Prophecy whats it about in our day and age??

Jeshurun

Okay I know that there was many Biblical prophets and many prophecies and even now there are prophets with there prophecies among us to this very day.

And I realize also that there are many false prophets no doubt, but a true prophet of God is one that uttered the actual words which God gave to him and he had two aspects of work: forthtelling and foretelling.

In this day and age of history, I see prophecy as being about correction, rebuke and encouragement even as it was with Biblical prophecies.

So whats your take on "Prophecy whats it about in our day and age?

Please keep in mind that I'm speaking about our present day prophets of God.

Last edited:
Ok, first a little background music! Maestro!
1 Corinthians 13:2
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

1 Corinthians 14:1
Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.

1 Corinthians 14:6
Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?

22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers. 23So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

2 Peter 1:21
For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

There's a fine line between discernment, edification and prophecy
All three are meant as a means of speaking to the spirit within human beings.

Discernment is a means of knowing whether a gifting is from God or not as well as distinguishing between spirits.
-Often God will show me where He is or where He's going..
(As well as where He's been.)

Edification is a means of uplifting men so he/she can see the Lord inside and out.
-Often I will submit to God, ask, and be filled to overflowing with His Life, thereby bubbling over to other believers.. If they chose to recieve this it then becomes thiers :)

Prophecy is a means of dealing with the root of issues and is usually accompanied by a variant mixture of, dare I say, ALL spiritual gifts.
-Often God will often inform me as to a persons state of being, then tell me how or why they are that way, and filling me so full of Jesus I burst Jesus juice everywhere! :D

The issues vary, but the way of dealing with one's life are always the same.. GOD, speaking to us by His Son :)

As well, we are all members of ONE body, even Christ! :D
God created us as a living organism, in need of one another :)

1 Corinthians 13:8-10
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

1 Corinthians 13:12
Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Zeena said:
-Often God will often inform me as to a persons state of being, then tell me how or why they are that way, and filling me so full of Jesus I burst Jesus juice everywhere! :D

You're an interesting one, Zeena.

Anyhow, I do find myself agreeing with most of what you're saying. Prophecy is a very often misunderstood spiritual gift. Often, we get so caught up in the future-telling that certain prophets did that we miss their calls to righteousness. A perfect example is Ezekiel-- without looking, I am willing to bet that 90% of the people who frequent these boards can tell me all about the battle of Gog and Magog and argue about whether the dry bones prophecy has been fulfilled or not... but they cannot specifically say WHY God was upset at Israel in Ezekiel's time. (Specifically, without looking, they had put an image of Asherah next to the altar of sacrifice in the temple, and the Sanhedrin had turned to Egyptian gods and goddesses according to Ezekiel 8.)

Of course, it is far more important in our own lives that we heed the call of both the prophets of old and today's "prophets"-- who could be a pastor of yours, an author of a book that cuts to your heart and calls you to change, a Bible-based message you hear on the radio or TV, or even a friend who sees you so transparently that they know your true heart better than you do.

Put simply, a prophet, today, is someone who calls people to turn away from sin and towards God.

And I realize also that there are many false prophets no doubt, but a true prophet of God is one that uttered the actual words which God gave to him and he had two aspects of work: forthtelling and foretelling.

How does one differentiate between a "true" (here we go with that term again) prophet of God and one that is not?

How do you know what God told him, if anything. How do you, or the prophet for that matter, know if the message is from God, Satan or some sort of psychotic delusion?

The difference between the two is that the true prophet is led by the Spirit of God.
God gives the word and by His Spirit the prophet speaks it.

The false prophet is lead by the spirit of anti-christ, a lying spirit of Lucifer.
Lucifer(Satan) gives the word and by his lying spirit the false prophet speaks it.

If you will look in the book of Isaiah 44:25 and Jeremiah 23 this is how God deals with false prophets.

Jesus gave us the test to tell if one is a false prophet in Matthew 7:15-23 check it out for yourself in God's Word.

Jesus said at the end of the age that there will be many false prophets arise and lead many astray.(Matt.24:11) Matthew 24:24 says "For false Christ's and false prophets will arise and show great sighs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible even the elect."

Just as Jesus had John the Baptist so to will the Anti-Christ have his false prophet (Rev.16:13) in end days.(Rev.19:20)

False prophets do not live long.(Deut.13:1-5) This is the old way of dealing with false prophets but in this day and age God will deal with them personally.

Finally for now I will just leave this one for you to read in Deut.18:15-22 which is about what a true prophet is or is not.

Last edited:
[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff;173938 said:
Put simply, a prophet, today, is someone who calls people to turn away from sin and towards God.
Amen!
I'd say you said it better than I did! haha
But I'm quickened and will soon reach maturity! :D

Being a kid is kinda fun tho.. (even tho I'm an adult-lol..I didn't come into saving faith 'till I was 29)
Like a honeymoon for newlyweds :D

Love you Bill!

A prophet of God today is more than one who calls people to turn away from sin and towards God.
It is only in serving God that one becomes elevated to the position of a prophet.
A prophet of God is one who is obedient to speak exactly what God tells him to speak.

A prophet of God today is more than one who calls people to turn away from sin and towards God.
It is only in serving God that one becomes elevated to the position of a prophet.
A prophet of God is one who is obedient to speak exactly what God tells him to speak.
Praise God!
And, there's only One real prophet now that He's ascended on high :)
Revelation 10:19b
Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Could you please give me some examples of modern day prophets of God, as well was some examples of false prophets?

Thanks!

Could you please give me some examples of modern day prophets of God, as well was some examples of false prophets?

Thanks!

For what reason do you need to put a name on either one?

I can only say this-
Those who serve the Living God are His prophets. (Truth)
Those who serve Satan are his false prophets. (liars)

Thats all I will give you.

Your Welcome!

Last edited:
For what reason do you need to put a name on either one?

I can only say this-
Those who serve the Living God are His prophets. (Truth)
Those who serve Satan are his false prophets. (liars)

Thats all I will give you.

Your Welcome!

I'm merely asking for examples so I can understand your definitions better.

Why are examples too much to ask?

I'm merely asking for examples so I can understand your definitions better.

Why are examples too much to ask?

Like I said why do you need a face to understand the definition of a prophet?

I gave my examples if you read my previous posts on the topic. If your so determined to put a name on their faces ask someone else here or go somewhere else.

If the Spirit of God tells me not to give names to your inquiry I will listen and obey.

Like I said why do you need a face to understand the definition of a prophet?

When you learn mathematics, don't you rely on examples? Don't you rely on examples for most of your learning experiences?

I gave my examples if you read my previous posts on the topic. If your so determined to put a name on their faces ask someone else here or go somewhere else.

Then consider this a formal request to anyone and everyone to please furnish me with a specific example of a current Godly prophet and a current false prophet. Pretty please? With a cherry on top?

If the Spirit of God tells me not to give names to your inquiry I will listen and obey.

Is that what you were told? Why is that?

If God does exist, then he knows my heart and why I ask this question.

1 Corinthians 4:22b
prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.
Are you now a believer?
Are you now a King?
Oh how I wish that you really were so we could share in your Kingdom!

Back