Paper I wrote on Christian WoW guilds (cough, this one) last semester.

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
Hey, I wrote this paper in a "Religion and Popular Culture" course. It features interviews with some people we know very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice paper, but I've moderated off the attachment for now. Neirai, check the officer's forum for details. When the changes are complete, I'll approve the attachment

Great John, I told you that in game.... Randy probably wants your pulling personal info off but it's still good. let me know when it's up again, I might want to reread and ask you some stuff. but great job!

yep, that's exactly why I pulled it. I don't know about the other two, but I don't typically broadcast my info into open networks/forums/etc.

Did some minor re-working and posted. I may have caused some formatting errors, improper punctuation, etc... so don't give Neirai any grief about that stuff. :)

Very interesting insight, hadn't considered the "buffer zone" effect on our interactions. It is an intriguing concept; I guess there is a difference between the two interactions face to face vs. interacting with an online avatar which makes it easier to do things, both "good" and "bad". People will say or yell things all the time via their avatar in WoW to complete strangers that is crude, vulgar and insulting that one would hope they would not do in a face to face encounter. Yet they feel "empowered" to behave so crudely because of the anonymity of the environment. I had not considered the "flip-side" we are able to act with more Christian Charity, Kindness, Compassion, etc. because our virtual selves allow us anonymity. Some of our human frailties can be left behind. Our very fitting in is on the basis of our Christianity which is something often suppressed in today’s society writ large.

I need to think on this some more. The question, “Which Christian face is the best representation of the Christian I am, and that I want to be?”

i think thats a great question MIke, almost one that could be a guild message to let us think about how we play with others.

Wow! Nice paper! If I am not mistaken, this is a sophomore level course. I googled Taylor and found out it is a Christian school and their web site was very impressive. I trust this paper was an assignment based on interviews. You should have done quite well on the grade.

Your paper makes me think a little (Smoke! I smell smoke!) and reminds me of our Christian responsibility to carry the light of Christ where ever we go. Christianity is not like a jacket you put on when you enter a salvation relationship with the Lord; it is Christ living through us as we allow him. We are truely reborn!

Thanks, TF, for the opportunity of Christian fellowship! Another big plus is not having to worry about leaving my TeamSpeak on the speakers when my family is around. Ya'll are truely family friendly. Let us continue sharing the love of Christ throughgout our virtual experiance and not forget that we are always observed - both in game and out of game.

Yeah, it was a 300 level (roughly third year) course. I was supposed to do journal research (peer reviewed et al) except that there... wasn't any.

So I went to some "experts" "in the field" which is what we are.

don't have word installed on this machine yet, but you go to taylor?! cool! several people in my graduating class went there...and for one, his siblings too!

Nice job! Your paper actually reminded me I should probably start cracking down on my own paper I have to write that's similar to this one. ;) It's a paper on Religion and Mass Media in today's society and the impact of it on popular culture. (For my Sociology of Media Seminar) Should be interesting.

I hope you got a good grade on your paper. :)

A wonderful paper, John. I am very impressed; very few could be as thorough and clear in expressing the medium ramifications of WoW in our lives as it impacts our testimony and our interactions with others. We as Christians are to others as we manifest ourselves to be, and this game is not merely an "escape," but a recreational conduit which carries us to an entirely new and open scope of potential witnessing opportunities. All praise and glory be to God who blesses us so.

Back