PSN Plus

Ok, I bit. Had $37 on a best buy gift card. Took in a 10% off games coupon to buy a PSN card for $45 (plus you get BB rewards, too). Basically if you have a BB near you, you can save ~10% through their rewards program, and another 10% if you use a coupon for PSN cards. Anyway...

I already own Wipeout (great game!) and I have more than gotten my $3 worth this month. If you don't own Wipeout but have any interest, this is a no-brainer as far as value is concerned.

I'm wanting to encourage others to bite as well. I feel this is a great value (which I'll detail below), but I have an alterior motive. It seems that a lot of us are interested in a lot of the same games, but we don't play together online often. Why? Because we buy the games at different times. Some buy @ launch and resell, others wait till a price drop, etc. If we all have a PSN+ subscription, we'll be getting games at the same time, and it will be much easier to hook up and play. (in theory)

Anyway, here's what a PSN+ subscription buys you:
* Automatic downloads/installs for games (you have to turn this on in settings). I really like this feature because installing stuff when you are all ready to play is annoying.
* Free games (more below) - Free games stay accessible the entire life of the subscription (including renewed subscriptions).
* Free dynamic themes, avatars, DLC - These will never expire. These are free to keep forever. I fall into the camp that I won't go and spend a few dollars for this stuff, yet I really like spending a few dollars and just getting some. Odd, I know, but I think you know what I mean.
* Discounts - Anyone who knows me knows I love saving money. Of course, "saving" can be dangerous, too, as I "saved" $2.50 on Mortal Kombat 2 but wouldn't have paid $5 for it.
* Qore - PSN+ includes a Qore subscription. If you are unfamiliar, Qore is basically an interactive, digital gaming "magazine". Each month has lots of videos (similar to pulse), and other stuff on upcoming titles, along with some freebies. There is some neat stuff featured here, and is something I wouldn't pay for on its own (maybe I would now after seeing it), but I love getting along with PSN+.
* "Full" game trials - Or, at least all you can get in one hour, haha. Personally I don't like the idea of downloading ~6GB to play for one hour, but it can certainly give a better idea of a game. Better than not having it.
* Exclusive offers on select demos, betas, and early purchases - whatever that means...really is a crap shoot and will likely be nice every now and then, but not a biggie as far as I can tell

Honestly, I feel I've gotten my $3 worth out of the top 5 bullet points by themselves, let alone all together. Plus it's only two weeks out of the first month, so far.

Ok, just to add, here's the content you get so far. Remember this is only the first two weeks of this month:

Free Games
Wipeout HD (PS3) - 1.04 GB

Free PS1 Classics
Rally Cross (PS3/PSP) - 103 MB

Free PSN Minis
Age of Zombies (PS3/PSP) - 21 MB
Field Runners (PS3/PSP) - 29 MB

Deals
Fat Princess - Fat Roles Expansion - $3.99
Rampage - $2.50
Mortal Kombat II - $2.50
Gauntlet II - $2.50
Rampart - $2.50
Cuboid - $7.99
Hamsterball - $3.99
Interpol: The Trail of Dr. Chaos - $7.99
Magic Orbz - $7.99
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom - $7.99
Smash Cars - $11.99
Wakeboarding HD - $11.99
Super Stardust HD - $5.00
Super Stardust HD - Team Add-on Pack - $2.50
Super Stardust HD - Solo Add-on Pack - $2.50
Hamsterball - $3.99

Free Qore
Qore Episode 26 - July 2010

Full Game Trials
Infamous (PS3) - 6.88 GB - Free Trial - $29.99 to purchase

Free Add-ons
Warhawk - Fallen Star Pack
Cuboid - Booster Pack
Cuboid - Bundle Pack
Cuboid - Level Editor
Magic Orbz - Booster Pack
Magic Orbz - Jungle Pack
Magic Orbz - Winter Pack
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom - Booster Pack
Smash Cars - Virus Run

Free Themes
Collision (I really like this one)
King Zumo

Free Avatars
Fat Princess (2)
MAG (3)

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the detailed list, man. I'm too cheap to buy in at this point (especially since my Live Gold subscription just ran out, and I can't play games online without it), but it's definitely looking like a better deal than I expected.

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the detailed list, man. I'm too cheap to buy in at this point (especially since my Live Gold subscription just ran out, and I can't play games online without it), but it's definitely looking like a better deal than I expected.

Why do you need a live subscription to play online with us on the PS3? :confused:

Why do you need a live subscription to play online with us on the PS3? :confused:
lol Good question. :p

The majority of my friends over at Shoryuken are XBL peepz... along with most of my friends back home (ie, in Florida). I kinda like having both XBL and PSN.

Kind of random and off the wall, but I'd like to say I'm hoping to see XFire come to PSN+ as a service. It isn't entirely off the wall, because XFire was implemented in one game (Untold Legends) a while back with nothing else done.

Also, new free games this week:
Critter Crunch
Syphon Filter
Kahoots

Anyone try any of these games yet, and if so, what did you think? I hate to say it, but this is starting to make me not want to buy PSN games for fear they'll be free later. I hope this doesn't dip too much into Sony's sales and end up with them cancelling the service.

Thought there was going to be a free trial for Plus... I can't find it anywhere. :/

Sorry, no free trial that I know of. But you can see what all you get under PSN+ in the store. I'm not sure whether or not you can download last month's stuff (like wipeout hd) or not, but it's still a good deal. :)

Also, new free games this week:
Critter Crunch
Syphon Filter
Kahoots

Anyone try any of these games yet, and if so, what did you think?
Critter Crunch plays like Magical Drop III, so I'd recommend it.

Will try that one out first, then...can't turn down a recommendation when I've already gotten it with subscription. :)

I'm finally biting the bullet today. Getting PSN Plus. Got hype.

Just wish I would have gotten in on it up front, though. Cost money I may not have had at the time... but I could have Wipeout HD and Zen Pinball and and and... yeah.

But whatevz. Discounts and "free" games are gonna be nice. I think it'll help with budget control, too. I'll be able to regularly feed my gaming ADD without actually spending new money on games.

Woot, congrats! You're trapped now, though, since your "free" games will expire in 3 months. Mwahahahahahaha.

I'm well aware. But at $3.33/month for good games... and discounts (picked up MAG Interdiction DLC today for half price... something I was gonna buy anyway)... and feeding my ADD... well... that's a good deal.

Also, Shatter is a lot of fun. Definitely a decent "free" game. Not a Plus seller in itself, but that's what tomorrow's for.

Time to give Oddworld a shot (never did back in the day).

Also, I found a way to get custom amounts of money added to my wallet. I had to put five bucks in to get the DLC for MAG, but it was only $2.50 (plus tax). I wanted money in my account for a three dollar game (PSone discounts, ahoy!), but not necessarily the games there. Couldn't add in custom amounts, so I got to thinking.

If you add items to your cart, you can add money to your wallet to match that amount. You can then remove those items from the cart before completing the purchase.

So I now have $3.00+tax in my wallet.

/pro tip

Yeah, I really think that if one is wanting to buy something that is discounted on the PSN, that should create serious consideration for getting PSN. I've been slacking for the last few months and need to figure out what downloads I missed, and if I can still get them. I've got so much stuff from PSN+ that I haven't been able to even play it all.

It is a fantastic day to be a Playstation Plus subscriber. Sam & Max (eps 1-5), DCUOnline beta, Crash Team Racing, and another tower defense game? Pssh. Such a good day for PSPlus subscribers.

Downloading all my stuff now. :D

C... T... R...?!

@___________________________________________________________________________________________________@

/best Kart racer ever
/wants it on PSP
/doesn't want to pay $17 again for Plus

$50 for Plus. Much better deal.

Seriously... I won't keep pumping in $18 at a time. One way or another, I'll get the 15 month subscription before this three month one runs out.

But alas, I can't really buy console gaming stuff until January when I see what the fallout is between moving into the dorms and paying for meal plans and such. :/

Back