Tempted to get a PSP instead of the 3DS for now :)

PSP or 3DS????

• PSP - $129

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 3DS - $249

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Logos

Okay so I have been looking and pondering, and well, I am really considering getting the PSP instead of the 3DS for now...just because I didn't realize the amount of RPGs and other style games that I enjoy that are on there. Plus it is portable and the kids would like that too. Anyways..what do you think??

My recommendation? If you already have one handheld, don't buy either and wait for a second generation 3DS model.

If you don't already have a handheld and budget is a concern, pick up a DS Lite on the cheap.

If you don't already have a handheld and can afford a top hat and monocle AND just have to have a handheld, get both. Top hats and monocles are expensive.

But seriously, it all depends on preference. The PSP is the safer bet since it's near the end of its life cycle and you know what's available. Buying a 3DS is like investing in Nintendo's future: There's not much payoff now, but if the 3DS library is half as strong as the DS's in 2-3 years, it'll be a worthwhile investment. Of course, there's bound to be a second generation model 3DS, so it might be wise to wait.

I do agree that the PSP is about done. Granted, there's a number of AAA titles that you could pick up, ranging from RPGs (even niche SRPGs), tactical shooters, to futuristic racing. Most of these could be had for 10~20 bucks regardless if it's used or from the PSN store. I love my PSP to bits and some of the recent games have been pretty sick (God of War: Ghost of Sparta, MGS: Peace Walker, Dissidia Duodecim [Final Fantasy fighter], Final Fantasy IV collection [including the Wii Ware stories], Patapon series, etc.) so you won't be waiting around for a real game library to show up. For T to M-rated games, the PSP has you covered (and yes, there are a few family-friendly games too if desired such as Patapon/Loco Roco.)

As for the 3DS, I tried it for a few hours when my dorm buddies picked it up, the 3D did strain my eyes after 20~30 minutes of play time, but that's just my personal experience, wasn't too crazy about the controls. Only real reason not to get the 3DS would be 1) the amount of "decent" games offered, 2) possible eye strain, 3) Nintendo will do a revision in the future like they did with the GBA and DS, possibly at a lower price.

The DS Lite didn't cut it for me other than a few titles (Mario Kart, Chrono Trigger, Megaman series), but the PSP is a smart and relatively cheap choice. My vote is for that.

...and who needs a 3DS when Sony's NGP/PSP2 is right around the corner? :p

EDIT: General overview of some of the better games: http://psp.ign.com/articles/102/1023970p1.html

Well I suppose I must alter this poll...since they just issued a price drop on the DS lite for $99 and I gotta say that is very tempting since I have $50 saved up already for a handheld. I am putting a little back each paycheck for games if the budget allows and with this last paycheck I was able to put $50 back so I am over half way especially with my Target employee discount, I can get it around $80. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back