it was meant to be played--in a "live" world.

But reading positive reviews of Demon's Souls encourages me to keep a close eye on Dark Souls and even add it to my Amazon Wish List to track the price and watch for the inevitable price drop. (StarCraft II will likely be the first and last game I pay $60 for.)

Waiting sucks. :p

If not for having Amazon trade-in credit, I wouldn't have gotten the game, either. Buuuut... with credit... I couldn't pass it up. 'specially when I got the OST with it. :D

I decided to try a lighter character (rather than my not-quite-tank Wanderer). Went with Royalty... and Royalty is easy mode for the first stage (only died once, and that was due to a stupid move on my part). Starting with a powerful ranged spell, and a ring that slowly regenerates MP, makes a huge difference.

Also, it took me until five minutes ago to realize that two hands means I can run two weapons at once. Not sure that there's much merit to that (though perhaps wand+sword can be useful), but it's cool.

GogoHildefromSCIV. >.>

Also, going into Soul form has its downfalls. Chief among them: beating a demon only to realize that I have to beat it again while not aiding some online person (either by myself in Soul form or with others while I'm the one still in the flesh). D'oh!

Tower Knight comes down easy with ranged attacks and a second player.

Now to figure out which stats to buff on my new character. >.>

Honestly, Tek, I haven't even played online with it at all and it's tremendously fun single player. You only get co-op if you go out of your way to do so, but even then it wouldn't add that much for me.

What I felt was the best part of a live world is watching other people get owned, turned into blood stains, etc, hehehehe.

Tower Knight comes down easy with ranged attacks and a second player.

Now to figure out which stats to buff on my new character. >.>

Yeah, tried that the second time through with my royal.I've tried a lot of toons and I think that is my favorite. Had no idea what to do because I've been playing the game completely guide-free lol. My first time through I just rolled through his legs a lot and batted at his feet.

Have to say I've been pretty surprised many-a-time. Would highly recommend going completely sans guide, this game deserves it.

Only guide I've used so far is for mechanics (and figuring out what I'm supposed to do with the actual demon's souls; imagine my unhappiness when I found out they're unique items /smh). Playing guideless works for me.

Also, I enjoy the co-op. I agree, by the way; the way that the internet is used to bring your single-player experience to life is pretty cool.

I also like how Tek's strategy on a game that will possibly have servers go black one day, one that he prefers to have co-op, and one that really won't be any cheaper is to...

skip this brilliant game entirely rather than get it now now now

Master tactician there, Tek!

I also like how Tek's strategy on a game that will possibly have servers go black one day, one that he prefers to have co-op, and one that really won't be any cheaper is to...

skip this brilliant game entirely rather than get it now now now

Master tactician there, Tek!
Pretty easy decision, considering:
  1. I'm unemployed.
  2. My backlog is a mile long.
  3. Since my gaming time has been greatly reduced, I don't want to spend the bulk of it (or any of it, really) backtracking, repeating tasks, grinding levels, or trying to figure out how to play a game.
  4. I didn't get the game when it was $14.99 during the holiday season and it hasn't dropped to 15 bucks since.
  5. Dark Souls will likely include the same main features as Demon's Souls as well as improvements or fixes.
  6. Demon's Souls' servers will indeed one day go offline.
In another season of life, Demon's Souls would have been an obvious pick for me. These days? Not so much.

Again, I'm sure it's great. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be keeping an eye on Dark Souls.

EDIT: In other news, I finally bought Castle Crashers three weeks ago and STILL have not played it online with any ToJ members. Understandably, I'm not exactly in a hurry to buy new console games...

Last edited:
EDIT: In other news, I finally bought Castle Crashers three weeks ago and STILL have not played it online with any ToJ members. Understandably, I'm not exactly in a hurry to buy new console games...
Yeaaaaah. I wish there were an easy way to not appear online while using Netflix. If not that, then a way to turn off notifications only while on Netflix. Missed your message whilst battling demons since dem notifications were off.

But now. Nap time.

You can set your status to offline. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it hides you. We could test. At least now that there is an app it shows "netflix" in the friends list, whereas it used to just say nothing.

Up for castle crashers pretty much anytime so just let me know. Don't think I'll be getting my save file till my A01 console comes back from repair, so hope you don't mind a level 1 tagging along.

You can set your status to offline. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it hides you. We could test. At least now that there is an app it shows "netflix" in the friends list, whereas it used to just say nothing.
I know there's a "not available," but it still shows up online. Oh well. /shrug

Up for castle crashers pretty much anytime so just let me know. Don't think I'll be getting my save file till my A01 console comes back from repair, so hope you don't mind a level 1 tagging along.
Bring your own spray can if you plan on tagging. :p

Might be more fun that way, considering I'm only level 4 or 5.

And any time you see me on PSN, chances are very good that I'm willing to play Castle Crashers. If I see Kendrik on and he's not running Netflix, I'll send him a message. I'll do the same for you, Ryan.

I'll try to get on this evening, we'll see how that goes.
Sorry I didn't make it on last night. Just now saw this thread. Baby schedules are unpredictable.

Ember has the TV right now for some stupid Fox reality show. No, not American Idol. Another stupid Fox reality show. This, from the network that managed to get Futurama canceled. Idiots. -_-

Sorry I didn't make it on last night. Just now saw this thread. Baby schedules are unpredictable.

Ember has the TV right now for some stupid Fox reality show. No, not American Idol. Another stupid Fox reality show. This, from the network that managed to get Futurama canceled. Idiots. -_-

When I'm looking for a new show to watch on Netflix, I typically look to see which shows have been cancelled early by a major network to find the best ones.

When I'm looking for a new show to watch on Netflix, I typically look to see which shows have been cancelled early by a major network to find the best ones.
Or at least which shows have been canceled by Fox.

...Then again, they've also canceled some really, really horrible shows.

So it turns out that Demon's Souls has a locked save file according to this list.

If Dark Souls has the same inane copy protection on save files, I won't be buying that, either. It baffles me why modern developers even consider using copy protection on save files where players expect to pour many hours into game progress, especially when the game is largely defined by its punishing difficulty level.

Back