Spiritual Friendships

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
I don't know if Lion wants me to post this yet or not, but if he doesn't he can just delete it if he likes.

Again I would like to say thanks to everyone who participated - this lesson was made with all of you in mind.

Here goes.

Jesus more than a Lord; a friend.
Jesus is much, much more than our Lord; he is our good friend.  And, like a good friend, will always be strong for us and will help us when we are struggling.  Of course, we must understand some struggles are just a test of faith, and so we must be sure to pass them!  We also must understand that some of the struggles we will face in life are simply to teach us endurance, and we must turn them into positive elements and not let them get us down – be strong and humble and do not get upset at life’s challenges.  The reason I say that Jesus is a great friend and Lord to us is because he gives us the attention and concern a friend can offer, and has the authority of a Lord over his own land.
     A Spiritual friendship
Next I would like to talk about the spiritual relationships you have amongst your friends, and Jesus Christ.  You see, some of you will have special friendships with people that go beyond our physical bodies.  I believe that our spirits also communicate and have friendships with each other.  I believe this is why you get along better with some people than others and also why you naturally like people you haven’t even met yet or don’t really know, but rather someone you just saw at the bank, the store, across the street, or doing a familiar hobby that you like doing such as riding bikes, paint-balling,  …or playing Warcraft.  I think that the reason someone waved at you earlier this week during school, church, whenever and wherever is because their spiritual self likes you - and so you should take joy in that, and wave back!  Some of you have grown to be my good friends, and I do believe that we have a certain relationship that I can only describe as phenomenal and spiritual.
    Spirits – Who has them, what are they, and how do they work?
Thirdly, I would like to discuss who has spirits, what they are, and how they impact our lives and more importantly those around us.  The bible says to test the spirits of men to see whether they are good or evil.  A good spirit, in this verse, I believe, does not necessarily mean a man is Christian, but instead that he has a natural inclination to do good to others.  Have you ever met a friend who is not an evil person, but who is not a Christian either?  I believe that friend has a “good” spirit.  Of course, no good spirit should be condemned or forgotten, so urge and lead them to follow Christ.  We must be “a light to the world” (Matt 5:14) so let your friends look at you and see that light, and then bring out the light and good in them.  Now for my second question - what are our spirits?  I believe that everyone is born with a spirit, whether they are holy, wicked, or otherwise unknowing of the teachings of Christ.  These spirits reflect our attitudes and personalities; our character (in fact, if you look up any of these words in a thesaurus it should list a spirit as a synonym).  Our spirit is the very essence of who we are, and is usually the purist example of us.  And now for the final question, how do spirits work?  Firstly we must understand that the Spirit of God is always at work in our lives and in those around us.  When we become a Christian (and I believe even before then) the Holy Spirit becomes interwoven in our lives so that we are now part of a larger ‘community’ of friends and loved ones.  One of the coolest things I find in a spiritual relationship is the ability to fellowship with those friends; a spiritual friendship is the strongest bond you can have between yourself and another.  And, of course, our spirit does not come without strengths and benefits: I feel that one advantage believers have over non-believers is that of understanding, and in fact Job 32:8 says this: “But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that gives him (that’s us!) understanding.”  A fruitful spirit will exhibit “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” (Galatians 5:22).  Galatians 5:24 and 25 goes on to say that “those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.  Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.”

I've been thinking about this since the night of the study, and searching the scripture on it. Understand that I'm not being argumentative and that I love you (all). Also, though, I believe that part of sharpening each other as iron sharpens iron requires discourse and questioning one another, to allow for clarification and stretching of ourselves and our (admittedly limited) understanding.
The closest thing I could find about testing spirits was in 1 John 4.1-3, which says to test spirits (though not directly of man, as in souls, but whether they are motivated by the Holy Spirit - which I think we can agree is not the spirit of a man - or by an evil spirit) to determine whether they are from God or if they are false. It also goes on to say that any spirit that acknowledges that JChrist has come in the flesh is of God, and all others are the spirit of the antichrist (read evil). There is no "good" spirit in man, apart from the Holy Spirit.
Also, although one may seem to have the outward appearance of a natural inclination, make no mistake - not a person, apart from one who knows Christ has nay inclination but sin. This is clearly pronounced in many places throughout the Bible. Certainly, one could describe some people as "nice folk," or what-have-you, I'm not saying everyone only seeks to kill and hurt others. Inclination, however, is much more internal than man can perceive, for it lies in the heart, which Jeremiah points out is deceitful above all things. Although a person may appear to have good intentions, or a natural inclination towards good, none are good but the Father, and apart from the Father, one cannot be good. His gaze penetrates the very marrow and fiber of our being. He sees into the deepest places of our hearts, and it is here that our true motivations lie. When that place is occupied by anything - anything - aside from the Holy Spirit, it is because the owner of this heart does not have faith, and does not have a relationship with God. God tells us in the Bible that anything not done in faith is sin, and that before we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, we are controlled by our sinful nature.
Now, I'm not saying that there aren't polite people out there, but certainly apart from one who knows Christ, there are no good people. He is the vine, we are the branches. It is not a man's "fruitful spirit" that exhibits the fruit mentioned in Gal. 5.22. Rather, it is the fruit of the Holy Spirit alive and active in the life of a believer that produces this fruit. Anyone that does not abide in Christ (the vine) cannot produce this fruit, and any vine that does not produce this fruit will be cut off.
I hope that you (Bowser) don't feel like I'm discrediting you, or even saying that your message was bad. Quite the contrary, it was quite good. Though it may seem that I found much to question, it is really a small portion of your message, it just took a lot of text to say what I needed to say
smile.gif

All of the rest of it, I felt, was right on. I believe we do have special connections with some people that we don't have with others, and that it can only be explained in the realm of the spiritual. If any of the above seemed harsh, I give my full, deepest, most sincere apologies. Know that it is only the coldness of the typed word, and not a lack of love for you. I count myself most fortunate to have found such a group of believers who seek to grow stronger with one another and share in fellowship while setting an example for others who share in that fellowship and are not believers. I love all you guys, and I pray that ToJ will be an awesome tool for the Kingdom, and that there will be a unity of spirit that overcomes the trivial differences any of us may have.

Peace and God bless,
James (EspressoMachine)

I think this move is a sign that we need to hear more from Mr. Bowser!! That was good preaching! God is so good! I really needed to hear this today. In addition, I love the Spiritual friendship part. It makes sense. I feel so connected to you guys, now I know why! Well, and you're just downright lovable, if the truth be known; how could anyone not just love ya' to pieces? :)

Last edited:
Back