Rift!

Wont let me edit my post so:

The main reason I call it a pvp guild is just the same reason people call their guilds pve. I will be setting up pvp raids (world wise) not just the regular bg type random groups. When a guild is more based on pve it is harder to get this type of orginization as you have to make sure you do not interfere with raid schedules so we will have a pvp schedule with events as well as have a pve schedule but the pvp schedule will be main focus rather than pve schedule.

Not sure if i offended your somehow or what is up but make your guild. All I did was saw a bunch of posts in this thread wanting pvp server saw you wanted pve and said i was making a pvp guild on pvp server. Ewok and I talked about it for awhile but I am not forcing anyone to join mine or dissuading them to join yours.

I do think you are not being very open to ideas with the if you plan on making a pve guild leave that to us line but here no there. I still got love for ya!

No offense (often I sound more harsh than I mean), I was just confused...

Okay...so...overview...you are making a family friendly PvP server guild...got cha!

Ryooshi is making a Christian guild on a PvE server...okay...

So...I think I have everything figured out now...hehe...

Sorry if I came off mean...I was just confused and stressed about other things while trying to figure out what was going on...lol...

/throws rock at Keero for making such a bad suggestion
/thinks to himself that on RP servers no one really RPS... especially WoW RP servers...
/gets mad at himself for even thinking about RP servers...
/gets mad because he lost The Game...

In other news.... THE NEXT BETA IS ALMOST UPON US!

Last edited:
hahah yes! You want like ranger/marksman/assassin
I...think I chose Assassin for my second soul. Do characters get wiped between phases? If so, it won't matter what I chose anyway.

I still fondly remember my Kobold Shadowblade in Dark Age of Camelot. I rolled the character during beta and remember waiting an extra day or two until Mythic added Shadowblade trainers to the game so I could choose that class. I also remember running Nisse's Lair like...10 times.

Good times, good times.

(Side note: Midgard ftw.)

Tek you in on the beta this Friday? You gots to check it.
Planning on it. Of course, I nearly missed the last beta event, so I make no promises.

Maybe we can discuss a few different possibilities.

A Guardian PvE guild and a Defiant PvP guild?
Tribe of Judah's original plan was to start one guild per faction in Star Wars: The Old Republic, so there's precedent for pre-release plans for two guilds.

Of course, the anticipated player base for SW: TOR should be more than sufficient to support two Christian guilds on day one (when the game is released). I don't know if Rift will have sufficient numbers to do the same.

On a related note, our SW:TOR Galactic Republic guild leader went MIA months ago, so now we're only preparing a Sith Empire guild.

I'm not opposed to starting two guilds, one for PvP and one for PvE, but there's less motivation if both guilds are planning to select the same faction.

And while Trion seems to be doing a far better job with Rift than Square-Enix did with FFXIV (which was a disaster, even by MMO launch standards) or Cryptic did with Star Trek Online or Champions Online, there's the possibility that the player numbers will drop like a rock 3-6 months after launch. It takes time and effort to make new Tribe of Judah chapters and guilds and the pattern of "flavor of the week" MMOs is starting to wear.

I had talked about waiting to make a guild "official" only if it's still operational 3 months after a game's release, but I think that Rift has gathered enough good press to retain most of its early adopters for 3-6 months to invest the effort.

As for PvP vs. PvE, I'm conflicted. For me, the debate boils down to prior examples.

The argument FOR PvP: Dark Age of Camelot. But I doubt PvP will be as fantastic as RvR in DAoC.

The argument AGAINST PvP: Stranglethorn Vale. But I doubt PvP will be as bad as it is in WoW.

Or maybe it would be best for unified purposes to all be on one server and one faction whether it be a PvP or a PvE server.
Maybe, maybe not. It's difficult to say with such limited information.

We could certainly have a 2 guilds on 2 servers with different factions and pve/p rulesets. We could still share ToJ forums and Vent/TS
Indeed.

I would rather see just one guild personally as not to divide the few Christians that will be interested. But would have to see if a joint venture could be agreed on and how flexible people are with the ruleset.
Then again, it's not uncommon for there to be multiple Christian gamers in popular MMOs.

Ultimately, if two groups of ToJ members each want to start a Rift guild, I'll supply both with the resources to do so. Setting up the framework (forums, web site, access rights, etc.) for two guilds doesn't take much more work than setting up for one guild.

I also feel compelled to mention that I strongly prefer Tribe of Judah staff members to occupy a maximum of two staff positions and only one leadership (e.g. Guild Leader, Chapter Leader) position. XionTawa already leads our Minecraft chapter and serves as Tribe of Judah's Minecraft Server Operator. Adding guild leadership duties on top of existing responsibilities is a recipe for burnout.

Personally, I cant envsion ever playing on a PvE server for any game, ever. For me, it reduces the fun factor to a degree I cant even express.
ewoks, you've played DAoC, haven't you? :)

Getting ganked by higher level bored gamers does stink but i will take that every now and then for the RUSH that comes when you get in a good group and go to town in open PvP.
Open PvP is fun, but let's not downplay how ganking effectively ruins questing in Stranglethorn Vale (or at least DID, pre-Burning Crusade).

I don't know how Rift's PvP system will work, but after questing in STV on Stonemaul (a PvP server), I can attest that some players--especially players with very limited gaming time--have good reason to prefer PvE over PvP servers, at least in most MMOs.

I neglected to include a very important bit of information in my previous post:

New Tribe of Judah guilds are not allowed to create or use a "sponsorship program" (where non-members, and thus non-Christians, can join the guild with limited privileges, such as no eligibility for leadership or officer positions, if sponsored by a ToJ member in good standing) until 4-6 months (I believe I've said 6 months previously) AFTER the guild is established. The rule may seem restrictive, especially when it comes to initial recruiting, but the idea is to make certain that the establishing members all share a common faith. Conflict within a MMO guild is inevitable and a common faith is essential to working through those issues.

Put another way: Only Tribe of Judah members will be allowed to join an official Tribe of Judah guild for 4-6 months after it is established. Even after that time period, I reserve the right to deny the introduction of a "sponsorship program;" it's not guaranteed.

If I remember correctly, Redeemed WoW is the only ToJ guild with a "sponsorship program" and even there it is used very infrequently, so the restriction isn't nearly as so severe as it may sound.

While providing a family-friendly environment is an important goal for Tribe of Judah and its chapters and its guilds, I recognize non-Christian guilds can do the same (provide family-friend environments). What makes ToJ different is that its members all share a common faith. It's not about being "good, moral" people; it's about what Christ did for us. We are, as ever, Christians first and gamers after.

Sounds good to me tek. Personally from a pvp aspect a guardian pvp guild makes more sense as pve does not depend on faction as much as pvp does. Ques for pvp guilds are generally way shorter for a good aligned guild as everyone wants to be a bad guy normally.

XionTawa already leads our Minecraft chapter and serves as Tribe of Judah's Minecraft Server Operator. Adding guild leadership duties on top of existing responsibilities is a recipe for burnout

I do not plan on leading this Guild, Ryooshi is the likely candidate...however he is still undecided... And I don't think it will be a chapter of the ToJ...since Ryooshi mainly comes from the Narrow Path WoW guild...but rather have the guild just a member of the CGA...

Well this is shaping up to be an interesting thing :)

Does ryooooooooooooooooooooshiiiii plan on playing teh good guyz or teh bad guyz?

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd does he play horde or alliance on WoW? If he plays horde i gotta find him as i'm in the horde TNP :)

EDIT: And wait a second.... is our good friend Tek getting involved in this game?

I dunno if i will... but i'm pumped for this next beta... this game looks GOOD :)

I have always wanted to start an MMO right when it came out and play it to the end. Never been able to do it though >.>

Last edited:
www.riftjunkies.com
fantastic site with a blue tracker (dev posts), boss videos (already!) and a combat log parser (aka damage meters)
Their guide section is growing daily as well.

Last edited:
One thing I would like to bring up if we do roll on a PvP server, is that high lvl players ganking in lower lvl areas won't be as rampant as it would be 1-2+ years from retail release. Since we would be starting at or near retail, we have a bit of cushion in that regard. It's also quite fun to be able to answer a call for help and return the sentiments.

Yeah good point, we will have time to work on our protection squad before there are any high lvl griefers around.

Presently, the lower level area on PvP beta servers are default not-PvP flagged while area effect accidentally attacking an enemy faction player or helping/buffing/healing an ally PvP-flagged presently will flag someone for PvP. The flagging while in the lower level area lasts 5 minutes. The 20+ area on PvP beta servers autoflag to PvP presently.

so you are safe under 20 even on a pvp server for the most part. Of course this is not published by the devs yet so it is subject to change after beta.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me tek. Personally from a pvp aspect a guardian pvp guild makes more sense as pve does not depend on faction as much as pvp does. Ques for pvp guilds are generally way shorter for a good aligned guild as everyone wants to be a bad guy normally.
Roger that.

I did receive your PM, by the way. I'll try to answer within the next day or so. (Snow day means working on the house to prepare for baby.)

I do not plan on leading this Guild, Ryooshi is the likely candidate...however he is still undecided... And I don't think it will be a chapter of the ToJ...since Ryooshi mainly comes from the Narrow Path WoW guild...but rather have the guild just a member of the CGA...
Okay, that works, too.

Ryoshi: If you decide to form the guild as part of an organization other than Tribe of Judah or as an independent guild, let me know and we can discuss the process for a guild or gaming group joining the Christian Gamers Alliance. If you decide you want to start a Rift guild under the Tribe of Judah banner, let me know that, too.

EDIT: And wait a second.... is our good friend Tek getting involved in this game?
For beta, yes. For retail and after, no. Not any time soon, anyway. I don't play on playing any pay-to-play MMO long-term since I already play so many other games regularly. I also have a backlog of single-player games thanks to Black Friday sales, so my gaming time is claimed for a while.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd does he play horde or alliance on WoW? If he plays horde i gotta find him as i'm in the horde TNP :)

Horde. :) I also played Alliance for about two years. Ryooshi is my main- Orc Hunter. But I retired from the game mid-January after getting burntout for the last time, and not really interested in the direction Blizzard's taking the game. It just feels like it's lost it's magic to me.

Ryoshi: If you decide to form the guild as part of an organization other than Tribe of Judah or as an independent guild, let me know and we can discuss the process for a guild or gaming group joining the Christian Gamers Alliance. If you decide you want to start a Rift guild under the Tribe of Judah banner, let me know that, too.

Thanks, Tek! So far, talks have been towards our guild allowing any non-Christians to join from the start. I know ToJ asks that professing your faith be a requirement before joining, and I want to respect ToJ's wishes in that regard. I completely understand the reasoning behind it, and have no problems with it either. :) My short ToJ membership (former FFXIV chapter, minus the state of the game) has been great so far. I'll send you a PM next chance I get (headed out the door now), and see about the details of being allied/a part of CGA.

Someone should make a RP guild!

/gets rocks thrown at him

/throws rock LOL

Dev Post: PVE/PVP Overlap in Beta

Hi, everyone.
One of the things that got a lot of testing during the most recent beta was the amount of PvP and PvE overlap that people would be experiencing on both PvP and PvE servers. If you played through Scarlet Gorge, you know that’s a great place to see how social dynamics play out.
We like the idea of PvE people being able to progress as they expect, and we also like the idea of PvP objectives for those who choose to take part.
Fortunately, both of those activities have a place in Rift
For PvE content: We’ll be implementing some changes to PvE quest areas to lower the likelihood of griefing via blocking the opposing side’s PvE progression.
• Wardstones in Quest Camps aren’t supposed to be attackable targets, or provide rewards for defeating them. The rewards on those were a bug that’s been addressed. Those are part of the PvE land control game of rifts and invasions.
• Guard AI behavior was a little less smart than it should have been. We’re improving it such that guards behave much more like an NPC bearing that name would be expected to.
• Guards in PvE areas will prove to be considerably more challenging vs. player targets. They still provide a similar challenge to PvE invasions, but now will be much harder in PvP. We’ll be tuning this over time. Expect to see some first balance out during the next beta.
• The Porticulum Masters in particular have enlisted the help of the Portal Defense Force. When they’re attacked in PvP, you can expect them to put out a call for help over the planar Porticulum network.
For PvP gameplay:
• Expect additional PvP takeover areas across Telara. There are differently-themed, cool-looking wardstones clearly displayed as PvP targets, down to the faction inscriptions on the side. You can see examples of these PvP objectives in Scarlet Gorge.
• To help out with the spawn camping that was occurring in the shared world, Peace of the Grave (the buff granted when choosing to respawn in a graveyard) will now protect you from PvP attacks for 30 seconds, or until you take your first offensive action.
We do enjoy being able to provide gameplay for people who are fans of both types of activities.
At the places where those interests cross over into griefing in one direction or the other, please do expect us to continue tuning to ensure that the griefing potential is kept to a minimum.
- The RIFT Development Team

Back