The Forgiven Mentoring System ...

Allanon

First thought that comes across your mind when you read the subject line ... Huh? What is a coach/mentoring system and why do we need one? The idea of a coaching system is to assign one of our guildies with a new player to the guild. There are several reasons for us to implement this system. We are over 70 accounts and growing. It is increasingly becoming difficult to integrate new people and ensure they are supported within our guild. In particular, I am suggesting we implement this mentoring program for all new guild members who fall under the age of 18 (non adult). It has been our experience this group of new players need the most assistance to ensure they have a great time playing WoW. The officers have discussed that when we add a new guildie, we will need to ask how old they are and if they fall under the age of 18, we would assign them to one of our volunteers. What I would like to gauge from our membership is whether you feel this is a worthwhile exercise and whether you are willing to participate in being one of the volunteers. Duties of a volunteer:

- Point person for the new member within the guild
- Coach to ensure they are following the guild guildlines
- Conflict liaison: if a problem arises from other guildmates or from individuals outside the guild dealing with an aspect of the new member, you would assist in working it thru and making recommendations to the Officers of the guild.

Please feel free to post your thoughts and comments here. I would really appreciate hearing from you on this. Please only consider being a Coach if it interests you, it is not our desire to make this burdensome on anyone in the guild. It really comes down to how you are wired, if this type of thing generates enthusiasm then please message me in game and I will coordinate with the Officers to have you listed as a coach.

I would be interested. However I'm not sure if I would allowed to be since I'm still new to the guild myself. I would love to help out new members however in any way that I can.

Just wondering a few things. "Coach to ensure they are following the guild guildlines." I'm not quite sure on how this would be done. Would it be just to watch what they are doing and making sure they are following the rules of the guild?

I'm bumping cause I am hoping to hear from a few more people as to whether this idea should be pursued. Dstrbd, I very much appreciate your offer and if we decide to do this, I will touch base with you to figure out the details.

Last edited:
I think you have a good idea here but the problem that I have with this is that you are only targeting 18 and under. In reality, this should be applied to all new members. A 'mentor' (from a group of regular and instructed folks) should be assigned to every new member who joins.

The Forgiven has alot of information such as chat channels to join, SGA, Teamspeak information, promotion system, etc. that even though it is posted on the website in various locations it can be a bit overwhelming to the new member.

It can also be a bit daunting to the new member when we have about 20 people online and that person says hello in the guild chat and only 1 or 2 people say hello back. Who do they talk to about requesting help or going on runs, etc?

I really like the idea - original or added to. I would volunteer but I can't really help with mentoring since I play so weirdly and am not able to commint very much.

Back