The Engineer 1-20 Review

Ezekiel 22:30

I have been playing this class extensively lately, getting one to level 19 recently. It can be a very fun class, but has a higher learning curve making it somehwat unpopular. I see a ton of them in T1 as alts, but their numbers for mains drop in T2. I think this is similar to what you will see with Warrior Priests, although later. (Outside of Redeemed players I almost never see a WP healing others, just themselves.)

The Engineer is classified as a Defensive RDPS class. What does that mean? It means that you become a problem for Destro by using utilities, not high DPS. Bright Wizards are the true glass cannons. High damage/low armor. You also have to remember to raise your Weapon Skill (Armor Penetration) and your Ballistics Skill. Strength isn't useful to you really because you don't wanna be in melee range.

The engineer dishes out a lot less damage, but has other utilities that help. Land Mines, Turrets, Barb Wire, Flak Jacket. These abilities can help your team succeed.

In most scenarios, I do less damage when I guard the flag than others taht are fighting in the center. Simply because your goal is one of disruption, not massive DPS. If you go into the class with that mind, you will do fine. Is the class perfect DPS wise....no. PvE they are fine. I can kill a target quickly, but in RvR they need a little damage boost.

Squishes are your friends. I have more killing blows against Sorcerers, DoK, Witch Elves, Magus', and Squig Herders than most other classes. The Black Orc feels like I am shooting a BB gun at him, along with the Chosen. Shamans and Zealots can out heal and negate my damage.

So far I enjoy the class, but do agree that Mythic needs to look at them and the Magus. Out of all of the classes I played in Beta, they still feel the most incomplete. Classes played Orderwise include all of them. Especially when compared to the Ironbreaker and Runepriest. Maybe I am a poor Engineer or just expect a little bit more from the class.

I will give a futher review at 40.

From what I've been reading on other forums, later skills are bugged (Strafing Run) and some of the Tinkerer skills are just plain weak. But people prefer grenadier and marksman. But the gimped Engineers have sympathy for the Squig Herders, now those sound very weak.

I've got a level 8 engineer and i love him! He is officially my alt. I'll be spending a bunch more time on him in the near future. I love the idea of "defensive dps"! So much fun.

I specced the Rifleman path and have gotten him to 24. All I have to say is wow. I was on a "rampage" the other day with the snipe ability. Scored 3rd in damage in one scenario and had the most killing blows. Set up you defense and playing smart is the key. Stay mobile, set up your turret, lay land mines and punt people. When they go over 100 yards and think they are safe, hit them with snipe (150 yard range) and smile. I am glad I stuck with him.

I now officially love Sorcerers, Magus, and Witch Elves (at range).
:D

I may have to give that path a try. I've never tried that one out yet, and it sounds interesting.

I have a R20 SM but recently made a switch to Eng who is now R18. I personally love the look and feel of the class. The main ability I am looking forward to is electromagnet - which basically sucks in all destro players within a radius to your assigned location (which may be in lava) for some great AOE combos with other classes.

In my experience leveling with grenades is the easiest for spreading out damage, but I will be switching to tinkerer at 29 for the magnet.

Look up Gimcrack if you want to join in the carnage.

Back