Pat Robertson strikes again

I appreciated the following commentary on Pat Robertson's remarks.

the following was taken from

http://www.davidrstokes.com/

(BELTWAY BLOG - air date, January 9, 2006)

There he goes again. Pat Robertson has weighed in on another international matter �" and, in doing so, has left many of us asking: Should he start breaking the pills in half before he takes them?

The latest pronouncement from his prophetic mountain in Virginia Beach is that God smote Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, with the stroke that has left him fighting for his life. This “divine retribution” according to Robertson is because of Sharon’s policies �" particularly his withdrawal of Israeli settlers and troops from Gaza and parts of the West Bank last year.

The problem I have with preachers waxing prophetic to speak with dogmatic authority as to why God has done, or allowed, this or that �" is that there is really no way verify it. God’s thoughts aren’t ours �" Our thoughts aren’t His.

Now, I am someone who, in fact, believes that Sharon’s policies have been wrong. I DO see tremendous significance in things relating to the “promised land” �" and I believe that many Biblical prophecies about Israel and Jerusalem are yet to be fulfilled. And, this belief often leads to curiosity when some major event happens in the Middle East. I find myself wondering where it all fits.

But, that’s where it stops. I can’t imagine standing in my pulpit and telling our congregation that I have “insider information” about WHY God is doing such and such.

Classic Dispensational thought �" the kind that sees a coming literal fulfillment of certain scriptural passages �" also sees our current age as one of GRACE. As such, it would seem that God is not smiting people left and right anymore than he is striking church members down who do not fulfill their financial pledge. Nor is the death penalty appropriate for those who purport to utter a prophecy from God that does not turn out to be true.

If we were living in the kind of age where God routinely struck people down for tinkering with the Holy Land or uttering false prophecy �" well, I am not sure some televangelists would make the cut.

I’m David Stokes with today’s BELTWAY BLOG.

posted by Rev David R. Stokes @ 6:13 AM

But, that’s where it stops. I can’t imagine standing in my pulpit and telling our congregation that I have “insider information” about WHY God is doing such and such.

This I don't understand.

Aren't ministers supposed to have an "inside track" as it were, to God? Don't they have a greater understanding of God and his ways than the laymen? If not, then why is he in the position that he is in?

Protestant's get quite snarky about this - so it's important to be clear.

A Priest is merely a learned individual - he doesn't have a special conduit to God. He's simply a minister ordained in the rites of his church and charged with the spiritual ministration of the congregation.

The Catholics believe that a Priest is a special person chosen by God who has an inside track to the mind of the Almighty.

Dark Virtue said:
This I don't understand.

Aren't ministers supposed to have an "inside track" as it were, to God? Don't they have a greater understanding of God and his ways than the laymen? If not, then why is he in the position that he is in?

a minister is just someone who, well, ministers, preaches, etc. Why would it be anything else? They are as close to God as any Christian we just choose them to lead a church

ChickenSoup said:
a minister is just someone who, well, ministers, preaches, etc. Why would it be anything else? They are as close to God as any Christian we just choose them to lead a church

On what basis?

The same as any other job. You study to get the right education and then interview with the organisation in question.

Different posts require different levels of expertise / experience.

What was so hard about the question?

I understand that ministers are just like the congregation. However, they are in a position of authority, in a position of influence. They should be held to a higher standard than those they minister to. Just like a public official or any teacher. Which is precisely why I have problems with people like Pat Robertson, Jesse Jackson, Jim Bakker, etc.

I understand that.

But shouldn't they be?

After all, their teachings, their interpretations, their counseling affects a great many people.

ChickenSoup said:
All men are created equal under God and soon and soforth, erm rather and such *waves pipe*

I think you're taking that out of context.

Did God speak to every single Israelite during the Exodus? Or did he speak to Moses and relied on a single person to dispense his teachings? That is just ONE example. Need more?

Sure! *snicker* *sneaks away and turns on donut-baker*

Mmmm... *hands DV a kreme-filled*

All right, I still take my stand as we are spiritually equal, it'd be like a parent showing favoritism. I think. Might be the maple syrup speaking

I meant to bring this up earlier but forgot...looks like Pat Robertson is trying to swallow his foot again:

"He remarked that the outpouring of rage elicited by cartoons “just shows the kind of people we’re dealing with. These people are crazed fanatics, and I want to say it now: I believe it’s motivated by demonic power. It is satanic, and it’s time we recognize what we’re dealing with.”"

He's taking a minority of that religion and pasting their views onto Islam as a whole. That's like comparing the Branch Davidians to the whole of Christianity.

Back