"Retro" TF2 server?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
If ToJ were to rent a second TF2 server and make it "retro," how would you want it set up?

I'm thinking no hats, no weapons added after the Engineer update, no random crits, and no random spread.

Thoughts?

/me dons flameproof suit

I'm against no random spread. Scouts doing full damage thanks to 3x3 perfect projectiles? >_>

Doesn't sound very fun. I'm already against the "no random crits" rule because I think random crits make the game more even for those people who aren't super good at it.
All the extra weapons allow people to shape the characters to fit their style of play instead of just forcing them to get good at playing a certain way. And why allow everything up to the engy update. If you're gonna go vanilla why not pure vanilla? No updates at all.

Personally, if this was a competition server it would make sense. But since it's supposed to be a fun, noncompetitive place to play, I think it's a bad idea.

No spread? There's already sniper only maps for that.

Off the top of my head...

No hat sets.

No Phlogistinator: At least until Valve has the common sense to add an icon and/or louder noise indicating when the effect is active. Whether you think it's op or not the actual crit glow is not easily seen by itself. It's far too easy to run into a pyro with it already active. (Actually most of the pyro additions Valve adds seem to be geared to make W+m1 pyros easier and easier to play. I'd like some more skill rewarding items Valve -_-)

I'm not really for a second server until we can get the first filled up more consistently, we have Tuesdays and nothing the rest of the time.

Slightly off topic random thought: I noticed a thread about getting a second web domain for toj and noticed toj.com was being sold. It is more than likely being sold for far and beyond what we would have to spend but if there is extra money it might be worth looking into rather than an extra server.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be apposed to a Pure Vanilla night but not a whole server set up for it.

All the way back before the updates even started. Stock everything.

If we were going to do a second server, I'd personally like to set it up WITH random crits and see how that effects the traffic we get. CC server is always full. It would be nice to be able to play in our own server with people present.

I wouldn't be apposed to a Pure Vanilla night but not a whole server set up for it.

All the way back before the updates even started. Stock everything.

If we were going to do a second server, I'd personally like to set it up WITH random crits and see how that effects the traffic we get. CC server is always full. It would be nice to be able to play in our own server with people present.

One of the things I'd like to do (but have never got around to doing XD) is see if I can set up an entirely different server.cfg which admins could exec. It could allow vanilla type stuff and even the dreaded random crits, just not on days I am playing XD. Should be possible we ran alternate configs back in our short lived competition days...

/considers going heavy consistently to wean Wolfman of his love O' random crits :p . There was this one multi-hour 2fort match I worked up to a ginormous score and I was a crit dispenser. It wasn't pretty XD.

Last edited:
Many regulars of the fish know my opinion on unlocks... and alot of you guys also =p

Would LOVE a vanilla christian server im ok with crits and spread just please remove those weapons that make me want to throw my computer out the window Q_Q

/considers going heavy consistently to wean Wolfman of his love O' random crits :p . There was this one multi-hour 2fort match I worked up to a ginormous score and I was a crit dispenser. It wasn't pretty XD.

Feel free. My opinion is well know. One person who knows how to game the random crits does much less damage than the good a bunch of random crits do for people who don't have uber skills.

I'd rather help a bunch of unskilled players feel like they at least have a chance and deal with one or two people who might be able to build up a bunch of random crits over the other choice of having everything even and loosing a bunch of unskilled players because they feel they can't compete even tho one or two people are made less deadly.

But we've been over this several times already and I ain't scart of you!

Next thing ya know, you'll be turning invisible and running across the map to wait by spawn and stab me in the face, killing me instantly. Forcing me to go pyro and jingle.

Back