Religious Texts

Dark Virtue

I'm not quite sure how to word this correctly, but here goes...

Do you believe there are God-given/God-inspired texts that are NOT part of the Bible?

The Council of Nicea voted on texts to include in the Bible...what of the texts that were not included?

Should they be given note? Should they be discarded without mention?

How do you make that distinction? How do you determine what is God inspired and what isn't?

Dark Virtue said:
Do you believe there are God-given/God-inspired texts that are NOT part of the Bible?

No I do not. There are other great texts with good value, which may contain some truth, but I believe God preserved what He wanted us to have as far as His Scriptures are concerned.

The Council of Nicea voted on texts to include in the Bible...what of the texts that were not included?

No, the Council of Nicea had nothing to do with forming the cannon of scripture, contrary to Mr. Brown's assertions (not that I'm saying you got that from his books, merely that he made the same mistake).

Yes they are worthy of study and some texts offer interesting historical perspective to things (such as the books of the intertestimental period). They are not on the same level as scripture however.

How do you make that distinction? How do you determine what is God inspired and what isn't?

The way that it was determined. It must have been written either by one of the apostles or a direct disciple thereof; it must show itself to be inspired; it must have recognition from the ECF's; etc, etc, etc.

Dark Virtue said:
I'm not quite sure how to word this correctly, but here goes...

This issue is the main reason my father rejects Christianity, actually.

I don't really have any qualms with it.

i believe there are, like the jewish apocrypha books and other holy writings from them. also the book of enoch and the book of jasher are some of my fav extrabiblical books. my deal on that is they give alot more perspective on the times and things that the bible doesnt. see im a guy of details, and if you read the book of jasher you get the inside details from creation to joseph and the flight from egypt. and i like the book of enoch because it gives all the details about the flood story in genesis and why gawd hadta recreate everything cause of the nephalim(half angels) also if anyone cares, it explains where "unclean" spirits come from.

The only text that I think is legit is the Book of Enoch...simply because it is quoted in the bible...(i.e. Enoch wrote...or something like that)

Berean Todd said:
No, the Council of Nicea had nothing to do with forming the cannon of scripture, contrary to Mr. Brown's assertions (not that I'm saying you got that from his books, merely that he made the same mistake).

My bad, it was the Council of Trent, specifically the Nineteenth Ecumenical Council of the Roman Catholic Church. While I had the wrong council, my point remains the same, is it not?

The canon was voted on by man.

Dark Virtue said:
The canon was voted on by man.

If we are going to assume an omniscient, omnipotent Creator God, who has formed everything we see, including us in our mother's wombs ... is it that big of a stretch to think that He could order it and use it so that the books He wanted preserved would be?

hey phantom, the book of jasher is also talked about in the bible.
book of Joshua chap 13 "is not this written in the book of jasher?"
2 samual verse/chap 18 "behold, it is written in the book of jasher.."
yeh its a pretty good book. also, the catholic bible has the jewish apocrypha added to it. like macabbees and all those other ones, theres 12 i beleive. but there the same.

If we are going to assume an omniscient, omnipotent Creator God, who has formed everything we see, including us in our mother's wombs ... is it that big of a stretch to think that He could order it and use it so that the books He wanted preserved would be?

Amen

Berean Todd said:

I agree with you here about almost all of the books that people say 'should' be in the Bible...but what about the books that are quoted (i.e. Enoch and/or Jasher)?

Back