"sigh" where is the love for the wii???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logos

I know it doesn't have all the MULTI this or that, or all the FANCY graphics or die hard games like the others, but it does have nostalgic factor and good family fun...but alas the forums remain disserted...."watches a tumble weed roll across the forum floor" WHERE IS THE LOVE?????

My Wii is usually unplayed, not really into the Wii's catalogue compared to that of PC/PS3. ('Cept for the AAA titles like Metroid Prime Trilogy, NSMBWii or Resident Evil 4...)

Personally I am beginning to hate my Wii...constant connection issue with the controllers is my biggest annoyance...on top of that there is only like 3 games I would/do play...

I play fighting games and JRPGs. The fighting games I like most, barring TvC are not on the Wii. Overall, there is a lack of JRPGs on the Wii, too. I use it for Virtual Console with the occasional WiiWare more than retail games these days. That's just the way things have gone. I'm still hype for the new Zelda.

I <3 my Wii. I soft-modded my Wii a long while ago (late 2008, I think--after my warranty ran out) and run my games off an external hard drive to extend the life of the console. I recently bought Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the first thing I did was dump the disc to the external drive. Been playing a stage or two when I can and loving it so far!

I have about 15 or 16 Wii games now, but few of them have an online multiplayer component. I'm willing to play Mario Kart Wii or Super Smash Bros. Brawl (almost typed Crawl, then realized that would make a funny joke since the game lags like mad for me online) with other ToJ members. I just need advance notice because of Nintendo's...less-than-ideal online system.

If I was working right now (I bought SMG2 with gift money), I'd probably buy a copy of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and try to play that against other ToJ members.

I think if we're going to bring Wii players together, Mario Kart Wii might be our best option. I believe it's most commonly owned Wii game with online multiplayer among ToJ members.

But there's plenty of love for the Wii in my home. I just tend to play single-player or local (multiple controllers, one console and one TV) multiplayer; nearly all my online gaming is on my computer (Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and, soon, StarCraft II).

Nintendo's strength simply isn't in online multiplayer and that's fine. The Wii library is full of fantastic single-player and local multiplayer games. Maybe we should start finding where other members live and hold Wii parties at people's houses. :D

Hey Tek how do you soft modd the discs over to a hard drive??? Is the external hard drive hooked up to your wii??

Hey Tek how do you soft modd the discs over to a hard drive???
It's a delicate (though not necessarily difficult) process and one better explained by the experts (among whose ranks I do not claim a place).

In other words: You should be able to find a good softmod guide to get you onto System Menu 4.2 (if you're not already) and install homebrew.

If you installed the recent update, well, you may have to wait a day or two while the homebrew programmers find a workaround.

Is the external hard drive hooked up to your wii??
Yes, it is. I have a Western Digital 160GB external hard drive hooked up to my Wii at all times. I use WiiFlow to load games from the USB drive.

Nintendo's strength simply isn't in online multiplayer and that's fine. The Wii library is full of fantastic single-player and local multiplayer games. Maybe we should start finding where other members live and hold Wii parties at people's houses. :D
^Like.

Honestly, I think that lack of online strengths is why there are a few of us who love the Wii but the Wii section of the forum/ToJ chapter isn't bustling with posts. I haven't been here long enough to know if that's wholly accurate, but it seems a reasonable enough speculation.

Logos. I just softmodded my Wii in the last two weeks, so hit me with a PM if you want me to hook you up with what I did.

Er... wait. I'm leaving for two weeks in Florida, and I won't be online in that time, so the PM route probably won't work if you're wanting to jump on this right away. The guide I followed, which was really easy to do, can be found on WiiBrew.

Just don't update to System Update 4.3 if you haven't already. I don't know if the modding community has adjusted for 4.3 yet, but I got running with 4.2 just fine.

^Like.

Honestly, I think that lack of online strengths is why there are a few of us who love the Wii but the Wii section of the forum/ToJ chapter isn't bustling with posts. I haven't been here long enough to know if that's wholly accurate, but it seems a reasonable enough speculation.

Logos. I just softmodded my Wii in the last two weeks, so hit me with a PM if you want me to hook you up with what I did.

Er... wait. I'm leaving for two weeks in Florida, and I won't be online in that time, so the PM route probably won't work if you're wanting to jump on this right away. The guide I followed, which was really easy to do, can be found on WiiBrew.

Just don't update to System Update 4.3 if you haven't already. I don't know if the modding community has adjusted for 4.3 yet, but I got running with 4.2 just fine.

okay so it is relatively safe? My wife would kill me if I ruined the wii... :)

I did the TwilightHack back in the day, and I was slightly worried about it... but the mod went off without a hitch. The BannerBomb method that I linked you to was far less scary to me, and it worked, and continues to work, perfectly.

I give my "you do this at your own risk" comment, but I wouldn't be too worried about the mod. It's easy and can be done in like... ten minutes. Read through that article and make your judgment afterward. It's really not that scary.

My advice: If your Wii is out of warranty, go for it. Just be sure to install bootmii and created a NAND backup first.

If your Wii is still under warranty, the call is yours. I won't advise you one way or another.

I was using 4.2 when I TRIED to softmod my Wii...but supposedly 4.2 is the HARDEST to softmod if it even works... I spend hours a day and never got it past the homebrew part...

You cannot brick your Wii, since you can always restore it, but when I did screw up softmoding process I had to restore my Wii and lost all save games that I could not transfer to an SD which unfortunently were quite a few...

I was using 4.2 when I TRIED to softmod my Wii...but supposedly 4.2 is the HARDEST to softmod if it even works... I spend hours a day and never got it past the homebrew part...
Bummer. :(

Any specific problem you ran into?

You cannot brick your Wii, since you can always restore it, but when I did screw up softmoding process I had to restore my Wii and lost all save games that I could not transfer to an SD which unfortunently were quite a few...
Priiloader has a hack where you can copy locked save files to an SD card from the Wii Data Management menu. It sounds like you weren't able to get that far, though. :(

Bummer. :(

Any specific problem you ran into?

Priiloader has a hack where you can copy locked save files to an SD card from the Wii Data Management menu. It sounds like you weren't able to get that far, though. :(

After installing homebrew there was something you had to do to the OS or something like iOS or something and it would always error out... I read up on it and supposedly in 4.2 they put in a block for whatever that thing was...so some people were working on a work around for it, but last I checked there wasn't one, and on EVERY softmod website either in their FAQ or on their forums it said..."Here is how to softmod your Wii, (however, if you have 4.2, don't bother)"... >.< I have one of the first (or something like that) generation Wii's so I HAD to update to 4.2 to get certain games to work...the early Wii's would not play some newer games unless you have 4.2...however, that might be with all Wii's, but from what I read it was only the first and/or second wave of Wii's...

Last edited:
After installing homebrew there was something you had to do to the OS or something like iOS or something and it would always error out... I read up on it and supposedly in 4.2 they put in a block for whatever that thing was...so some people were working on a work around for it, but last I checked there wasn't one, and on EVERY softmod website either in their FAQ or on their forums it said..."Here is how to softmod your Wii, (however, if you have 4.2, don't bother)"... >.< I have one of the first (or something like that) generation Wii's so I HAD to update to 4.2 to get certain games to work...the early Wii's would not play some newer games unless you have 4.2...however, that might be with all Wii's, but from what I read it was only the first and/or second wave of Wii's...
/me scratches head

Any guide that says you can't softmod a Wii with 4.2 installed is out of date. You may need to use a different method, but it's possible; I'm running System Menu 4.2 (haven't upgraded to 4.3 yet) and have no issues running Homebrew Channel and WiiFlow.

Sounds like you may need to download IOS files using NUS Downloader and install them using WAD Manager.

Oh, and no game requires the new System Menu. Even newer games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 can be played on older System Menu versions like 3.2; you just need to install required IOS files and disable disc updates to launch the game.

I don't want to spend too much more time discussing homebrew, though. Regardless of how awesome homebrew is and how much longer my Wii will last now that I load my games from an external hard drive instead of from disc, softmodding a system definitely represents a legal gray area. I personally don't have any issue with it, but I don't want to create a stumbling block for others.

/me scratches head

Any guide that says you can't softmod a Wii with 4.2 installed is out of date. You may need to use a different method, but it's possible; I'm running System Menu 4.2 (haven't upgraded to 4.3 yet) and have no issues running Homebrew Channel and WiiFlow.

I am only using the bookmarks I marked back a while ago when I tried it...

Sounds like you may need to download IOS files using NUS Downloader and install them using WAD Manager.

This is what I was doing... :( Also, on one site I was on they said it is harder to do it on a certain version of the Wii (as in hardware), and the "lot" of serial numbers they claimed was harder listed mine...not sure if this is true, but I doubt it is...

Oh, and no game requires the new System Menu. Even newer games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 can be played on older System Menu versions like 3.2; you just need to install required IOS files and disable disc updates to launch the game.

Well...when SSBB came out, my Wii told me in a message something to this affect: "In order to play this game your Wii needs a system update, only older Wii's need this update to run the game, if after updating you still cannot run the game, you will need to send your Wii in to Nintendo for a replacement Wii..." A friend of mine who was in line with me and got his Wii at the same time could never get SSBB to work even after the update and had to get his replaced...they told him that the first and second "generation" Wii's had a chance not to be able to read some new games and needed replaced, but a certain update fixed it on some of them... Yeah, I know that sounds odd, and a bit untrue...but it is was happened... :confused:

I don't want to spend too much more time discussing homebrew, though. Regardless of how awesome homebrew is and how much longer my Wii will last now that I load my games from an external hard drive instead of from disc, softmodding a system definitely represents a legal gray area. I personally don't have any issue with it, but I don't want to create a stumbling block for others.

Another bold-ed post due to my laziness...

Last edited:
Well at least the forums are getting some love. :)

Just overall I am disappointed with my Wii...now when I first got it I had like 6 RL friends...and it was fun...now that I have 1 RL friend, and he is moving away...my wife and I just do not enjoy it alone...and our kids are too young to play it yet...I guess once they get older it will be a bit better...Time will tell...

Well, depends on how young the kids are. My 3 year old love Super Mario Bros Wii and she can plan any of the boards on her own, very well actually. In fact she can beat the first entire world on her own with no trouble. She has all the one up spots and extras memorized. LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back