The Bible:  Literal or Figurative

The Bible:  Literal or Figurative - Are the stories in the Bible real?

• All the stories in the Bible are Literal

Votes: 21 100.0%
  • Some of the stories are Literal, some are Figurative

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the stories in the Bible are Figurative

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dark Virtue

This poll is not to question the divinity of the Bible, but assumes that it is the Word of God.  The question posed before you regards the contents.  Are all the stories literal?  Are they all figurative?  Or is there a mix?  Obviously the parables in the Bible are figurative.  This poll focuses on stories like Creation, the Flood, Joshua making the Sun stand still, etc.

Also, if you vote for some figurative / some literal, please tell me how you distinguish one from the other.

I voted
biggrin.gif

My vote was for both, The things that I take figuratively are those describing future events for the most part, like the description of armeggedon and such. The other things that I take figuratively is when the desription is preceeded by the appropriate grammatical structure that deems it figurative. An example is the vision Ezekiel saw of the wheels within wheels.

I voted half and half.

It's not what we think is literal or figurative; it is what we can find to be literal or figurative based on careful exegesis and hermeutics.

For instance:

Do I believe that there was necessarily a world-wide flood? No. There are several Ancient Near-Eastern tales of a flood, and although it could have stretched all across the earth, 1) that knowledge isn't pertinent to my salvation, and 2) either way, it illustrates that the Bible is an amazing book filled with narrative, poetry, wisdom, and geneology.

Do I believe that Jesus walked and talked, literally? Yes.

Do I believe that there was literally a city named Ai that Joshua conquered? Yes, despite the fact that we haven't found it.

Whether parts are literal or figurative, it doesn't trouble me...the Bible is still a tremendous work that illustrates God's covenant with Israel and His covenant with us through His Son Jesus.

blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Arkanjel @ Sep. 09 2004,3:03)]I voted
biggrin.gif

My vote was for both, The things that I take figuratively are those describing future events for the most part, like the description of armeggedon and such. The other things that I take figuratively is when the desription is preceeded by the appropriate grammatical structure that deems it figurative. An example is the vision Ezekiel saw of the wheels within wheels.
Careful with your logic.

If you assert that all visions in the Bible are figurative, what does that say about Revelations or prophecies?

i believe it to be literral with symbolic references added: like the sword coming out of Jesus' mouth in revlation

Simple to me, what is seen in a visions is obviously figurative, and what happens in "real life" isn't. Of course all are intended to teach you things.

So what about prophecies? Since they are visions are they considered to be only figurative or literal representations of the future? And if prophecies are literal, what about other visions?

Yes..and no. I don't believe most of Genesis ( About the Garden of Eden, and the Flood ) are literal, and I don't believe Job is literal. ( After all, why would God test Job if He knew he wouldn't abandon Him? )

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Sep. 11 2004,5:10)]So what about prophecies? Since they are visions are they considered to be only figurative or literal representations of the future? And if prophecies are literal, what about other visions?
There's a difference between prophecy and revelation/apocalyptic visions. Prophecy refers to the extolling of biblical truth and/or insight into contemporary happenings. For instance, the prophecy that takes place in Isaiah and all the other books of the prophets refers to events contemporary to their times. Over 95% of the prophecy in the Old Testament has been seen to be fulfilled.

Then you have the revelatory/apocalyptic stuff like Daniel and Revelation. I won't touch that stuff with a 10-foot pole at this point in my journey...lol.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TastyWheat @ Sep. 11 2004,8:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Over 95% of the prophecy in the Old Testament has been seen to be fulfilled.

That's questionable at best, especially since historians feel some of the NT was "molded" to try and fit the OT prophecies.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Then you have the revelatory/apocalyptic stuff like Daniel and Revelation. I won't touch that stuff with a 10-foot pole at this point in my journey...lol.

Smart man.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Then you have the revelatory/apocalyptic stuff like Daniel and Revelation. I won't touch that stuff with a 10-foot pole at this point in my journey...lol.

I'll dance that dance. I've just completed a study on Daniel, and one on Matthew 24 and 25. We just started one on The Revelation. My favorite parts of the Bible
smile.gif

Cory

OH MY GOSH U GUYS SAY 33% THINK IT'S LITERALL!?!!??!?!?!?! U GUYS ARE INSANE!!!!
wow.gif
*Freaking out*. seriously get a grip, (i know i need 2) the bible is DEFINATELY not ALL literall. read it and don't LOOK for contradictions just read.
tounge.gif
if u don believe me fine. i can make sure u will become a christian in 1 year. (that is if ur looking for god instead of waiting.
*GOD I DEMAND U COME INTO ME NOW! [i am too lazy to go out. i want to sit here and have u do every thing 4 me.] -acutally once u have faith u can do that and read and read and read. it is weird. he actually just makes me read and read and read... weird.
rock.gif
anyway, i have LOTS of examples toshow GOD IS REAL!!!
wow.gif
u want some? good. i post it later. lol!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Sep. 11 2004,3:52)]That's questionable at best, especially since historians feel some of the NT was "molded" to try and fit the OT prophecies.
I never said that the NT times were contemporary to the prophets.

There's a lot of messianic hinting in books such as Isaiah, true, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I meant the political stuff.

Greetings, I am new here so will try to ease in to the flow of the different topics. I for one believe that many parts of the bible are literal, especially when you talk about genesis and creation type stories. I also believe the bible says exactly what it means and that we as mankind tend to try to always intertpret it so that it fits our beliefs rather than try to stretch our beliefs to fit what it says.

Blessings all,
J

So how do you reconcile with those Christians that don't believe the Bible is completely literal?

Doesn't that make one of you right and one of you wrong? This is serious stuff here, it's the interpretation of the word of God, right?

hmmm... EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD IS GOOD! because god made it. however everything is good only in the right context, the purpose that god made "it" or whatever "it" is.
*... and god saw that everything was good...*
Genisis
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jehovahjava @ Sep. 16 2004,5:23)]I also believe the bible says exactly what it means and that we as mankind tend to try to always intertpret it so that it fits our beliefs rather than try to stretch our beliefs to fit what it says.
Only part of that is true.

There are two steps that you NEED to take if you care at all about learning something from Scripture:

1) Know what it meant. We are incredibly distanced by Scripture; it was recorded many years ago, many miles away in a distinct culture that did not have the baggage we have now when we try to interpret Scripture.

2) Know what it means. This is the part that we apply to our lives today. This is important, obviously, because this is the main reason anybody picks up a Bible in the first place; people want to know what it has to say to them.

Notice that meant comes before means.

Read:
How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Fee & Stuart
Toward Understanding the Bible by Yoder.

Back