switching OS

B-man

im thinking of switching my OS to linux.....but i have no idea what i would be doing cause i never used it before. So i was wondering if i get some help choosing/setting everything up/advice and how to use it =\

it would also be nice to know the pros and cons of switching from windows xp to linux. Thanks.

First things first, i don't recommend switching to linux because unless you know complicated program codes, C languages and such, you won't be able to run anything.

linux..... unless u know what ur doing or how to do it.... dont do it. its kinda like the HLDS adminmod readme says: if u dont know anythign about this program or prior knowlege of it, quit now.

Yeh but setting up hardware was pain for me.. and best thing is, after days and days of work my sister types random stuffs and somehow manages to delete all those..

blargh i went bak to windows :| i hope windows will be better in the future.

i think i might buy a old used comp and run linux on that so i can learn how it works and how to work it etc.

If you get a good GUI (such as KDE, etc., it's really easy to get going.

PS....and if you want to just try it, you could do a Knoppix installation. It runs from the CD, and doesn't change any system files. Then if you like it, you can install Knoppix to the HD, or load a different distro.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([toj.cc]hescominsoon @ Jan. 08 2005,4:36)]how long ago did you try? And which linux version? The easiest one for beginner IME is mandrake 10.
I wanted to get a mandrake since im a linux nub, but all i got was a redhat :| i'm gonna try that later when i have spare time.

im downloading knoppix right now
smile.gif

ok, the DL is complete....but now i need help cause i have no idea how to create the boot disk nor do i know how to use it >.<

[b said:
Quote[/b] (B-man @ Jan. 10 2005,4:42)]im downloading knoppix right now
w00t for Knoppix Live-on-CD!

I have a CD handy just in case my PC freaks out and I have to pull data off of it. A co-worker recommended it back when I was working for a PC repair company in Tulsa. It's easy to use, has a great interface, and, best of all, doesn't modify your system!

If you're looking to explore the wonderful world of Linux, burning and using a Knoppix Live-on-CD is the best way to start.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SirThom @ Jan. 14 2005,9:32)]He said it turned him off because it couldn't run CS.

What a great excuse ;)
being able to run CS is very important...
biggrin.gif

Back