• Mesmer

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Elementalist

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Necromancer

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Curmudgeon

Taran's already got a really good first build thread, but I'm lazy about counting everything up, so after the Betas and stress test, what have you decided for your Main characters profession?

Bick will be my Warrior; will play him while/when my wife is able to play (she has some disabilities) (craft from him will be Artificer)
Klaatu (Guardian) will probably age faster though... maybe a Jeweler
Southern Cross will be a Mesmer

I'll first claim a Human elemetalist - and we'll see form there. Was going to be a Charr warrior but it looks like everyone is going to have a Charr warrior.

Ursina's great, great, great, great granddaughter will carry on the family tradition of Ranger.

I've been having a very difficult time deciding on my main. I really liked the old GW1 styled rangers - ranged, moderate straight dps with good AoE, and petless.

And I've been hoping the GW2 ranger would play similarly. Don't get me wrong, the ranger is fun and I have no doubt that I'll have one. But I think I'll start with a Rifle warrior instead of a Longbow ranger. The longbow ranger just has too many scattered traits that don't sync as well as the rifle warrior. And when playing through the content for the first time, not knowing what to expect around the corner, I'll need something that syncs well and can generally survive. Ranged with heavy armor make a good survival combination.

Both elementalist and guardian looked really fun, too. They will probably quickly follow after leveling.

Guardian for sure. Though I have been falling more and more in love with my ele. So those'll be my main, but I'll also have a warrior and necro and ranger as alts.

Guardian most often, but depending on mood, time of day, moon phase, what color my wife is wearing, what I had for afternoon snack, and the last GW2 youtube video I watched, Mesmer, Ranger, and Warrior could be in the lead for my main.

And I desperately want to like Thief because of aesthetics, but can't seem to enjoy the way it plays.

I start every MMO off the same way:

I'm the dude what casts the fires and makes the enemies fall down. So in GW2, I'm gonna be an Elementalist and carry on the Pyril Stormhand tradition. :D

Wow, so many warrior's and ele's. While I pretty much decided my main will be a warrior, maybe I'll try to level a necro or mesmer and if I like them, maybe switch to one of them as the main. This way we have a bit more variety in the guild. ;)

EDIT: I did get a short chance at playing an engineer during the last stress test and it was fun. Considering I play engineer's in Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3, maybe I should scrap my glass cannon dual sword warrior build I have planned and research the engineer and come up with a build? Although, the poll is still new -- we'll see how things shake out.

Last edited:
The poll looks just like what I've seen elsewhere.

Lots of Warriors and Eles (who doens't want big damage?), Guardian and Ranger stable, the rest of the classes seen as problematic.

It'll be interesting to see how those other four classes will be tweaked in the first month or so of play.

The poll looks just like what I've seen elsewhere.

Lots of Warriors and Eles (who doens't want big damage?), Guardian and Ranger stable, the rest of the classes seen as problematic.

And yet Anet wants to do away with the "holy trinity" that tends to exemplify MMOs: tank, dps, healer. The closest to a healer in GW2 is the guardian, imo.

Yes. We'll see how well the game does in that regard over the long run.

It totally makes sense how things are falling out, though. The four classes with the most unusual systems are the least favorites. Either ANet is having trouble making them work (and be balanced) because they are unusual, or players are having trouble figuring out how to play them for the same reason, depending on who you talk to. My guess is it's a little bit of both columns.

I'll admit, the ones I'm attracted to most aesthetically are Mesmer, Engineer, and Thief, but I'm not the best video game player in the world, and have concerns about being able to learn those trickier classes well enough to keep up with the Warriors, Rangers and Elementalists. I like the aesthetics of the Guardian as well, and it seems to be in a pretty good place design-wise, hence the reason it's at the top of my list.

I couldn't get my head around Engineer at all when I played it. Just felt clunky to me the whole time. I really like the idea of Mesmer, but there seems to be an intense amount of snap decisions that are crucial to playing it right whereas other professions feel like they have a bit more wiggle room. I love the idea of shadow stepping all over the place as thief, but as a noob do I really want to play one of the squishiest classes in the game who is reliant on quick reflexes?

At least in the first dozen levels, playing Warrior or Ele was like night and day with the other classes. I'd play something else for a while, then get on Warrior or Ele and walk around facerolling through the countryside.

The other thing is versatility. Warriors, Eles, and Guardians have such clear desirability in all aspects of play. You're going to want them in dungeons, on sPvP teams, and in WvW. The other classes are a little more difficult. What is the thief's role in a big boss fight in a dungeon? Other than a few gimmicks like reflecting ranged damage and creating teleport circles, how will a Mesmer fare in WvW with illusions getting nuked as fast as they can bring them out?

I expect there will be a way for every class to work in each area of the game, but it'll take a little more thinking to it them into a team than it will for Warrior/Guardian/Elementalist.

Last edited:
I loved the engineer, for pve it was great, I would set up and farm as long as I wanted. For pvp the toolbelt gives me mobility and cc skills to each their own though. :)

Back