TeamSpeak 3

cgdoc519

Christian Gamers Alliance Staff Manager
Teamspeak 3 will be moving to open beta this Saturday. While there is some big improvments it will require one thing.....a new server. During an interview the lead designer stated that TS2 servers are not compatible with TS3. What will this mean for the CGA? New server or sticking with TS2. I personally hope we move to a TS3 compatible server as they will now offer native linux/MAC support with full features. Currently MAC users have to use Teamspeex which is far inferior to the TS2 client. Any thoughts???

the new ts3 has significant restrictions for free use in terms of limits on the numbers of users...32. After that you have to rent one. if you are a registered NPO and register with them then you can get 512 slots. So unless cga registers as an npo and then get an approved npo registration form Teamspeak you are limited to 32 slots.

Ugh. While we technically are a non-profit, that requires a lot of extra work and maintaining physical records, which becomes a little difficult for an online-only organization.

I'm sure they will have something for the gaming community. We have to be a large chunk of there user base.

the licensing is set...its 32 slots or pay or incur the costs and overhead of being a registered NPO. All of their documentation has not changed in months

well, I wonder how many people will drop TS for another service like Vent then. Will they still support TS2?

I doubt they would have much support for their old client if they're releasing a new one...at least, not for very long.

well, I wonder how many people will drop TS for another service like Vent then. Will they still support TS2?
I highly doubt it. They are pushing ts3 hard. They aren't going to disable ts2 so you can run existing servers you jsut won't get any kind of updates for ts2. Ventrilo is even more restrictive...8 slots for free and there are other highly problematic security related restrictions. THe closest thing that's out there i ahve seen in mumble but it's far form easy to seutp on the server side.

Speaking from the leadership side, we'll stay TS2 as long as we can. If we are required to change, we'll review our options. I would be promoting mumbo before vent, just to put that out there.

I don't think it matters what we use, as long as we have something. I belive TS has been an invaluble tool for our guild and fellowship.

mohawk however does not provide a free server..at all..except for their one public server that you have not control over.

Not sure what we will do. I'm sure we will most likely follow the cga though. Maybe I will make a post on there and see what Tek and them think.

I know that the isue has been brought up in the leaders area (forget the exact name) and there hasn't been a consensus yet. Mumble was one of the options discussed, as was moving to TS3 or Ventrilo.

I'd have to go back and look again to see what the status is..if I can find the forum again :)

Basically, the CGA runs more than the licensing for TS3 will allow. If we were a non-profit organization, we could get more space - upto 512 users... but

The CGA is not a registered NPO therefore the registration isn't going to be available to us. We have explored registration before but the legal and financial hoops were too much for the limited staff to handle.

So that would leave us limited to 32 users, across all of the CGA TS servers.

Basically, the CGA runs more than the licensing for TS3 will allow. If we were a non-profit organization, we could get more space - upto 512 users... but

So that would leave us limited to 32 users, across all of the CGA TS servers.

wow, that stinks.

Back