Petition

iamscott

Okay, here's the deal. The ESRB is an organization full of corruption. They don't do their jobs. Explore their website a little to check this out. I feel that something needs to be done about this, and that we, as consumers and Christians have the power to do this. Is anyone with me? I want to know exactly what we are petitioning against because, frankly, my thoughts aren't all together at the moment. I'm on deadline at the school newspaper, so I'm stressing just a little. Please let me know what you think about this, and if any of you have any ideas about what the petition should represent.

Thanks.

we should have some things we request be changed
For example:

Actually play the games instead of watching a video
Mention swearing
Mention sexual themes/inuendos

yeah, especially that last part, i just played XIII, rated m, but only for blood and extreme violence, very fake blood and animated violence it shoulda been, but there was some nudity, excessive swearing, the f word was in there many times, and every enemy had a tendency to yell the s one evertime he saw the main character, but yet none of this stuff was mentioned at all in the content descriptors, so pretty much that they need to examine the whole game, not just selected parts.

It was that bad??? That's odd, especially when a game like the original Max Payne, which had gratuitous usage of the word 'freakin' in it was rated M for Blood and Gore, Violence, and Strong Language. You'd think that they'd rate it like that.

Cheryl, I am in the process of writing a commentary for a (hopefully) exclusive newsletter. It could just be the commentary. But it has to do with the petition and the messed up ratings and morals in the game industry. Tell me what you think about that idea.

yeah, it was that bad, the blood and violence wasnt all that bad, it was just the other stuff that they did not mention on the content descriptors. this stuff kinda ruined the game, as with out it, it would of been much better

Yeah, and zone of the enders and it's m, for violence,blood and gore and there wasn't any blood and gore. The ESRB rates cutscenes which can be skipped

Okay. I'm in the process of polishing up the commentary. It really isn't a 'blurb' per se. Um. It's more... ...well, it evolved from a two-page thing, into a five-page commentary. I've just got to organize it a bit more, and then I'll submit it to you. There's also some stuff I've got to fix, but it's not major, and won't take very long.

well for the newsletter I'd say we're starting a petition against the ESRB you can read about it her and post your commentatry. should this get it's own subdomain on CCGR?

maybe http://esrb.ccgr.org ?? thoughts?

if we plan to get the word out, having a url ppl can see is related to the petition will halp in a psychological sense, making the petition seem mre legit.

submitted the request for the subdomain, anyone want to do the html?? I can whip somehting up if needs be.

probly would be best to put up a temporary page or 2 to start with to give ppl something, while a more thurough page(s) are being worked on. if u guys need any html coding, or javascript or perl for that matter done, let me know, so i can set aside some time to work on it. it would probly be best for a simple non cluttered design, as to not detract from the purpose of the petetion, but to enhance the content to really stick out and make it easier to read. finding a good color scheme and fonts can add immensely to a readers comprehension and lvl of trust they have in wht they are reading. so it would probly be best if u were to just put up something temporary so we can then have time to put someting really good together while not delaying the petition any longer then it needs to be. just a thought, anyways.

yeah hardest part will be the deciding on how to handle people adding their names to the petition.

a basic cgi script and a text database could accomplish this, as could asp and php, but i never really looked too much into learning them, as i perferred integrating javascript and per; together to achieve similar results.

a form posting info to a a script that records it to a .txt or whtever file type for that matter, or to an sql database if anyone feels like setting that up, then a subroutine/function that displays a page with the petition reslts, and also add in email capabilities to notify whoever that a person has signed the petition, and a confirmation for the signer. it really doesnt have to be overly complicated to work well, ill see if i can throw a basic example of something like this together over the weekend and ill put it on my site so ppl can test it out.

looks good, this is off to a good start. this weekend or next, ill work on updating my site and make a section for this too, then u can add that to the partners section. i havent touched my site in a while, but im gonna be adding some new stuff to it soon, and ill add a section stating my support for the petition on there too.

its
SVG Tek

btw, its really outdated rite now, but im gonna be workin on it over the next week. good job on the site tho, looks good.

Cool. I will get the commentary to you pretty soon here, and try and get the word out somehow. I was thinking of trying to write to some magazines. Maybe they'll publish the letters, and then some people will see that we mean business. Personally, I don't think that the ESRB is acceptable in any way, shape, or form as it stands today. If we can change the way games are rated, maybe then people will also see the wrong that some games have in them, thusly enabling people to make smart gaming decisions.

Many people do not care about ratings. They say 'The ESRB doesn't mean anything.' Well, guess what, people. It does mean something, and it is an important part of the way that families buy games. I hope that the government will make it so that kids cannot buy Mature rated games, and I hope that a standard will be set about the ways that games are rated. Everything about these ratings have changed so much in the past decade. Some games should definetely have been rated Adults Only, games like Soldier of Fortune and BMX XXX. I have Christian friends whose parents don't even know the kinds of games that they are into. I know for a fact that they would not let their kids play Devil May Cry, or Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance if they knew what the content of those games are. Hey, but I'm getting way too into this. I already said a lot of this in the commentary.

I think that the website is a great idea. The main problem I see here is that most secular gamers will think that the site is set up by a bunch of radical, conservative Christians who don't play games, but just complain about them. Either that, or they will dismiss us as just gibberish when we show this to them. What ways could we show them that we are serious? How will they know that we aren't just a bunch of people complaining about Grand Theft Auto? I don't see any way at the moment, but perhaps some of you have some ideas. Not that I'm trying to hide my faith, but we need to be able to reach out to these people, yet not discourage them at the same time. We need to be welcoming, but not too much so. And most of all, we need to show these people, these 15-25 year old gamers that, besides objecting to the ESRB, we are humans, and not perfect Christians like the world expects them to believe.

I will compose a letter to Ziff-Davis Media, owners of gaming magazines such as GMR, EGM, XBN, OPM, and Computer Gaming World and tell them and gamers about us. I will also write a letter to Nintendo Power and GamePro to tell them about us. It is my hope that these letters will reach the desired audience, and then we can make action. Someone else should find out how many votes we need to have in order to make a difference. Any volunteers?

there is no Christian reference other than the CCGR partner and hosting. But CCGR has host other non-Christian domains.

This site will be worthy of a /. post when you have your commentary ready.

i was kinda hesitant to veiw this topic, but im glad i did, esrb is one of the worst rating companys ive seen in a long time. several games are over rated while others are under rated. hmm that reminds me to work on a game review for some odd reason.

Back