So, what, exactly, is Hell?

Dark Virtue said:
If heaven is a place where I will sit on a cloud all day strumming a harp, I think I'll pass.

Even if the alternative is watching Brad Lidge pitch in games two and four of the 2005 World Series for the rest of eternity?

Marcylene said:
We are on a downhill slide here.
Benny Hinn
Madeline Murray O'Hare
and now
Warner Brothers!

If you have a better definition of Heaven, then I'm all ears.

The truth is, you don't, so I wouldn't be too quick to discount the warner brothers version.

Dark Virtue said:
If you have a better definition of Heaven, then I'm all ears.
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. II Corinthians 5:8 The Bible gives us several glimpses of Heaven! Being with the LORD is the best one!
The truth is, you don't, so I wouldn't be too quick to discount the warner brothers version.
Truthfully, the Bible says that Jesus goes to prepare a place for us. Therefore, I cannot help but think that if it is a special place for each of us, there will be things we love! Personally, I have always wanted to learn to play the harp and I bet a cloud is one of the most comfortable places to sit! Not to mention that cloud travel must be a truly awesome way to tour Heaven!

Marcylene said:
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. II Corinthians 5:8 The Bible gives us several glimpses of Heaven! Being with the LORD is the best one!

Being with the Lord...doing WHAT?

As Mark Twain said, people can barely get through a sermon on Sunday as it is, and your version of heaven is a constant 24/7 sermon for all of eternity?

Truthfully, the Bible says that Jesus goes to prepare a place for us. Therefore, I cannot help but think that if it is a special place for each of us, there will be things we love! Personally, I have always wanted to learn to play the harp and I bet a cloud is one of the most comfortable places to sit! Not to mention that cloud travel must be a truly awesome way to tour Heaven!

Isn't Christ going to rule ON EARTH when he returns? There isn't going to be a place in the sky somewhere.

And what about those who have died, where are they? Sleeping? Waiting?

I honestly don't think the Christians can really answer this question. Although I would say that ever since the beginning of humanity, there was ALWAYS some conception of the "paradise"; a life after death that's better. According to Christian doctrines, that's probably an oral tradition starting with Adam and Eve talking to Seth about Eden...

And in the Christian perspective, being with God is good, so heaven would be full of that. What irritates me is what irritates you, DV. The idea of an eternal sermon is rather non-heavenly. I hate it how Christians say heaven is going to be like that...it automatically turns people off. They too often dont really step into the non-Christian perspective and speak on THOSE terms...

Where God's gonna rule exactly? Well, probably not on earth since Revelation says earth is gonna be a smoking crater after the end times...but I toy with the idea that God's heaven is comparable to a higher dimension that cannot be accessed or imagined by 3-d humans...that's a nice place for a God to rule, wouldn't u think?

DV, it all falls back to whether you believe God is who He says He is. If you believe that God is omnimax, and He says that Heaven is good, and hell is bad, then you trust Him.

The real issue isn't trying to wrap our minds around what Heaven or Hell are or aren't. The real issue is whether or not you trust God enough to believe in His sovereignty.

Azzie said:
I honestly don't think the Christians can really answer this question. Although I would say that ever since the beginning of humanity, there was ALWAYS some conception of the "paradise"; a life after death that's better. According to Christian doctrines, that's probably an oral tradition starting with Adam and Eve talking to Seth about Eden...

And in the Christian perspective, being with God is good, so heaven would be full of that. What irritates me is what irritates you, DV. The idea of an eternal sermon is rather non-heavenly. I hate it how Christians say heaven is going to be like that...it automatically turns people off. They too often dont really step into the non-Christian perspective and speak on THOSE terms...

Where God's gonna rule exactly? Well, probably not on earth since Revelation says earth is gonna be a smoking crater after the end times...but I toy with the idea that God's heaven is comparable to a higher dimension that cannot be accessed or imagined by 3-d humans...that's a nice place for a God to rule, wouldn't u think?

NOT on Earth? Isn't that what Revelations says?

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
DV, it all falls back to whether you believe God is who He says He is. If you believe that God is omnimax, and He says that Heaven is good, and hell is bad, then you trust Him.

The real issue isn't trying to wrap our minds around what Heaven or Hell are or aren't. The real issue is whether or not you trust God enough to believe in His sovereignty.

Actually the real issue is whether or not one has enough reason and evidence to believe in God's existence :)

Hell bad, Heaven good. Got it!

"NOT on Earth? Isn't that what Revelations says?"

...oops. You're right. *innocent grin* :D
Well, He certainly COULD rule on Earth and just fix every problem around or something like that...but I really dont know. I just play with theories. :)

Dark Virtue said:
Actually the real issue is whether or not one has enough reason and evidence to believe in God's existence :)

Suppose for a moment that you had enough evidence-- say, for example, God Himself met you face to face. Would you be questioning the morality of hell then?

If one believes in God then one would have to accept the possibility of him being omnipotent and omniscient, wouldn't one?

If he REALLY is omniscient then I suppose he would have to have a pretty good reason for Hell. Then again if he's omniscient he should know the right words to explain it to me...

After all, he wouldn't be fit to judge the rightness of my actions without that knowledge, so how am I supposed to judge the rightness of his?

Suppose for a moment that you had enough evidence-- say, for example, God Himself met you face to face. Would you be questioning the morality of hell then?

Yes I would, but with a totally different perspective.

Why would I stop using critical, logical thought processes in light of evidence of God? My brain wouldn't stop working.

Are you telling me there isn't a moral question regarding the torture of those in hell for all of eternity? How do you reconcile that with an omnibenevolent deity? I wouldn't mind asking God that myself.

Dark Virtue said:
Yes I would, but with a totally different perspective.

Why would I stop using critical, logical thought processes in light of evidence of God? My brain wouldn't stop working.

Are you telling me there isn't a moral question regarding the torture of those in hell for all of eternity? How do you reconcile that with an omnibenevolent deity? I wouldn't mind asking God that myself.

I was just curious, because I ask that same question myself. What it boils down to then, is not whether you have the evidence, but whether you trust that God has it all worked out. Thanks for proving my point! ;)

Don't they say that "Hell is the impossibility of reason, Grandma"?

Cookie if you get the quote.

I was just curious, because I ask that same question myself. What it boils down to then, is not whether you have the evidence, but whether you trust that God has it all worked out. Thanks for proving my point! ;)

Uh, that's a logical fallacy.

How can I trust that God has it all worked out when I don't have enough evidence to believe in him in the first place?

Back