Ranger PvE support build?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Okay, I didn't want to be That Guy. You know, That Guy who doesn't do the research himself and just asks for a template.

But man, my Ranger is level 51 now, I haven't spent any trait points (that I recall) and I've got a truckload of unspent skill points as well.

I just can't bring myself to spend an hour or more researching builds when my gaming time has greatly shrunk since my daughter was born. (I've also found that I shy away from games with learning curves, like FTL, because I don't want to take the time to learn a new game. On a related note, I've been on a platformer kick lately.)

I did a quick search for a recommended support build, but I only found one "finalized" build (i.e. not a forum thread where people were discussing tweaking the build) and it's from October.

So could any of the expert rangers in the house link me to a serviceable build for PvE support/DPS? I play my ranger almost exclusively with my wife, who's never been the biggest fan of PvP (which means that I need to level a second character for PvP one of these days). The large majority of my game time is spent questing with her. (She plays a Guardian.)

Vague suggestions (other than LMGTFY) are also appreciated. :)

It's funny to think that I once spent hours plotting out what armor, equipment, and skills I wanted before taking my level 48 Dwarf Hunter to the WoW battlegrounds and now I just want to plug in a few skills and get back to the game.

Children change things (and all the sacrifices are more than worth it). :)

Did you try https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-DPS-Longbow-Spirits-Build-June-25th

The build is http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMA...OjDZ0VoUA-jwxAYrATWAoPwJvioxWcLiGruGT5SEVDA-e

Ranger is probably one of the two professions I pay least attention to, but the guide seems recent enough and tailored to what you're talking about. I'd think paired with a guardian you could go pretty heavily offense, but the guide also talks about support via spirits, and addresses running with a guardian.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great fit, I'll read a little more and then probably take the plunge next time I play.

Thank you!

Right now, its difficult to pinpoint a good Ranger build. The Ranger is in flux - changing - with heavy nerfs, strong buffs, then new nerfs, then new ways skills work, then nerfs, and some buffs . . . its a mess right now. Hopefully, ArenaNet will settle down soon, but honestly, it looks like it'll take them a few more months (yes, months) before that happens.

Presently, the Bunker Ranger is still a working viable build even with the heavy nerfs to it. But that's really the only one that's considered "working". Melee Ranger/Beastmaster. (and that's not my playstyle, so I'm not the best one to asking about it)

Back