Physician Assisted Suicide

Mr.Bill

How do you all feel about phyician assisted suicide? For those of you who are unfamiliar with the practice, it is usually when a doctor gives a patient some pills or other such life-ending substance for him or her to take when ready. This is generally for the elderly and terminally ill; those with only months left to life, and are in great amounts of pain. It is presently illegal in all states except for Oregon, where it is under close supervision by the state government.

Some other interesting things to note: Roughly 40% of doctors in the USA will receive a request from a patient to help them to commit suicide, and roughly 20% of these requests are gone through with. Perhaps more insteresting is that this happens significantly less in Oregon, where it is legal, than outside the state in illegal areas. Approximately 1 in 1000 dying Oregonians will do through with the process, while in other states the ratio is 4 in 1000. This is probably due to the safegaurds placed by the government in Oregon to protect against missuse.

Your thoughts?

I kind of had a 'physician assisted suicide' in my family. My grandmother got breast cancer and it was before they knew much about it....the cancer ended up spreading....and while she didn't go to the doctor for pills to end her life, the doctor told her if the pain go really bad and she couldn't take it anymore that she could take a certain amount of this medicine and it would kill her....we all can argue/state what we WOULD do but we really have no clue how we would react.....I'm glad my grandmother was out of her pain, I didn't find out about how it all ended until later though.....and it was all medication prescribed to her, so of course the death because one from cancer...not the medication............ANYWAYs, might sound confusing..for her, at that moment, that was what was best....nowadays however, I think there have been too many advancements for such an act as physciain assisted suicide to occur....

Modern medicine has greatly succeeded in prolonging our life span, but it has not done much at all for the suffering of the terminally ill. We die differently today than we did 50 years ago, because we live so long. Actually, you could easily make the argument that there is more suffering for the terminally ill today than there was years ago, because we live so long.

Last edited:
Back