The return of Left 4 Wednesdays?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
With Left 4 Dead 2.0 (you see what I did there?) renewing interest in co-op zombie-killing gameplay, I'd like to run through the campaigns in the near future.

Therefore, I'm suggesting we bring back Left 4 Wednesdays and plan to play through one campaign each week.

Nov. 25: Dead Center
Dec. 2: Dark Carnival
Dec. 9: Swamp Fever
Dec. 16: Heavy Rain
Dec. 23: The Parish

We'd have all five campaigns cleared in time for Christmas! And that way, if Valve has a Black Friday sale on Left 4 Dead 2 (and if they don't, other online retailers probably will), we could have a new influx of L4D2 players interested in playing through the campaigns.

I'm usually not able to block off one and a half to two hours to play through a full campaign on other weeknights and my availability on weekends is spotty. Setting aside one night a week for a campaign each would allow those who haven't played through them yet to do so.

Those who've already played through the campaign for that week could assemble a Versus or other game mode match instead.

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: I'd like to start at 8 p.m. Central on Wednesdays, if at all possible. Any earlier and it's difficult to gather enough players. Any later, and I don't have much time to spend with my wife before winding down for the evening.

Last edited:
I like the idea tek, though i don't have l4d2.0 yet, I will be picking it up as soon as there's a "good" sale.

I like the idea tek, though i don't have l4d2.0 yet, I will be picking it up as soon as there's a "good" sale.
If Black Friday ads are to be believed, Gamestop will have the PC version of L4D2 on sale for $30 on Nov. 27.

my only problem is the nearest gamestop is around 1hr away and I work black friday.

my only problem is the nearest gamestop is around 1hr away and I work black friday.
The sale may be available online as well. You'd have to wait a few days for it to arrive at your home, but you'd save $20.

I might try to get it if it does go on sale. 8pm central sounds good to me, because I couldn't do it much later once January comes(I have an early morning class on Thursdays next semester).

Reinstating L4Wednesdays sounds like a fine idea to me, it would be nice to have a night set apart for it.

BTW with L4D 2 are you guys going to get a new server for it and discontinue the L4D 1 server? You won't have custom maps for a while if you do though :/.

BTW with L4D 2 are you guys going to get a new server for it and discontinue the L4D 1 server? You won't have custom maps for a while if you do though :/.

IMO L4D doesn't really warrant a dedicated server. It will probably become more of an issue once/if custom campaigns start coming out in droves. L4Ds lack of automated downloads made that a major annoyance.

Cons:

1) Team size is small, at most 8 players
2) Servers are floating (meaning you basically get the server to yourself, even if you don't own it).
3) Because of how it is oriented, you typically play maybe one or two hours a day. Where as with TF2 the server can stay populated nearly 24/7.

Pros:

1) You wont join a laggy server every other time you start.
2) Smaller slot size is cheaper on most hosting companies
3) Tek can log into RCON and pester random players when he is bored

Well, since as far as I've heard, I'm solely funding the L4D server, It's staying L4D atm, but depending on the level of interest L4D2 makes in the first few months that may change. I don't want to make extra work for anyone by changing right away then deciding it's not worth it.

At the moment the only reason for having a server is for toj'er to have a server where you know you can get in and have a decent ping. Plus, the fact that we can play what ever custom campaign we want, just have to let me (or tek) know so we can upload the files to the server.

Well, since as far as I've heard, I'm solely funding the L4D server, It's staying L4D atm, but depending on the level of interest L4D2 makes in the first few months that may change. I don't want to make extra work for anyone by changing right away then deciding it's not worth it.

At the moment the only reason for having a server is for toj'er to have a server where you know you can get in and have a decent ping. Plus, the fact that we can play what ever custom campaign we want, just have to let me (or tek) know so we can upload the files to the server.

Twas just a random thought.

No worries, It was just an informational post.

Back on subject how do the people that are playing L4D1.5 feel about setting up a schedule for Wednesdays for covering campaigns?

Mark me down as one who has no problem calling Left 4 Dead 2 a real sequel, and someone who is willing to participate in some of these Wednesdays.

Slightly off-topic... but I notice some talk about waiting for a sale or a good deal.

Dell is selling L4D2 for $30.

/bump

A few of us got together to clear Dead Center on Advanced last Wednesday and had a great time.

Who's in for this Wednesday's campaign? We'll be running Dark Carnival on either Normal or Advanced.

Since I should know better then to trust Dell on their delivery estimate (my copy came today) I will be up for campaigns soon. Though, I think this Wednesday I'm going to run a L4D1 campaign with anyone interested.

I'll also try to be there. I will be late but I will show up!

(If I wont be there I'll post about it...)

<pick me pick me pick me!!>

I'll also try to be there. I will be late but I will show up!

(If I wont be there I'll post about it...)
Hey, you guys have your own thread for planning L4D1 campaign nights. :p

So who's up for Dark Carnival this Wednesday at 8 p.m. Central?

Back