One Year Bible Study

Melinarlia

It's January 1, 2007 and you guys know what that means. It's time to start that One Year Bible Study. I will be posting in this thread at least once a day with what the day's readings are. For those who don't have a Bible (I left mine in my dorm room >.<), the readings are available online. Click on the link below and choose the month. Then from the drop down menu up top, click the version you want and then click the day.

http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/january.asp?version=51

I also wanted to encourage people to write what they think of the readings in this thread. If you have questions or if you came to a realization about the readings or if you just want to comment on what you think God is telling you through the readings, feel free to post them here. =)

Happy New Year and let's keep each other accountable! =D

Other links:
One Year Bible Blog - Always has the readings link at the top and has commentaries on each day's reading
One Year Bible on Radio - Audio version of the readings. WMA and MP3 formats available
Daily Audio Bible - Another audio version, this one with nature sounds, background music and dramatic reading style
English Standard Version - This is an RSS feed link that also has audio availibility

Last edited by a moderator:
January 1st Readings:

Genesis 1:1 - 2:25
Matthew 1:1 - 2:12
Psalm 1:1-6
Proverbs 1:1-6

Click Here to open all 4 passages at once at Bible Gateway

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in! Thanks for reminding me, I might have forgotten!! Heading off-line to read this very moment.

Last edited:
we can sticky it but since there will be an entry in it every day, I doubt it will ever leave the first page. hehe

So in todays reading I thought it was humorous that God invented sprinklers.
When the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, neither wild plants nor grains were growing on the earth. For the Lord God had not yet sent rain to water the earth, and there were no people to cultivate the soil. 6 Instead, springs came up from the ground and watered all the land.

I also really like that one of the purposes of the proverbs is to
teach people to live disciplined and successful lives,
to help them do what is right, just, and fair.
Man I need help with discipline in my life, I'm excited that reading proverbs each day will help me in that area.

So I found my journal that I was using last year when I started this plan and it only has entries through the 5th of January! I made it 5 days, how pathetic is that? lol.. So I need you guys to keep me accountable on this. If you see me playing you have the right to ask me if I have done my reading.

Site is down! haha thats a good thing i guess, means lots of ppl are hitting it.

Click here todays readings all in one

I took the liberty of adding new links to Meli's first post. Check the top of this thread for all the goodies.

Last edited:
I love how honest David is with God in Psalms; he's one of my favorite "Bible people."

I like the opening of the Proverbs passage. It goes very well with the end of the Matthew passage, the Temptation of Jesus. I think it's a great reminder that we do have the power to reject Satan and any kind of temptation that he will throw at us...and he will throw them at us.

It is great to read across the spectrum of scripture all in one sitting.

Older Testament, Psalms, Proverbs and New Testament

Agreed, Icthus.

The whole 'sons of God' thing in Genesis 6 always kinda weirds me out. I've heard some strange interpretations of the term used in that context, but don't necessarily know what to make if it. The contrast between 'sons of God' and 'daughters of men' seems to imply a fundamental difference between them. Their offspring seem to be the Nephilim, heroes of renown. The Isrealite spies reference the Nephilim in Numbers when they report that the inhabitants of Canaan are giants. Obviously not the same Nephilim, as these appear before the flood, so are obviously wiped out, but the statement in Gen 6:4 that the Nephilim "were on the earth in those days, and also afterwards" makes me wonder. Afterwards how? Were these the same Nephilim, implying that 'sons of God' existed after the flood as well? Could this simply be a term identifying a type of man? Does it refer to some type of spiritual being, as some interpreters have suggested (but I, personally, doubt)? It also leads to questions about whether Nephilim is a generic term of some sort or if it is identifying a specific race. We know Goliath was from the Anakim people and decended from the Nephilim. What does it all mean?

All these questions from 3 simple words used twice in a fairly obscure passage. It's certainly not going to be the crux of my theology, but it's obviously in there for a reason...

It would sure be easier if I could read Hebrew, and didn't have to wonder about translation and interpretation issues.

I really like Genesis 9:12-17. Now everytime I see a rainbow I'll think of those verses and the covenant that God had made that he would never again wipe out the Earth. One day at school, there was a double rainbow in the sky. I think I have pictures of it somewhere but I don't know if I caught the second one. It was faint.

There was a rainbow at work yesterday, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Back