quick guild wars question

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
ok, by the descriptions ive read ive gotten confused: are u able to just go out and quest at any point and time? does everything revolve around some kind of stadium?? u can only go up to level 20, compared to WoW isnt that kinda lame?

yes u can go out and quest whenever u want to. And basically the main focus of the game is PvP or GvG (person vs person or guild vs guild). Because of that, i believe, is why they have the cap at lvl 20 so its more about the PvP and not all about the rpg factor. The rpg part is to unlock things and build up your character.

You are able to go out and quest at any point with your PvE (Player vs. environment) characters. Most of the level appropriate missions and quests are geared to full groups of 4-8 depending on how far along you are. If you can't find others to join you, or just want to play alone, there are computer controlled henchmen (tank, healer, archer, ...) that you can bring along to fill out the team.

As for the PvP (competition arenas), you can play through the entire PvE world without going into the arenas at all. In fact, it is possible to just fight through the explorable areas without doing any of the main story line missions. Or, you can even create pre-made Lvl 20 PvP characters using skills you have unlocked in PvE or by spending faction points to go to any of the arenas. These prebuilt characters are not allowed into the explorable world or missions, though.

The Lvl 20 cap is intended to make players focus on skill and strategy rather than grinding up to get to the next level all the time. Once you do get to 20, you do continue to earn skill points to learn new skills (special attacks or spells). The level cap also helps balance the PvP battles as well. I'm sure most of the people in the WoW battlegrounds are at or near Lvl60.

GW also limits players to 8 skills when in a mission, quest area or arena. This forces some level of strategy for selection of the skills.

I would say if you enjoy exploring new areas, WoW has a much larger world for you to explore. GW still has a lot to do, but is tuned a little more for the PvP. Don't get me wrong, though, I have been playing casually for several months and haven't completed the missions yet.

Wow, I got a little long winded there :)

if say i played for bout 30 hours on PvE would there still be a bit left? and how big is the skill/spell tree?

I have been playing for over 30 hours now. I have barely scratched 1/4th of the world map. I have been mostly playing PvE with maybe an hour spent in each of the 2 PvP arenas I have come across so far. I am having a blast and loving the game.

I love how I can jump on for 30 mins do a quick quest, earn some new skills and log off. It is very casual-gaming friendly.

The skill tree is way deep. Just today I turned my Mo/W from a axe wielding semi-healer to a full blown healer/smiter. I swaped out almost all of my 8 skills and changed around all the skill points. I love how you can retool your template on the fly. No gimped characters!

I am looking forward to learning more about PvP but for now I am just enjoying the PvE and looking forward to the next cooperative mission so I can watch some cool cut scenes and movies.

By the way, if there are any other "lowbies" like me in the guild that want to group for quests and stuff, give me a shout.

have a great night all, ciao for now.

laf, it'll be somethin around "Atown" :p

hey Atown, what's up. make sure to give me a buzz in game.

yeah, try not to think of this as a MMORPG. it's a C(ompetitive)ORPG as Arena would describe it.

woot arch-angel didt know u played too

Back