Switching computer

Kid4Christ

Hey guys, im going to be building a new comp soon and Im trying to send all my important stuff to my other one like Guild Wars. I think though with guild wars everyting is backed up on arena net's server right? So I have nothing to worry about I hope...

yea all your characters and their respective gear are stored on Anet's servers.

Incidentally I would suggest not reinstalling GW, instead just copy it. The game is registry free so you can just copy the Guild Wars folder from your program files directory straight onto your new hard drive and not have to waste time installing and patching.

Yeah, for GW the important file is the big .dat file. It should be somewhere around 4 gig now. Copy that over at the very least.That way you don't have to download the updates to EVERY town/area over again.

That is the beauty of online games......they are always saved and backed up...so you don't have to. :)

If you take lots of screenies, there's one thing to consider: if you download and install the GW client on the new drive, and then replace the .dat file and template folder, but put the screenshots in a NEW folder, you will start over on your screenshot count.

Why does this matter? When you reach a certain point, you can only take solid black screenshots. I have no idea why, but reinstalling GW is the only thing that lets you take new ones again; simply renaming the old folder once it has started doing that won't do it, even though the numbers on the file names wil start over!

If you take lots of screenies, there's one thing to consider: if you download and install the GW client on the new drive, and then replace the .dat file and template folder, but put the screenshots in a NEW folder, you will start over on your screenshot count.

Why does this matter? When you reach a certain point, you can only take solid black screenshots. I have no idea why, but reinstalling GW is the only thing that lets you take new ones again; simply renaming the old folder once it has started doing that won't do it, even though the numbers on the file names wil start over!

Wierd :/

Oh yeah! One browny point for GW! I also love the fact thats its not time consuming like other MMO's because we all have a life to attend to!

Not time consuming? Tell that to my dirty kitchen.

Kel Queen of all Europe

To bad I can't pay a maid with GW gold :(

He means you don't HAVE to spend hours and hours and hours to get just a little bit. In GW you can get pretty far in just a couple of hours. And it has mechanisms like 'mapping' to a town instead of walking there.

I once saw a friend spend 30 minutes running in FFXI just to get to the next town. In EVE it took 3 hours just to transports stuff halfway across the map.....

Then there's the whole leveling thing......

Cloud G, that is exactly what I mean! Quick mapping, no camping, henchies so you don't have to sit for a group for hours, and so on. I mean Im in College right now. I don't have to to spit hours beyond hours of time into games. Sometimes I play for 5 minutes and others I play for 5 hours.

Back