Steam Sales

The Walking Dead $6
XCOM Enemy Unknown $10
Skyrim $7.50
Left 4 Dead 2 $5

All good games especially at those prices.

Last edited:
Quick tips for Steam sales (such as the current Steam Autumn sale):

1. Check other sites (such as GOG, Green Man Gaming, and Humble Bundle) before making any purchases. Just because it's on sale on Steam doesn't mean it's the best deal. Example: The current Humble Weekly sale features Jamestown, S.P.A.Z, Closure, Shatter, and other great games for as cheap as $1 (but remember, Humble sales support charity, too!) if you forego Dungeon Defenders and Defense Grid Gold.
  2. Add everything you want or think you might want to your Steam wish list.
  3. Watch flash sales and daily deals as you're able. Buy NOTHING unless it's on a daily deal or flash sale.
  4. On the last day of the sale, check your wish list for any games you want that weren't featured as a daily deal or flash sale. Make your last sale purchases then.
  5. Remember that Steam does not offer refunds (unless, of course, they fail to mention that a game requires Games for Windows Live on the store page and you politely request a refund), so don't buy a game you don't want just because it's cheap.

Last edited:
Quick tips for Steam sales (such as the current Steam Autumn sale):

1. Check other sites (such as GOG, Green Man Gaming, and Humble Bundle) before making any purchases. Just because it's on sale on Steam doesn't mean it's the best deal. Example: The current Humble Weekly sale features Jamestown, S.P.A.Z, Closure, Shatter, and other great games for as cheap as $1 (but remember, Humble sales support charity, too!) if you forego Dungeon Defenders and Defense Grid Gold.
  2. Add everything you want or think you might want to your Steam wish list.
  3. Watch flash sales and daily deals as you're able. Buy NOTHING unless it's on a daily deal or flash sale.
  4. On the last day of the sale, check your wish list for any games you want that weren't featured as a daily deal or flash sale. Make your last sale purchases then.
  5. Remember that Steam does not offer refunds (unless, of course, they fail to mention that a game requires Games for Windows Live on the store page and you politely request a refund), so don't buy a game you don't want just because it's cheap.

Good Advice... but what if I don't know what games I want? :p I am looking for somewhat popular games I can play with ToJ members that wont break the bank or cost a monthly fee. Oh and games that will run on a middle of the road laptop... Suggestions?

Good Advice... but what if I don't know what games I want? :p I am looking for somewhat popular games I can play with ToJ members that wont break the bank or cost a monthly fee. Oh and games that will run on a middle of the road laptop... Suggestions?
I'd recommend picking up this week's Humble Weekly sale first, then let us know what genres of games you enjoy.

A post with your laptop's hardware specs might help us make recommendations, too.

Some quick recommendations:

Chime http://store.steampowered.com/app/62100

FEZ http://store.steampowered.com/app/224760 (May or may not run well on your laptop)

Rochard http://store.steampowered.com/app/107800 which is a STEAL at $2

Critter Crunch http://store.steampowered.com/app/61730 ANOTHER steal at $2.09

Mercenary Kings http://store.steampowered.com/app/218820

Adventures of Shuggy http://store.steampowered.com/app/211440 $1.24? Oh my goodness, these deals are ridiculous

Bastion http://store.steampowered.com/app/107100 May not run all that well on a mid-range laptop; maybe watch for it in an indie game bundle instead

Thomas Was Alone http://store.steampowered.com/app/220780

I like online multiplayer shooters. I like some MMORPG's but get bored with the grind. I haven't played many single player games in years. I'm just getting back to gaming after being without my own computer for a long time. I'm not sure what everyone's playing. I have Dota 2 downloading right now to see how it runs on my machine.

I like online multiplayer shooters. I like some MMORPG's but get bored with the grind. I haven't played many single player games in years. I'm just getting back to gaming after being without my own computer for a long time. I'm not sure what everyone's playing. I have Dota 2 downloading right now to see how it runs on my machine.
MOBA game communities tend to be the most toxic around, so I recommend teaming up with fellow ToJ members to learn the game if at all possible.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is less than $4 right now. It's not that popular with ToJ members, but a multiplayer shooter from Valve for $4 is a pretty safe bet.

As for other multiplayer shooters, well, there's YAMS (Yet Another Military Shooter) games like Call of Honorfield or Medal of Battleduty, but UT2004, UT3, and TF2 are pretty much it for modern "arcade" multiplayer shooters.

but UT2004, UT3, and TF2 are pretty much it for modern "arcade" multiplayer shooters.

I guess i'm just a throwback to a bygone age... What does I guy like me do then? I like to game, but don't particularly like most of the newer games, or cant play them on my laptop. Many of them are an endless pit of money, buy this dozen add on packs... Its free to play, but you cant really play well or win without buying this one more thing. I don't like the way the gaming industry is going. I guess I just play my old games for now... Maybe this old fart will find something he likes eventually.

Last edited:
I guess i'm just a throwback to a bygone age... What does I guy like me do then? I like to game, but don't particularly like most of the newer games, or cant play them on my laptop. Many of them are an endless pit of money, buy this dozen add on packs... Its free to play, but you cant really play well or win without buying this one more thing. I don't like the way the gaming industry is going. I guess I just play my old games for now... Maybe this old fart will find something he likes eventually.
The good news is that independent developers are filling the gaps left by larger studios. Whereas there may not be a UT3, at least we have games like Xonotic and Warsow to scratch the itch. :)

I'm still waiting for a proper successor to Unreal Tournament 2004 (sorry, Mostly_Harmless, but I still maintain that UT3 isn't it). Quake 4 couldn't live up to the admittedly lofty standard set by Quake 3 deathmatch (even if I was disappointed in Q3's lack of a proper single-player campaign), Quake Live is good but free-to-play models tend to corrupt the gameplay experience (though I still enjoy QL, I can not STAND ads but don't play enough to buy in), and I can't really think of any buy-once-play-forever (Xonotic and Warsow both being free) modern options for arena PC shooters.

I blame consoles and Modern Warfare because it's easy, but the truth is likely far more complex. Arena shooters are great, but the Quake community is second only to League of Legends in terms of toxicity (in my experience) and the steep learning curve and skill ceiling mean few new players will pick it up.

The good news is that independent developers are filling the gaps left by larger studios. Whereas there may not be a UT3, at least we have games like Xonotic and Warsow to scratch the itch. :)

I'm still waiting for a proper successor to Unreal Tournament 2004 (sorry, Mostly_Harmless, but I still maintain that UT3 isn't it). Quake 4 couldn't live up to the admittedly lofty standard set by Quake 3 deathmatch (even if I was disappointed in Q3's lack of a proper single-player campaign), Quake Live is good but free-to-play models tend to corrupt the gameplay experience (though I still enjoy QL, I can not STAND ads but don't play enough to buy in), and I can't really think of any buy-once-play-forever (Xonotic and Warsow both being free) modern options for arena PC shooters.

I blame consoles and Modern Warfare because it's easy, but the truth is likely far more complex. Arena shooters are great, but the Quake community is second only to League of Legends in terms of toxicity (in my experience) and the steep learning curve and skill ceiling mean few new players will pick it up.

I agree with you on all counts. I'm looking for fun casual games with good people. I don't want to spend 1000 hrs+ on the learning curve for some of these games. I'm going to give Warsow and Xonotic another look. In fact it looks like Warsow was green-lit for steam. We may be seeing it available in the steam store soon :).

I agree with you on all counts. I'm looking for fun casual games with good people. I don't want to spend 1000 hrs+ on the learning curve for some of these games. I'm going to give Warsow and Xonotic another look. In fact it looks like Warsow was green-lit for steam. We may be seeing it available in the steam store soon :).

Also found something called Cube 2: Sauerbraten i'm going to check out. You ever heard of it?

Back