talon goes mobile

Talon

I'm going mobile for college next year, got meself a college laptop yesterday. Custom built compaq v2000z. Got it from my graduation money and money for cleaning church the last 2 months, plus money from cleaning church for at least another 2 months.

It weighs about 5.5 lbs, and has a battery life of about 5 and a half hours with the 12 cell battery.
-1.6ghz amd Turion 64 (bit) w/1mb L2 cache, 35 watt
-windows XP home
-256mb PC2100 (taking that out first and replacing with 512mb PC2700)
-80gb 5400rpm hard drive
-8x dual layer dual format dvd burner
-14inch widescreen
-ATI 200m xpress (350mhz core clock, 128mb shared ram at 333mhz after my upgrade, 128bit bandwidth)
-54g with speedboost.
-12 cell battery

All for $964 after rebates and instant savings.
Be here on july 28th.

Now i can CS between classes on the campus wireless network :) that and taking notes. My grandma also wants a laptop to go online (she's never used a computer before) so she will be using it when i'm home cause i'll be on my desktop.

uh... >_>

Doesn't look that great for 964...

That's about approximately the same specs as THIS 5 Year old desktop... <_<

Unless you're looking for simple games and LOOONG battery life... :p Cause my laptop battery life while playing a game is approximately 1.25~ hours... LOL

Extremely short, because of it's power hogging accessories... I want a thin laptop like that one for walking around with. I can't carry around my 10 pound laptop! =O

You'll look funny playing Counter-Strike in the Quad... LOL!

*everyone point and laugh at talon!*

jk! :D

---

Congrads, and we're gonna own you still when you're on the laptop! :D *I hope

Its a college laptop COLLEGE not performance. It will play games ok, it hasnt gotten here yet so i dont know how it will handle them. Keep in mind the AMD turion 64 is exaclty 1.6ghz, or about amd 2600+ or equivelent (might be 200+ either way, not sure)

Yes... I said that. I hope. XD

now is 2600 = 1.6

and 2700 = 1.7

THEREFORE

and 3700 = 2.7

????????????

apprantly i'm not an AMD fan... XD

I love HT!

Negative, but i'm not sure how it works out with clocks. I'm a intel fan and yes HT rules (even more, is HT with dual core :) I got the AMD cause it was a bit cheaper (about $150 cheaper) and it runs way cooler than centrino.

SilentAssassin said:
Yes... I said that. I hope. XD

now is 2600 = 1.6

and 2700 = 1.7

THEREFORE

and 3700 = 2.7

????????????

apprantly i'm not an AMD fan... XD

I love HT!
a bit off, 2600+ is bout 2131.4-6mhz as qouted by my comp. for laptops im not sure

So true, i read an article online that said that ultra low power consumption cpus like pentium-Ms are the thing of the future. Only take a quarter inch tall HS and a small 40mm HSF. Also they are ultra low power consumption (35 watts max, compared to an intel P4 with HT on LGA775 pulling 85-95 watts). Also very OC'able, past what we have now yet still inside safty areas of heat and power consumption.

I just got this laptop for the features, price, battery life, and weight, not really gaming (although i didnt want intel extreme graphics 2, yes it can play halo PC at 30fps, but very badly). According to an online review, this laptop pulled 409 3Dmark05 with the 2ghz turion and 1gb of pc2700 ram. To put that into perspective, my desktop pulled 3606 3Dmark05.

Got it, wowy its small and light weight. Not to mention quiet. Got rid of that junk they load on it and im' good to go. CS runs at 1024x786x16 at 80-100 fps, i'm pleased. Ram upgrade went well also.

CPU-Z Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU-Z version 1.26.

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Name AMD Athlon 64
Code Name
Specification AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology ML-30
Family / Model / Stepping F 4 2
Extended Family / Model F 24
Brand ID 10
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
CPU Clock Speed 1600.1 MHz
Clock multiplier x 8.0
HTT Bus Frequency 200.0 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 1600.1 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 128 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer Quanta
Motherboard model 3093, 47.0D
BIOS vendor Hewlett-Packard
BIOS revision F.06
BIOS release date 06/08/2005
Chipset ATI Radeon RS480 rev. 1
Southbridge ATI ID4377 rev. 0

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 768 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 133.3 MHz
FSB:DRAM CPU/12.0
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 8 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 Hyundai Electronics DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 256 MBytes
Module 1 Kingmax Semiconductor DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX version 9.0c

734 3dmark03 score, in comparison, my desktop pulls 7700 3dmark03 marks. Runs cs 80-100 fps on 1024x768, a bit distored since its widescreen.

Last edited:
True mobile bliss. Its nice. I can play cs, cs source, hl2, flight sim, all the graphic intensive games, i can even map cs source maps on it. (cs source and hl2 are minimal graphics of course)

Its gonna be invaluable when college starts next month. I have a choice on 3 days of the week, either go home for 3 hrs in mid day between classes, or bring my headphone/mic and sit and play cs for 3 hrs in the library.

Its gonna be invaluable when college starts next month. I have a choice on 3 days of the week, either go home for 3 hrs in mid day between classes, or bring my headphone/mic and sit and play cs for 3 hrs in the library.

or umm, well, maybe, STUDY :)

Back