Tanks: Defense, what you need and why.

Woven

I've been asked a few times about this so I thought I'd post here.

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t37172-protection_paladin_field_manual_wow_3_0_wotlk/

Defense Rating
4.92 defense rating = 1 defense skill (If you're new to these stats, pay careful attention to the difference between defense rating and defense skill.)
25 defense skill gives:
-1% chance to take a critical hit from melee or ranged (non-spell) attacks.
+1% chance to be missed
+1% chance to dodge, parry, and block (each).
Mobs have a 5% chance to crit a player of the same level with a fully trained defense skill (400 defense skill for a level 80 player). Each level of difference increases the mob's chance to crit by 0.2%. Hence:
A level 83 mob (e.g., a raid boss) will have a 5.6% chance to crit a level 80 player with 400 defense. Accordingly, the player will need an additional 5.6 * 25 = 140 defense skill, or a total of 540 defense skill to be uncrittable by raid bosses. This is equivalent to 689 defense rating.
A level 82 mob (the highest level found in heroic 5-man dungeons) will have a 5.4% chance to crit a level 80 player with 400 defense. Accordingly, the player will need an additional 5.4 * 25 = 135 defense skill, or a total of 535 defense skill to be uncrittable in heroic 5-mans. This is equivalent to 664 defense rating.
Players with enough defense to be uncrittable don't benefit from the crit-reduction aspect of additional defense skill, but they still gain miss, parry, dodge, and block chance as defense is added.
25 defense skill gives +1% to miss, parry, dodge, and block. This requires 123 defense rating.
Hence, adding 1% total avoidance (blocked attacks included) requires approximately 31 defense rating.
Adding 1% full avoidance (blocked attacks excluded) requires 41 defense rating.
Importantly, defense rating does not suffer from diminishing returns, unlike dodge and parry rating.

Continue the math and you can find out what you need in reg lvl 80 instances.

Last edited:
Back