Rangers

Compared to the build Koeril linked, mine sacrifices 1000 health for much stronger conditions, 200 more armor, and 100 more power, plus the ability to couple with your pet for survivability.

Nice! *Writes this down ... taking excessive notes*

I just had to redo my guardian build now that I actually know what guardians are like. It'll be interesting to see where my thoughts on rangers go once I start playing mine.

I've been toying with different builds for my ranger as well. For me, 20 in Marksmanship and 20 in Skirmishing are a must. I run double bows, so X in Marksmanship (extra longbow range) and X in Skirmishing (extra bow speed) are requirements for my playstyle. I am primarily a longbow ranger shooting at max range (1,500) and the extra distance really makes a difference (more survivability). In PvE, when monsters are looking for targets within range, keeping at the max range the game allows almost makes me a 'non-target'. Mostly (not always). I use the shortbow for kiting and hitting targets on the move (it has a range of 1,200). Everything else in the trait lines is negotiable.

Yesterday, I decided to try something new. I have been running 20/20/20/0/10 with Carrion armor for extra condition damage off the shortbow. Extra toughness is good for survivability. I was also trying 10 points to make my pets heal better. A pet that stays alive makes good aggro-magnet. But yesterday, I decided to try 30/30/10/0/0. Piercing arrows was really nice to add. And I noticed my dps practically doubled by the change in traits and Cleric armor (more survivability in both toughness and healing power). I'm thinking the way to go is maxing out precision (making critical hits as close to 100% as possible). Giving my pet Carnivorous Appetite would then give it the frequent healing it needed (from critical hits) and an increase in my overall damage output. I don't know if I like the Cleric armor or not yet. Still needs testing. If I need more survivability, I can switch to Knight's armor (very high in toughness and has good vitality and power). If I'm doing okay in surviving, I might switch to Rampager's armor for higher precision and overall damage. Beserker's armor would be my second choice for dps increases. The danger, however, is that focusing just on dps makes the ranger a "glass cannon" and vulnerable to heavy attacks. So my goal (at this time) is high precision with good survivability.

For utilities, rangers are petty sad. Many of the utilities need serious improvements. As they stand now, I use two survival (quickness and bleeding) and one signet (for condition removal). Rangers have poor condition removal ability, so I take what I can get.

I'm hoping the increase in healing power (from Cleric's armor) will also increase healing on my pet. But again, that needs testing. I'm not sure if it does yet or not.

And lastly, since I'm a medium armor ranger, I'm more squishy in combat that say the heavily armored guardians and warriors. So I don't want to melee combat as a ranger. That's my pet's job. So I like to take either bears to tank (highest vitality) or eagle/hawk to run (they grant swiftness boons). Eagles/Hawks swoop in and out of combat. They have the lowest dps, but good evasion. Bears are good for taking a beating. So both work well to keep my target occupied. Their job is not dps, but keeping the target still and away from me. My job is dps. Its a matter of teamwork.

So that's how I roll as a ranger.

Calculating Precision

All characters start with 4% natural critical chance.

Your base precision is effectively ignored by the system. Additional critical chance is only provided by precision from your weapons/armor/jewelry/traits.

The amount of additional precision (not base) required to increase the chance of a critical hit by 1% is determined by the following formula, where Level is your character level:

0.0025 * (Level^2) + (0.05 * Level) + 1

So, at level 80, you gain 1% critical chance every 21 additional precision points.

- - - - - Example - - - - -

Skirmishing 20 points = 20% (lets say you don't want to commit a full 30 points in Skirmishing)

Superior Sigil of Superior Accuracy = +5% Critical Chance (a value of +105 Precision)

Rampager Longbow (exotic) = +179 precision pts (8.52%)

Superior Runes of the Ranger = +165 precision pts (+7.85%)

Exotic Jewels (Amulet, Accessories, and Rings) = Rampager = +944 precision pts (+44.92%)

Exotic Armor = Rampager = +315 precision pts (+15%)
+101 Precision
+72 Power ---> Chest piece stats
+72 Condition Damage

Total Precision = 101.29% Critical Chance

- - - - - Notes - - - - -

Typically the longbow is a "Power" weapon, not precision. Precision is generally a shortbow stat. But as you can see from the chest piece, power is also gaining in all these Rampager items. Similarly, condition damage is also good for the shortbow. Thus, Rampager offers heavy increases to both longbow and shortbow weapons. However, the sacrifice is not enhancing any survivability. Going this route is definitely committing to the "glass cannon" build. And yes, that is a concern I have. If going for a precision build is going to result in many deaths, then I would try to keep "power" for the longbow, and trade in precision for toughness and vitality. Toughness to prevent enemy critical hits on me; vitality to make surviving condition damage viable between cooldowns of healing.

But I found the math interesting, so I'm sharing it in case there were others theorycrafting their rangers.

I tried out Carnivorous Appetite while I was leveling and wasnt too impressed with it. It should also be noted that CA works off your pets crits not yours so low crit pets like bears benefit the least from it and high crit pets like cats benefit the most. If you add it to an overall BM build where you have 30 points in Skirmishing and BM and have both CA and regen on your pet its not bad (especially with Masters Call), and its great for farming but nothing seems to save pets in dungeons, where it counts. Currently Im running 20/20/10/5/15. I grabbed the survival skills shortened cooldown (use QZ, MT, and LR or Stone signet). I also like the regen for myself from the Nature tree and took 15 points in BM for greater pet survivability and the shortened pet swapping. Im avoiding changing too often till we finally see what Anet is gonna do with the class. If they dont fix pets the profession is gonna remain very weak in both pvp and dungeons. It will however force anyone wanting to stick with Rangers to become better and better to compensate for weak class mechanics. Much like what hunters in WoW went through at the begining of the game.

Last edited:
Currently, I'm trying out a split between Beserker and Rampager gear. I have a 59% crit chance on 30/30/10/0/0 traits. I'm not impressed with Carnivorous Appetite. but I can burst 6-9.7k on a QZ Rapid Fire. I wouldn't call that weak dps. Long Range shot is hitting at 1.7-2.7 also. So Rangers are definitely viable in dungeons and can easily top dps party groups. So far, I've been very pleased with the damage output.

Rangers are awesome.

Quick weapon switch is awesome.

The ease of charming new pets is awesome.

That's all I have so far. I only have about ~6 hours invested in my Ranger so far.

Also, I'm planning on taming a jellyfish as soon as possible.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed there are 2 more pages to this thread. *blush*

Last edited:
I had to lol yesterday, someone on Guild chat in reference to Rangers said, "Ask Ursen he knows a lot about Rangers.". Let me put that rumor to rest right now. I set mine up as a general purpose smusher with fair survivability, then bang away on the keyboard. The only part that is a little tricksy is setting traps on the bar so that when I forget to run I can trap my way out. That and Hounds of Balthazar have enabled me to get the first Survivor tier. It is pretty looking when I have Bonfire going with Fire Trap, Spike Trap, and Hounds doing their thing all at once. Fire everywhere.

I had to lol yesterday, someone on Guild chat in reference to Rangers said, "Ask Ursen he knows a lot about Rangers.". Let me put that rumor to rest right now. I set mine up as a general purpose smusher with fair survivability, then bang away on the keyboard. The only part that is a little tricksy is setting traps on the bar so that when I forget to run I can trap my way out. That and Hounds of Balthazar have enabled me to get the first Survivor tier. It is pretty looking when I have Bonfire going with Fire Trap, Spike Trap, and Hounds doing their thing all at once. Fire everywhere.

lol i was the referencer

You guys got me eager to try a ranger - really enjoying it so far (lvl 11). I particularly like the enjoy calling the hawks with the war horn.

Not far enough along to get all duded up with the right armor and weapons - just enjoying the ride right now.

Back