OVERWHELMED with news

XionTawa

Okay, I am going to try to keep this short, because I need to be in bed.

I follow a lot of news. I follow individual games, gaming sites, tech sites, bands, and a few other odds and ends. At first, this was easy, everyone had blogs, so I just threw them in Google Reader, and got to them when I had time. But this not longer works at all.

Now, some still have blogs and newsletters, but MOST (referring mostly to many games and bands) have abandoned blogs for just twitter, or just FB, or just something else. I have a lot of free time, and even in it I do not have the time to run through every update on FB and twitter. So, what was my response? Just use Twitter RSS and FB RSS. Well as of 'as soon as a page updates to Timeline' they lose their RSS feed from FB. And Twitter has dropped support for RSS, so while it works, it doesn't work well or all the time.

Trying to check twitter and facebook and email and RSS reader every day for news is becoming VERY overwhelming.

So, is anyone else having this issue? Has anyone found a solution to this issue? If so, please share, because this is causing me a LOT of un-needed stress.

Please help...

I know exactly what you are talking about and I agree with Lloren, you need to get down to the bear essentials. I have narrowed my gaming down to PC, so I only have to worry about one platform. I found that RockPaperShotgun.com covers all of the news worth knowing about the PC, so it is the only site I check and I check it once a day at most.

I have other hobbies (such as programming), but I take a "just in time" learning approach. I learning things when I need to know them.

Keep in mind that knowing about something the day it happens or a week later often makes no difference. Try cutting down on the number of information sources, and only check them once a week instead of several times a day.

UPDATE:

So, I was thinking, maybe someone takes the time to put together daily podcasts/videos of the breaking/big news of the day. So after some reseacrch I discovered IGN's Daily Fix, and CNet's Loaded.

These 2 are really good, but seems to be just a tad short IMO. While I don't actually want replacements of these, what I really want to know is, does anyone else know of other "shows"/blogs like these. I still want to know the biggest news, but both of these seem to only hit 2-3 stories a day.

So, I don't know, maybe I am asking for too much, I just don't want to miss out on the big stories, but at the same time, don't want to waste my time with it either, lol.

Any thoughts on this?

Back