Sunday School teacher fired for...being a woman?

Dark Virtue

54-Years Teaching Sunday School: Woman Suddenly Fired Due to Gender

August 21, 2006 11:30 a.m. EST

Patricia Shehan - All Headline News Staff Writer

West Palm Beach, FL (AHN) - The Associated Press (AP) reports that a woman who has been teaching Sunday School at The First Baptist Church in New York for 54 years was suddenly dismissed from her job on August 9 because of her gender.

The teacher, Mary Lambert, received a letter of explanation along with her dismissal from the Reverend Timothy LaBouf as he quoted Biblical scripture in his literal interpretation that woman are not allowed to teach or have authority over men.

LaBouf also serves on the local city council in which all the council members are men, but the city manager is a woman.

On Saturday, the AP reported that LaBouf stated, "I believe that a woman can perform any job and fulfill any responsibility that she desires to" outside of the church.

According to a statement issued by the church board members, there were other issues not named that also determined the dismissal of Lambert.

I'm not sure which verses he used, but I could make an educated guess.

What do you guys, and more importantly, girls, think of this?

I don't know. I really don't have enough details to make an informed decision. After recently taking a quiz about media bias, I am a little skeptical to take things at face value.

Gen

My Sunday school teacher was a woman and it was through her teaching that I learned of A God who loved me enough that He sent His only son that through Hm(Jesus) I would have eternal life. It was the love of God that peaked my interest that she spoke of many times. I am thankful to God for that women. I know she has gone on to be with the Lord now but one day I will see her again and express my gratitude to her.

We do not live in OT times nor even NT times where women are expected to act like in the days of old. We live in a world that has time and it is always moving forward and because of it traditions change.

There are places in Asia that still treat women very badly though. Places that give them no freedom at all.

My personal thought is that God set him(Timothy LaBouf) in authority over all aspects of his church, and it is not wise to go against God's chosen authority let alone say anything about his decisions whether they are right or wrong.

This man because he is in authority will answer to God for all that he says and does within the body of Christ.

He does not answer to me.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I think that is pretty bad. She's been doing it for so long, she's got to be dedicated. You don't throw out good, dedicated volunteers for something so trivial as which restroom door they walk through.

If women are not to be in authority over men, do I, being a male of 19, not have to obey my mother?

We are all the same kind of beings. There are some gender-based differences in sizes of different regions of the brain, but if you believe, as I do, in us as having a spirit (i.e. a metaphysical component of our self) that is the same no matter what physical body you have, then I don't know how such a thing as this could have happened.

I'm sorry, but I think that is pretty bad. She's been doing it for so long, she's got to be dedicated. You don't throw out good, dedicated volunteers for something so trivial as which restroom door they walk through.

If women are not to be in authority over men, do I, being a male of 19, not have to obey my mother?

We are all the same kind of beings. There are some gender-based differences in sizes of different regions of the brain, but if you believe, as I do, in us as having a spirit (i.e. a metaphysical component of our self) that is the same no matter what physical body you have, then I don't know how such a thing as this could have happened.

To answer your question, "Yes" out of respect especially if you are living under their roof and are to adhere to their rules.

This is about a minister who is set up in authority by God. Remember there is all kinds of delegated authorities there are those who work and are involved at church like the Sunday school teacher who was fired and some are your bosses at work , your parents, police, governmental positions such as a President, a King etc, etc.

All authority comes from God and yes He gave it to your mother as well.

There are different levels of authority and because God set those up to be in authority over us we must not question or murmur about them because if we do question or murmur about them then we are actually questioning or murmuring against God the one who set them in authority.

Take a look a Romans13:1-7 also if you read Lev.10:1-2 Nadab and Abihu were burned because they offered a strange fire before God.
The meaning of strange fire is to serve without an order, to serve without obedience to authority.
Nadab and Abihu failed to see who represented God's authority.

One last and good example is in Numbers 12 where Miriam and Aaron oppose Moses.
Moses was set up in authority by God to lead the Jews from Eygpt and both his brother and sister began to oppose him because of a woman that Moses married. God becomes angry against them and Miriam becomes leprous but read chapter 12 for yourself and you will see that it is not wise to oppose and murmur against authority. This chapter is a prime example.
One must remember that athority is given by God and is not an attainment of man.
We must have a spirit of obedience and practice obedience and also to learn to exercise delegated authority.

Well sorry for going on and on about this but it is very imporant that I get this across to you. LOL:) thanks.

it specifically says that women are not to be in authority over men. This decision if based soley on the Bible is correct.

Should women also pray with their heads covered?
1Corinthians 11:2-16

Is it also disgraceful for a woman to speak in church?
1Corinthians 14:33-36

Unless there are no men available and willing to submit to God, I say oust her..

Women play an important role in society, that on which hinges a LOT of trust..

If a woman teacher were to get "in her flesh", satan could then fill her mind with all sorts of lies that she'd be teaching..Albiet this can and does happen to men as well, but men are not in the emotional position of a woman, and the hearers are more able to discern the lie, for a logical standpoint..

Woman think with thier hearts, men with thier brains..

God uses both! :)

I believe it says in Ephesians "man or women we are all one in Christ" or something close to that. There are examples in the old and new testement of women in leadership. The real issue should hinge on the different roles men and women play. I submit to my husband. If I wanted to enter church leadership, (and I have been there) I would discuss it with him and get his approval. If he didn't give it, I wouldn't lead. I do not believe that the new testement forbids women from leading even over men. I see many examples of defining roles and mutual relationships. I have a friend who used to believe that women should not lead, then he went and read all the letters in the NT underlining everything to do with women, and changed his mind.

Unless there are no men available and willing to submit to God, I say oust her..

If a woman teacher were to get "in her flesh", satan could then fill her mind with all sorts of lies that she'd be teaching..Albiet this can and does happen to men as well, but men are not in the emotional position of a woman, and the hearers are more able to discern the lie, for a logical standpoint..

:confused:
That is a dangerous statement.
Is that biblical? or just opinion?

I'm going to have to agree with Ash.

How does a woman teacher differ from a male teacher? Are women more easily succeptible to get Satan "in their flesh"?

You're on a slippery slope. Before long, we'll be discussing whether or not women have the right to vote, or any equality whatsoever.

:eek: Ummmmm Could someone here please explain to me what Zeena is trying to say here?:confused:
Her first sentence makes no sense. Ahhh oust her?:confused:
I tend toward agreeing with you aka Ash.

DICTIONARY.COM
5 results for: oust
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source new!
oust  /aʊst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[oust] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object) 1. to expel or remove from a place or position occupied: The bouncer ousted the drunk; to oust the Prime Minister in the next election.
2. Law. to eject or evict; dispossess.
------
[Origin: 1375–1425; late ME < AF ouster to remove, OF oster < L obstāre to stand in the way, oppose (ob- ob- + stāre to stand)]

—Synonyms 1. eject, banish, evict, dislodge.

Genisis:
*2:23-24 The man said,
"This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called 'woman,'
for she was taken out of man."
24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
*3:6 6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.
*3:12-13 12 The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it."
13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?"
The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."
3:17 17 To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,'
As you can see, I merely quoted from scriupture, in my "own" words
John 7:16
Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me.

John 15:20
Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.

Ephesians 4:14
Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.

3If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

1 Timothy 2:12
I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
I let God speak for Himself, for I am a woman..

Lets make sure that when we are sharing our opinion that we are being considerate of others feelings...this is a good thread with a lot of good thoughts, lets keep it on the subject.

Well here I go again.
Ummm let me just say thank you Zeena I already know what oust means however it is your entire little speech above that makes no sense. I truly have no idea what it is you are saying.
Please can you clarify the whole thing in simple lamens terms?
Thank you.:)

That seems to be somewhat of a sweeping generalization.

My point in saying "Woman think with thier hearts, man with thier brains", is that the essence of a woman and the essence of man remain the same throughout all of history..Up to the point on the cross of Jesus..

Men think logically, and this can be proven if you look behind the word of Jesus to see the Father..If Jesus is willing it is a simple task, but you must ask for yourself.

The book of Genisis specifically sets forth the nature of men (man and woman) in the natural (innocent) state..

The woman FELT as if eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil would give her wisdom..I say felt because the word of God had specifically said it would bring death, which word she had recieved from her head (her future husband, for Adam had not lain with Eve until after they had sinned). Having recieved the word as from God, she therefore KNEW that eating of this tree would bring death, and not life.. (Mind, Will and Emotions are what men consist of (men=man AND woman), as well, man is created to be a triune being, spirit, soul and body) She KNEW! But her DESIRE (emotional FEELINGS) lead her to believe the tree was good for gaining wisdom..Ergo, the mother of all living judged with her heart..

6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

Satan had to go through woman to get to man..
For he (that devil) could not confuse the mind of the man, he resorted to forceful tactics in order to get him to eat of the tree of knowlege of good and evil..

The man, on the other hand, weighed the situation..

Picture it!
This is why God gave us an imagination! :D

Eve comes to her husband, who loves her with all his being, with the knowledge of good and evil! She is a part of him! For he spoke thus:
Genesis 2:23
23 The man said,
"This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called 'woman, '
for she was taken out of man."
He knows now that she is as good as dead, for he remembers the Word of the Lord. He then puts down his own life to join in the death of Eve.. Knowing they can be together in death..Ergo the seed from which all man derives it's name chose to judge with his thoughts..logically..Thinking it would be better to die with Eve than to live a life apart. He even went so far as to accuse God of injustice for he saith:
Genesis 3:12
12 The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it."
And there it is..Sin after sin after sin! :p

Adam willingly chose to lay down his life for Eve,
not so with Eve, for she was decieved..
Adam may have laid down his life for Eve, someone he loved..
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
God did this..In sending His Only Begotten Son!
Jesus came and died for the sins of the whole world!
And He now Lives to interceed for us!
He gave us every Spiritual blessing in Christ Jesus!
Because of His Great Love for us! :D

Ephesians 2
1As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. 4But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

My point in saying "Woman think with thier hearts, man with thier brains", is that the essence of a woman and the essence of man remain the same throughout all of history..Up to the point on the cross of Jesus..

Men think logically, and this can be proven if you look behind the word of Jesus to see the Father..If Jesus is willing it is a simple task, but you must ask for yourself.

The book of Genisis specifically sets forth the nature of men (man and woman) in the natural (innocent) state..

The woman FELT as if eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil would give her wisdom..I say felt because the word of God had specifically said it would bring death, which word she had recieved from her head (her future husband, for Adam had not lain with Eve until after they had sinned). Having recieved the word as from God, she therefore KNEW that eating of this tree would bring death, and not life.. (Mind, Will and Emotions are what men consist of (men=man AND woman), as well, man is created to be a triune being, spirit, soul and body) She KNEW! But her DESIRE (emotional FEELINGS) lead her to believe the tree was good for gaining wisdom..Ergo, the mother of all living judged with her heart..

Satan had to go through woman to get to man..
For he (that devil) could not confuse the mind of the man, he resorted to forceful tactics in order to get him to eat of the tree of knowlege of good and evil..

The man, on the other hand, weighed the situation..

Picture it!
This is why God gave us an imagination! :D

Eve comes to her husband, who loves her with all his being, with the knowledge of good and evil! She is a part of him! For he spoke thus:
He knows now that she is as good as dead, for he remembers the Word of the Lord. He then puts down his own life to join in the death of Eve.. Knowing they can be together in death..Ergo the seed from which all man derives it's name chose to judge with his thoughts..logically..Thinking it would be better to die with Eve than to live a life apart. He even went so far as to accuse God of injustice for he saith:
And there it is..Sin after sin after sin! :p

Adam willingly chose to lay down his life for Eve,
not so with Eve, for she was decieved..
Adam may have laid down his life for Eve, someone he loved..God did this..In sending His Only Begotten Son!
Jesus came and died for the sins of the whole world!
And He now Lives to interceed for us!
He gave us every Spiritual blessing in Christ Jesus!
Because of His Great Love for us! :D

Well all I will say after reading this is I disagree with all you wrote here with exception to your last 4 sentences.

Last edited:
Back